U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
 
207 posts, read 257,340 times
Reputation: 112

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Of course the fact that Atlantas main economic driver having to do with housing had nothing to do with this.
Atlanta's main economic driver was job growth, not housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Box
 
382 posts, read 549,935 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Atlanta doesn't need people, it needs jobs.



While the effect is there, it's minimal. Atlanta is known for its uneducated citizens, not its educated ones.



Was it not you that declared what Atlanta is known for and what it is not? I simply agreed that Atlanta is not known for intellectualism, let alone coffee shops.



Atlanta may be viewed as successful by some people because it's where Usher was born or where Lisa Lopes burned a house down, but statistics show that it is not succeeding; indeed, it is failing, and at an alarmingly fast rate.
lol I just think that you're in denial mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Box
 
382 posts, read 549,935 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Atlanta's main economic driver was job growth, not housing.
That doesn't even make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
 
207 posts, read 257,340 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
lol I just think that you're in denial mate.
Statistics don't lie. The nation has moved on from Atlanta; it only appeals to those who gauge a city's value based on how many celebrities live there. Atlanta's spectacular economic collapse is merely an effect of this.

Thus, Atlanta's unrefined image reinforces its economic decline, resulting in a never-ending death spiral. Perhaps Hollywood could resurrect Atlanta's image, but it would take an original box office hit that completely re-defines the city; a remake of Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not enough to right the ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
 
207 posts, read 257,340 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
That doesn't even make sense.
It makes perfect sense to those who understand economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Box
 
382 posts, read 549,935 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
Statistics don't lie. The nation has moved on from Atlanta; it only appeals to those who gauge a city's value based on how many celebrities live there. Atlanta's spectacular economic collapse is merely an effect of this.

Thus, Atlanta's unrefined image reinforces its economic decline, resulting in a never-ending death spiral. Perhaps Hollywood could resurrect Atlanta's image, but it would take an original smash box office hit that completely re-defines the city; a remake of Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not enough to right the ship.
Well all I have to say is that I disagree. Just because Atlanta's economy isn't as robust as it was before the recession doesn't mean its best days are in the past. As a matter of fact this down cycle gives us a better opportunity to promote innovation and create new kinds of job that Atlanta/the region wasn't really focusing on before. Hell, something as simple as the upcoming transportation referendum could help pick things up in the future for the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,402,958 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
No, it makes perfect sense, and is perfectly in-line with a dying city. Please understand, I am not disagreeing with you. As you so aptly pointed out, a city without a future does not attract bright people; it only attracts those who want to work at the Wal-mart where Lil' John shops and live behind the headquarters of a 1990s-era record label.
That's call a straw man Box gave a list of things "obviously not everything" that some people may like or think about Atlanta. And you came back and straw man his entire post, just saying.

Then you straw man people who enjoyed pop culture or like something with in as not bright. There's so many things wrong with that, what's your favorite artist or band? If someone said people who like or listen to her, him or them were not bright, and they are people who want to work at the Wal-mart how would you feel?

Then I doubt lil John commonly shop at a walmart, and if want to attack Atlanta place in music you got to come harder then that. Due the countless artists, major labels, and studies finding Atlanta is the most musically followed city right now. "headquarters of a 1990s-era record label." is pretty fail to what Atlanta is in mainstream music currently.

I realize you want to rant with a pessimistic view of Atlanta economically "dying" And I would love to debate that with you! because you have a sample bias of listening to only negative answers to feed you wishfully thinking. Let be real you want Atlanta to "die" and if someone post something other wise there a home town boasters I know. But never the less this thread is actually about pop culture. The OP topic is pop culture related, trying to get people to debate Atlanta is dying and non smart people are moving here is off topic. What do Ferris Bueller have to do with Economics? Unless your talking about ticket and music sales, or Atlanta popularity in pop culture is dying your off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Box
 
382 posts, read 549,935 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
It makes perfect sense to those who understand economics.
Do you understand economics? You're basically saying Atlanta's economy was good because "It had a lot of jobs" and that my statement about the housing industry creating that job growth was false. But whatever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
 
207 posts, read 257,340 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Do you understand economics? You're basically saying Atlanta's economy was good because "It had a lot of jobs" and that my statement about the housing industry creating that job growth was false. But whatever floats your boat.
No. The robust job growth of the 1990s fueled the demand for housing. The growth of housing-related jobs was an effect of the growth in non-housing-related jobs, not a cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Box
 
382 posts, read 549,935 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
No. The robust job growth of the 1990s fueled the demand for housing. The growth of housing-related jobs was an effect of the growth in non-housing-related jobs, not a cause.
Job growth in the 90's did play a part in the growth of housing, but the growth in housing is what really made Atlanta take off when the region reached its peak. Housing is the easiest way to create a lot of jobs, just because so many industries benefit when you have a lot of people buying homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top