Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM

188 posts, read 297,201 times
I'm terrified by this remake. I never thought there would be another disastrous film that ruins an original as much as Indiana Jones 4 did, but Ferris Bueller rebooted in Atlanta could indeed take the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
OK, so I am barely able to contain myself... but today I heard a rumor from a FRIEND of a guy who works at the EUE/Screengems, and heard about this WHOPPER that could absolutely and permantenlty TRANSFORM Atlanta's place in pop culture.

Apparently, the powers at be in Hollywood are considering a re-make of 1986's Ferris Bueller's Day Off. However, it wouldnt be a "true" remake, since it would be set in the present day... and in... *drumroll*... the NEW Atlanta.

As those who have seen the original know, the film's plot is heavily dependent on its setting, which was Chicago. But can you imagine a remake set in the NEW Atlanta, but with the same storyline?

AWESOME! It would shift Atlanta's recent attention as "Anycity, USA" to Atlanta, USA, with positive attention on the things that make the NEW Atlanta so COOL. We would FINALLY be able to CHUCK the old Atlanta into the GRAVE as the nation fully accepts the NEW Atlanta!

I wanted to post this here to see if we can make comparisons for what the hooky-playing teens would do.

Original (Chicago)
Suburb - Winnetka, Illinois
Cubs game at Wrigley Field
The Sears Tower
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Chicago Board of Exchange
Von Steuben Day Parade
French restaurant

Re-make (the NEW Atlanta)
Suburb - Dunwoody or East Cobb
Braves game at Turner Field
Canopy Walk or GA Aquarium
High Museum
The InterContinental Exchange (to be constructed in Buckhead, 2013)
Parade downtown - Dragon*Con?
Cool intown restaurant – Abbatoir? Parish?

---------------

Also, there could be some backlash if this is true. See what John Hughes said about Chicago and the movie:

"I really wanted to capture as much of Chicago as I could. Not just in the architecture and landscape, but the spirit."

"Chicago is what I am," said Hughes. "A lot of Ferris is sort of my love letter to the city."

So, perhaps Chicagoans would be offended by such a re-make. Ferris Bueller fans may lament that it really wasn’t Ferris Bueller if it wasn’t in Chicago.

BUT...

If they were updating the movie to present times, wouldn’t it make sense to shift the setting to the Sun Belt, which best represent 2012 America in the same way Chicago best represented 1986 America? Houston, Dallas, Phoenix all would work... it just so happens the NEW Atlanta has an edge with filming infrastructure.

THOUGHTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?
Uh, this could be a fun exercise, but the movie will do very little, if anything for Atlanta's image, as virtually nobody will see it. Even if a lot of people do see it, anyone who bases their opinion of a city on a sub-par remake of a classic movie is someone whose opinion carries no weight at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
oh god, this would be like the footloose remake

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,281 times
Ferris Bueller goes to Magic City.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Hollywood definitely has a hard time coming up with original ideas and the endless parade of remakes is tiresome. This would probably be a disaster, but I could see it being okay if they didn't do a remake, but just took the theme of the first and used that while updating it.

Hughes wanted to make it a love letter to Chicago and show the spirit of the city. So instead of taking the iconic things from Chicago and trying to match those with similar things in Atlanta, they would need to focus on Atlanta's personality. A movie could capture the imagination of America if it would show off the unique personality of Atlanta, but they would probably just try to match the original shot for shot and it would end up being a lesser version of the original.

For instance, I don't remember music being particularly in Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Atlanta has a lot of musical heritage and some of that could be included.

Turner Field is great, but showing a scene there would be a "lesser" version of Wrigley, so maybe have the protagonist sneak into the SEC Championship game?

I like the Dragon*Con suggestion, as well as something to do with CNN.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Ferris Bueller goes to Magic City.
instead of the drop top sports car, he'll have an old school Chevelle

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
OK, so I am barely able to contain myself... but today I heard a rumor from a FRIEND of a guy who works at the EUE/Screengems, and heard about this WHOPPER that could absolutely and permantenlty TRANSFORM Atlanta's place in pop culture.

Apparently, the powers at be in Hollywood are considering a re-make of 1986's Ferris Bueller's Day Off. However, it wouldnt be a "true" remake, since it would be set in the present day... and in... *drumroll*... the NEW Atlanta.

As those who have seen the original know, the film's plot is heavily dependent on its setting, which was Chicago. But can you imagine a remake set in the NEW Atlanta, but with the same storyline?

AWESOME! It would shift Atlanta's recent attention as "Anycity, USA" to Atlanta, USA, with positive attention on the things that make the NEW Atlanta so COOL. We would FINALLY be able to CHUCK the old Atlanta into the GRAVE as the nation fully accepts the NEW Atlanta!

I wanted to post this here to see if we can make comparisons for what the hooky-playing teens would do.

Original (Chicago)
Suburb - Winnetka, Illinois
Cubs game at Wrigley Field
The Sears Tower
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Chicago Board of Exchange
Von Steuben Day Parade
French restaurant

Re-make (the NEW Atlanta)
Suburb - Dunwoody or East Cobb
Braves game at Turner Field
Canopy Walk or GA Aquarium
High Museum
The InterContinental Exchange (to be constructed in Buckhead, 2013)
Parade downtown - Dragon*Con?
Cool intown restaurant – Abbatoir? Parish?

---------------

Also, there could be some backlash if this is true. See what John Hughes said about Chicago and the movie:

"I really wanted to capture as much of Chicago as I could. Not just in the architecture and landscape, but the spirit."

"Chicago is what I am," said Hughes. "A lot of Ferris is sort of my love letter to the city."

So, perhaps Chicagoans would be offended by such a re-make. Ferris Bueller fans may lament that it really wasn’t Ferris Bueller if it wasn’t in Chicago.

BUT...

If they were updating the movie to present times, wouldn’t it make sense to shift the setting to the Sun Belt, which best represent 2012 America in the same way Chicago best represented 1986 America? Houston, Dallas, Phoenix all would work... it just so happens the NEW Atlanta has an edge with filming infrastructure.

THOUGHTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?
Eh... I don't think "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" did a whole lot for Chicago's image. Nor will it for Atlanta. The Olympics did more for Atlanta's image. I doubt such a remake will give us a NEW Atlanta.

Besides, I think that film is WAY over-rated.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Agreed. As much as I love Atlanta, as someone born in the 70s I'm sick of Hollywood ripping my favorite childhood movies for cheap profit. I mean seriously, they're remaking Total Recall and Mars isn't in the script. What. The. {censored}
Mars is not in the new script??? Then it ain't Total Recall then...!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 PM

208 posts, read 419,180 times
That could have a scene where they accidentally end up below I-20 in the hood.... or maybe that MARTA girl could play Ferris's girlfriend.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I wouldn't mind us getting remake/franchise movies, so long as they were good ones.

For example, they are shooting a lot of Iron Man 3 at Screen Gems studios.....in Wilmington.

How cool would it be to have Iron Man 3 here? Oh well, there's always the Avengers 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta