Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 12,292 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a YP relocating to the Atlanta area and working in Roswell. I'd like to live around other young professionals and not in a family-oriented suburb. I would be working an early afternoon/evening shift so I'm assuming traffic won't be a huge problem. I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'm also on a pretty tight budget and would prefer to stay under $700-750 rent.

People have recommended the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter Center area to me because it's in my budget and also close to 400. I've also been recommended Smyrna/Vinings but the commute would be too long. I've also looked at Buckhead which fits my commute/young professional criteria but I'm not sure if it's affordable for me.

Any advice? I know Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area is a major business area, but do a lot of YPs live there? Are there any other neighborhoods that you guys would recommend?

Thank you!

1. Budget - $700-750 max
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Renting apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) - None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - urban or a mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals; some bars/nightlife/restaurants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,758 times
I would go with roswell if you can find something within your budget. It is a little bit more family oriented than what you are looking for but it does have a great, vibrant downtown with some good bars.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
A lot of it depends on how you plan to live.

If you're working evenings, I assume that means you'll be getting off after 8pm most nights. Do you intend to go out and have drinks after work most nights?

If so, then probably the closer into town, the better. Perimeter area does have some pubs, but it's really more of a happy hour kind of vibe, and maybe a later scene for older people staying at the hotels. But for young folks who will be out late during the week, you're really talking about midtown, Viriginia Highland, etc.

Of course, if you're happy just finding one nice spot that you go to again and again, there probably is something you can find in Perimeter. Or if you really save your going out for weekends only, driving into Atlanta from there just twice a week isn't bad at all, but it could get old every day.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on Perimeter and Buckhead. The reason is because Perimeter has a ton of commercial activity and a few bars/restaurants, and Buckhead is crawling with young people. If you are in a town like Roswell or Smyrna, I feel like you would probably feel really lonely really fast because most of the people who live there would be getting ready for bed around the time you are just getting home from work, at least during the week. The more 24 hour, the better.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
If you can find an apartment within your price range, Buckhead would be your best bet--but you'd have to pay a toll every day (50 cents each way) or purchase a peach pass.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
I would also recommend Buckhead. If you look hard enough, I think you will be able to find something in your price range. I do a very similar commute from Buckhead to Alpharetta and I make it in less than 20 minutes some days. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Thanks for your help everyone!

I have a lot of friends in the area but they all live Downtown/Midtown/VH and don't know a lot about living OTP. I would like to go out during the week, but not every night, so I think the Perimeter area may be the best bet for me. It makes sense to live in Roswell and not spend gas/time commuting (and I've heard the Roswell downtown is nice like StAubin said), but I also don't want to be lonely like ATLTJL said, especially since I am already working irregular hours.

A couple more questions:

If I did live in Buckhead, would it be impossible to find a safe apartment with a $750 budget? I've seen some places listed with that price but I'm unsure about the safety. I'd rather find a safer place in Perimeter for the same price.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Buckhead is very safe. Perimeter has some young professionals, but not more than Buckhead. Both have MARTA stations for easy access midtown and downtown.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
You want to live within easy reach of GA 400. There are lots of places in Buckhead where getting to 400 would be a chore, so avoid those.

And remember, distance does not always equal ease. If you approach GA 400 from the north and shoot down Wieuca to Lenox Road, it's much easier than trying to approach it from Piedmont.

That's why I prefer the northern part of Buckhead near Wieuca and Peachtree, but the rents do tend to be higher there. You may consider going a bit north to Brookhaven where things will be a tad quieter, but you'll still be really close to the action. If you stay close to Peachtree, you'll be fine.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Okay I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again everyone!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen174 View Post
Hi all,
I am a YP relocating to the Atlanta area and working in Roswell. I'd like to live around other young professionals and not in a family-oriented suburb. I would be working an early afternoon/evening shift so I'm assuming traffic won't be a huge problem. I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'm also on a pretty tight budget and would prefer to stay under $700-750 rent.

People have recommended the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter Center area to me because it's in my budget and also close to 400. I've also been recommended Smyrna/Vinings but the commute would be too long. I've also looked at Buckhead which fits my commute/young professional criteria but I'm not sure if it's affordable for me.

Any advice? I know Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area is a major business area, but do a lot of YPs live there? Are there any other neighborhoods that you guys would recommend?

Thank you!

1. Budget - $700-750 max
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Renting apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) - None
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - urban or a mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- young professionals; some bars/nightlife/restaurants

What times are you driving to and leaving work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta