U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 AM

550 posts, read 758,996 times

Advertisements

I was working for a luxury hotel at the time, and it was a wonderful experience. I should dig out all of the pins I got from guests to show my kids. Guests gave me tickets they weren't using to volleyball, track and field, and basketball events. I met Mary Lou Retton (who was kind and lovely), and plenty of other famous people/athletes/news people but she made the best impression. I actually just found a poster I bought from those olympics that I need to have framed. Great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM

22,181 posts, read 16,194,283 times
Great article in Creative Loafing about the lasting effects and build up to the 1996 Summer Games.
Atlanta's Olympic legacy | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,493,999 times
I had a great time, but I didn't go downtown at all. I was at the Conyers horse park to watch every single Dressage competition with GREAT seats. I also got to watch both cross-country phases of the team and individual competitions.

On a side note, I also got invited to go to a semi-private word of mouth "showing" of the USA dressage team practice at a farm in Bishop, GA before they moved to the "Olympic Village" in Conyers. We sat on the ground right next to the arena and we could have reached out and touched the horses as they went by we were so close. In my years of the dressage horse world it was the only time I got to see that level of riding so up close.

Out of all the competition I watched I think the most thrilling was watching Evento, ridden by Ignacia Rambla from the Spanish team, they all rode Andalusians so it was a thrill and the horsemanship was amazing, as they left the ring after their ride Rambla dropped the reins and waved to the crowd and pointed at Evento who sedately walked out of the arena - it blew me away as most of the other horses were sooo hot they had to be kept on a tight rein to exit the stadium. I also love the moment when Stephan Peters and Udon, a horse he'd owned and ridden since Udon was a 3 year old and Stephan exited the area and reached into his pocket and waved a small American Flag (Peters had become a USA citizen in '92).

After the Olympics, they opened up a trail system that was on the cross country course so it was quite a thrill to go ride the course (not doing the jumps though...LOLO) and seeing how big they were up close.

Sadly the venue has gone down hill, the last time I was there several years ago, the stalls were in poor shape and the big arena footing was a mess because of non-equestrian venues being allowed in it, so organizations were relegated to using some of the practice arenas to compete in and even then the footing has not been maintained from what I gather.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,126,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Actually Kimbro, if you factor in the number of people who've died / been born and / or moved away in the past 22 years, I'm sure that fewer than HALF the people in Metro Atlanta today were here then, maybe closer to one-third! Yet think about what those couple million people accomplished; today we can't even agree on a dang transportation tax. Imagine trying to get this fragmented metropolis behind something as silly as the Olympics!
TSLPOST and the Olympics are about as apples and oranges as you can get.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 AM

3,409 posts, read 8,492,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
TSLPOST and the Olympics are about as apples and oranges as you can get.
Yeah, but I think the point was that the dream and attitude to make Atlanta a better place was completely different than it is today. Now it's like people don't care. A few years before the Olympics, the GA 400 extension was built along with the MARTA North Line. That was the last time there has been a new freeway or MARTA rail line built.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM

13,151 posts, read 15,957,344 times
Yes, the entire STATE OF GEORGIA was excited and supportive of the Olympics. I was living in Savannah at the time (working for the local newspaper there) and can honestly tell you that the day the Olympic flame sailed up the Savannah River on a clipper ship and touched Georgia soil for the first time, was one of the most joyous and emotional days of my life. I still tear up just remembering the tens of thousands of Savannahians who lined streets ALL THROUGHOUT THE CITY and cheered those first few hours of the torch relay as it made the final journey to Atlanta.

People can diss on Atlanta and criticize the 1996 games all they want, but they will never EVER take those precious moments way from us!

And if you will excuse me now, I have to get a tissue to wipe the tears from my eyes. Just remembering it all makes me emotional!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,972,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
no problem cwkimbro! i was not even 10 years old when the olympics came to town, so unfortunately I do not remember much.. other than IZZY. LOL!! Man I miss the 90's. They were so cheesy and fun. The country was doing great. Atlanta was doing great. Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, 90210.... what more could you want? The only thing we had to worry about was Bill Clinton having sexual relations in the lincoln bedroom.
bill clinton yeaars are full of so much win! 1992-2000 the days where employers treated you right.
Miss those days, Atlanta was making real hip hop, sports was great...I miss it.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,126,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, the entire STATE OF GEORGIA was excited and supportive of the Olympics. I was living in Savannah at the time (working for the local newspaper there) and can honestly tell you that the day the Olympic flame sailed up the Savannah River on a clipper ship and touched Georgia soil for the first time, was one of the most joyous and emotional days of my life. I still tear up just remembering the tens of thousands of Savannahians who lined streets ALL THROUGHOUT THE CITY and cheered those first few hours of the torch relay as it made the final journey to Atlanta.

People can diss on Atlanta and criticize the 1996 games all they want, but they will never EVER take those precious moments way from us!

And if you will excuse me now, I have to get a tissue to wipe the tears from my eyes. Just remembering it all makes me emotional!
I recall the Olympic Torch making its way through Atlanta. I was at North Avenue as it was close to its destination. The lit cauldron would hold the flame, I think it was at City Hall, for its last leg to the stadium during the Opening Ceremonies that evening.

The torch relay was 2 hours late so I was getting a little tired of waiting. Finally something happened. The torch was preceded by a flatbed truck with Coca-Cola people, decked out in Olympic garb as naturally it was a sponsor, selling coke from the truck for $1 a bottle. They would run around the crowd as if they were just handing them out but would tell you that it would be $1 dollar. Pretty tacky. Anyway, shortly afterwards came the torch. Honestly, I thought...you mean that's it? I waited hours and hours to see some middle age woman jog by with a burning thingy? As a result, to me, the torch relay is a nice symbolic thing, worth a 30-second segment on the news, but not worth the time spent to go and see.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM

411 posts, read 255,575 times
Women's Beach Volleyball, as it is EVERY Summer Olympic Games. Not half naked women, but more like 90% naked women jumping around. Awesome.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM

731 posts, read 645,556 times
Meh. Most of them are too muscular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or