U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

13,160 posts, read 15,975,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I recall the Olympic Torch making its way through Atlanta. I was at North Avenue as it was close to its destination. The lit cauldron would hold the flame, I think it was at City Hall, for its last leg to the stadium during the Opening Ceremonies that evening.

The torch relay was 2 hours late so I was getting a little tired of waiting. Finally something happened. The torch was preceded by a flatbed truck with Coca-Cola people, decked out in Olympic garb as naturally it was a sponsor, selling coke from the truck for $1 a bottle. They would run around the crowd as if they were just handing them out but would tell you that it would be $1 dollar. Pretty tacky. Anyway, shortly afterwards came the torch. Honestly, I thought...you mean that's it? I waited hours and hours to see some middle age woman jog by with a burning thingy? As a result, to me, the torch relay is a nice symbolic thing, worth a 30-second segment on the news, but not worth the time spent to go and see.
Mathman, really?!

It wasn't the torch or even flame itself that was lasting and meaningful, it was the tradition and pageantry of it. I'm sorry you look at life through such jaundiced eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,131,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Mathman, really?!

It wasn't the torch or even flame itself that was lasting and meaningful, it was the tradition and pageantry of it. I'm sorry you look at life through such jaundiced eyes.
Really.

Tradition...maybe...pageantry...what pageantry? It was a middle-aged lady doing a slow jog, carrying a flame, flanked by motorcycles and a small entourage of vehicles behind all preceded by Coca-Cola people on a flatbed truck hawking cokes. I waited for hours for an event that took a couple of minutes to go by. Which is why it is better to catch it on the 6 o'clock news. Or on the Olympics broadcast compete with voice-over, camera closeup, and dramatic music (horns blaring and all that). They'll give it the few seconds it deserves.

The only sound effect I got was the nearby church ringing its bells when the torch approached. Other than that seeing it live is a total bore. The Dragon*Con parade is much more entertaining.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM

22,207 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Default The 1996 Olympics were the case study for London

The Legacy of the London Olympics? Memories and Debt - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
The 2012 London Olympics have left the city and the UK in debt, 11.3 billion pounds, and did little to help the economy. Were the Atlanta 1996 Olympics the last to make a profit and not have the host city left in tens of billions in debt. The 2012 games were credited for the 1% economic growth in the UK for the third quarter, but was it worth it. Not as many people traveled to the games and who can blame them with ticket prices, when people can watch live TV from home on HD.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM

165 posts, read 677,250 times
While on this topic, just wanted to ask if any of y'all here attended the 10th anniversary celebrations of the Atlanta games? This was held close to Centennial Park in July 2006. There was a Trisha Yearwood mini-concert after the show(which had Carl Lewis, Bob Costas and Janet Evans).

I'm not a southerner but was travelling through Atlanta then. Needless to say Atlanta is/has been my favorite city and I still cherish the 5 months I've spent there

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,964,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy7 View Post
While on this topic, just wanted to ask if any of y'all here attended the 10th anniversary celebrations of the Atlanta games? This was held close to Centennial Park in July 2006. There was a Trisha Yearwood mini-concert after the show(which had Carl Lewis, Bob Costas and Janet Evans).

I'm not a southerner but was travelling through Atlanta then. Needless to say Atlanta is/has been my favorite city and I still cherish the 5 months I've spent there
I don't remember 10 year anniversary celebrations at all, but good to know they took place. We will be marking the 20th year since the ATL summer Olympics in just 3.5 years now.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM

100 posts, read 108,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Legacy of the London Olympics? Memories and Debt - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
The 2012 London Olympics have left the city and the UK in debt, 11.3 billion pounds, and did little to help the economy. Were the Atlanta 1996 Olympics the last to make a profit and not have the host city left in tens of billions in debt. The 2012 games were credited for the 1% economic growth in the UK for the third quarter, but was it worth it. Not as many people traveled to the games and who can blame them with ticket prices, when people can watch live TV from home on HD.
Oh dear. Please get a sense of reality. The Atlanta games is famous for nothing but rampant consumerism. So much so that restaurants near to Olympuc venues in London were not even allowed to write the word 'Olympics' on their boards or signage. That's because the Atlanta games are generally recognized as the year the Games sold out to Coke and every other company who could sponsor an event that was never designed to be a corporate shindig. Every city since has suffered ridiculous penalties for that huge sell-out.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM

22,207 posts, read 16,223,527 times
Quote:
Oh dear. Please get a sense of reality. The Atlanta games is famous for nothing but rampant consumerism. So much so that restaurants near to Olympuc venues in London were not even allowed to write the word 'Olympics' on their boards or signage. That's because the Atlanta games are generally recognized as the year the Games sold out to Coke and every other company who could sponsor an event that was never designed to be a corporate shindig. Every city since has suffered ridiculous penalties for that huge sell-out.
At least Atlanta and the State of Georgia isn't in billions of dollars of debt and have venues that are sitting unused. Yes the games were over-commericalize, but the citizens didn't have to suffer to pay for the infrastructure upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or