U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,120,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Dude, shut up nobody wants to see an Atlanta filled with dirty pretentious hipsters. Just face it when people think of Atlanta they think of King, Laface records, Andrew Young, John Lewis, Lil John, tricked out cars, big houses, college life (GSU, Georgia Tech, Spelman, Morehouse, AUC, etc), football, and the entrepreneurial spirit. When people think of Atlanta nobody thinks of cute little coffee shops, hipsters walking ugly dogs, and all of the other pretentiousness that comes with people who want to turn Atlanta into east village. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with folks like this, but thats not Atlanta, sorry.
Guess we should tell those GT students that Atlanta's safe too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM

187 posts, read 331,588 times
Quote:
Dude, shut up nobody wants to see an Atlanta filled with dirty pretentious hipsters. Just face it when people think of Atlanta they think of King, Laface records, Andrew Young, John Lewis, Lil John, tricked out cars, big houses, college life (GSU, Georgia Tech, Spelman, Morehouse, AUC, etc), football, and the entrepreneurial spirit. When people think of Atlanta nobody thinks of cute little coffee shops, hipsters walking ugly dogs, and all of the other pretentiousness that comes with people who want to turn Atlanta into east village. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with folks like this, but thats not Atlanta, sorry.
Actually, it IS Atlanta. The Atlanta you described is dying a quick death, if it's not already dead. It's DEATH has been VERY well-documented:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...pagewanted=all

https://www.facebook.com/blockthebeltline

The gentry are coming | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Decatur Metro Atlanta's Unmatched Gentrification

Even HOLLYWOOD is catching on:

What to Expect When You're Expecting Trailer.flv - YouTube

^Residents of the NEW Atlanta. And I didn't see a SINGLE "tricked out car."

Face it, my description of Atlanta is not just CURRENT, but the FUTURE.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Box

382 posts, read 535,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
So Atlanta is "progressing" by being the setting of a 1986 remake? Sounds old and staid to me.
I would like to see a remake set in Atlanta just because i think that it could be a hit among ATLiens, and people who are familiar with the new generation, especially when it comes to what people perceive as Atlanta's culture. But to tout remaking Ferris Bueller to put Atlanta on the map is kind of laughable, the movie worked for the context in which it was made ie 1980's Chicago, you can't take that formula and try to force it on Atlanta without taking into account the context of Atlanta's culture.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Actually, it IS Atlanta. The Atlanta you described is dying a quick death, if it's not already dead. It's DEATH has been VERY well-documented:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...pagewanted=all

https://www.facebook.com/blockthebeltline

Decatur Metro Atlanta's Unmatched Gentrification

Yeah, because so many people are clamoring to see what to expect when you're expecting. Face it, nobody thinks of the stuff that i touched on before when I mention Atlanta. I had an oppurtunity to hang out with some Germans a few years ago, and when i mentioned that I was from Atlanta one of them went "A town down" and started talking about how he loves lil jon and other artists which are similar. Anytime I travel to any other states, most people talk about wanting to move to Atlanta because of the factors that I mentioned before. I just think that you're living in your own world mate. But again, not saying there's nothing wrong with certain parts of Atlanta that are trying to emulate Manhattan, but thats not what people think of when people hear Atlanta.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,120,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post

That movie got bad reviews and did poor box office. Maybe it should have been set in Chicago?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That movie got bad reviews and did poor box office. Maybe it should have been set in Chicago?
See, I didn't even know that they released the movie already.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 PM

207 posts, read 248,681 times
Quote:
Yeah, because so many people are clamoring to see what to expect when you're expecting. Face it, nobody thinks of the stuff that i touched on before when I mention Atlanta. I had an oppurtunity to hang out with some Germans a few years ago, and when i mentioned that I was from Atlanta one of them went "A town down" and started talking about how he loves lil jon and other artists which are similar. Anytime I travel to any other states, most people talk about wanting to move to Atlanta because of the factors that I mentioned before. I just think that you're living in your own world mate. But again, not saying there's nothing wrong with certain parts of Atlanta that are trying to emulate Manhattan, but thats not what people think of when people hear Atlanta.
"Most people" talk about wanting to move to Atlanta because there are "tricked-out" cars here? Well, I suppose it's no wonder that this city is on its death bed.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
"Most people" talk about wanting to move to Atlanta because there are "tricked-out" cars here? Well, I suppose it's no wonder that this city is on its death bed.
Yes, ignore the other factors that I listed.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM

207 posts, read 248,681 times
Quote:
Yes, ignore the other factors that I listed.
No, it makes perfect sense, and is perfectly in-line with a dying city. Please understand, I am not disagreeing with you. As you so aptly pointed out, a city without a future does not attract bright people; it only attracts those who want to work at the Wal-mart where Lil' John shops and live behind the headquarters of a 1990s-era record label.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
No, it makes perfect sense, and is perfectly in-line with a dying city. Please understand, I am not disagreeing with you. As you so aptly pointed out, a city without a future does not attract bright people; it only attracts those who want to work at the Wal-mart where Lil' John shops and live behind the headquarters of a 1990s-era record label.
So bright people aren't attracted to Atlanta's college scene, entrepreneurial spirit, and its cultural flavor (which contrary to popular belief spans beyond Lil Jon). Got ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or