U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM

187 posts, read 331,840 times

Advertisements

OK, so I am barely able to contain myself... but today I heard a rumor from a FRIEND of a guy who works at the EUE/Screengems, and heard about this WHOPPER that could absolutely and permantenlty TRANSFORM Atlanta's place in pop culture.

Apparently, the powers at be in Hollywood are considering a re-make of 1986's Ferris Bueller's Day Off. However, it wouldnt be a "true" remake, since it would be set in the present day... and in... *drumroll*... the NEW Atlanta.

As those who have seen the original know, the film's plot is heavily dependent on its setting, which was Chicago. But can you imagine a remake set in the NEW Atlanta, but with the same storyline?

AWESOME! It would shift Atlanta's recent attention as "Anycity, USA" to Atlanta, USA, with positive attention on the things that make the NEW Atlanta so COOL. We would FINALLY be able to CHUCK the old Atlanta into the GRAVE as the nation fully accepts the NEW Atlanta!

I wanted to post this here to see if we can make comparisons for what the hooky-playing teens would do.

Original (Chicago)
Suburb - Winnetka, Illinois
Cubs game at Wrigley Field
The Sears Tower
The Art Institute of Chicago
The Chicago Board of Exchange
Von Steuben Day Parade
French restaurant

Re-make (the NEW Atlanta)
Suburb - Dunwoody or East Cobb
Braves game at Turner Field
Canopy Walk or GA Aquarium
High Museum
The InterContinental Exchange (to be constructed in Buckhead, 2013)
Parade downtown - Dragon*Con?
Cool intown restaurant – Abbatoir? Parish?

---------------

Also, there could be some backlash if this is true. See what John Hughes said about Chicago and the movie:

"I really wanted to capture as much of Chicago as I could. Not just in the architecture and landscape, but the spirit."

"Chicago is what I am," said Hughes. "A lot of Ferris is sort of my love letter to the city."

So, perhaps Chicagoans would be offended by such a re-make. Ferris Bueller fans may lament that it really wasn’t Ferris Bueller if it wasn’t in Chicago.

BUT...

If they were updating the movie to present times, wouldn’t it make sense to shift the setting to the Sun Belt, which best represent 2012 America in the same way Chicago best represented 1986 America? Houston, Dallas, Phoenix all would work... it just so happens the NEW Atlanta has an edge with filming infrastructure.

THOUGHTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 PM

361 posts, read 454,546 times
Just... No. And I'm an unabashed homer saying this.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,916,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
OK, so I am barely able to contain myself... but today I heard a rumor from a FRIEND of a guy who works at the EUE/Screengems, and heard about this WHOPPER that could absolutely and permantenlty TRANSFORM Atlanta's place in pop culture.

Apparently, the powers at be in Hollywood are considering a re-make of 1986's Ferris Bueller's Day Off. However, it wouldnt be a "true" remake, since it would be set in the present day... and in... *drumroll*... the NEW Atlanta.
I don't watch movie remakes as a rule. Most of them are stupid. Some are interesting reinterpretations, but I generally wait until they're on Netflix even in those cases.

May the movie studios lost their shorts for showing such a lack of imagination. Apparently they can't actually read anymore, and thus are forced to use old movies as their own source of story ideas...

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM

284 posts, read 456,713 times
The Super Bowl commercial was off putting enough. I'd hate to have my city associated with something that will surely be reviled.

But for pure fantasy's sake, ATL versions of key scenes:

Cameron's home: that amazing contemporary home(?) on the precipice of boulevard at freedom pkwy ( I knew the real-life version of Cameron in ATL, complete w a dad neurotically obsessed with an ugly rare Saab)

Instead of Ferris hacking into his school system software, we could just show educators in the teachers lounge erasing & rewriting the data (ouch...)

Completely agree with the dragon con parade ( or the Caribbean festival- perhaps a Cecile the dance hall queen or elephant man serenade?!)

Snooty restaurant--(what I got out of that scene, at least) : NOT abbatoir! Could name some but won't.

Redoing the sad, existential art scene at the coca cola museum's temple of advertising exhibit

Instead of the Charlie sheen cameo, rob Lowe would be a sleazy Atlanta nod

...but seriously....NO.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM

7,798 posts, read 11,743,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
Just... No. And I'm an unabashed homer saying this.
Agreed. As much as I love Atlanta, as someone born in the 70s I'm sick of Hollywood ripping my favorite childhood movies for cheap profit. I mean seriously, they're remaking Total Recall and Mars isn't in the script. What. The. {censored}

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,270,906 times
Actually if they call pull of making the character development and the story line fit into today's culture better.... and not directly make it "ferris Bueller," but instead something all new... I think it would be great.

The catch... it can never directly be a Ferris Beuller... nothing can live up to the original in name. You can't mess up the character development and if the story line isn't completely relevant to today, then people will just slam the movie as a major fail. People will hold it to a higher standard and put it under a microscope.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:18 AM

7,707 posts, read 9,552,968 times
Maybe it will be Madea's Day Off and she will go to a boarded up Justin's and then the black gay pride parade (I don't think they even do a parade, I'm just joking here!)

Anyway, I'm afraid it's extremely unlikely that the movie would do anything other than stay in theaters for a week or perhaps go straight to DVD. Is anyone clamouring for a new Ferris Bueller? The old one actually holds up decently well. I don't think there's too much of a chance this film could possibly do well or be interesting.

But if it did.....

Maybe they could go to CNN and inadvertently get on national TV, like at the ball game in Chicago?
Or they could get kicked out of the Coke building for drinking Pepsi?
I think they'd have to go up to the Sundial.
If they could work the Clermont in....but for high school kids, probably not (though Blondie did say she wanted to try acting!)
Perhaps they could go to Cumberland Mall and the guys from Kriss Kross could make a cameo.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,270,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe it will be Madea's Day Off and she will go to a boarded up Justin's and then the black gay pride parade (I don't think they even do a parade, I'm just joking here!)

Anyway, I'm afraid it's extremely unlikely that the movie would do anything other than stay in theaters for a week or perhaps go straight to DVD. Is anyone clamouring for a new Ferris Bueller? The old one actually holds up decently well. I don't think there's too much of a chance this film could possibly do well or be interesting.

But if it did.....

Maybe they could go to CNN and inadvertently get on national TV, like at the ball game in Chicago?
Or they could get kicked out of the Coke building for drinking Pepsi?
I think they'd have to go up to the Sundial.
If they could work the Clermont in....but for high school kids, probably not (though Blondie did say she wanted to try acting!)
Perhaps they could go to Cumberland Mall and the guys from Kriss Kross could make a cameo.
I know people have been asked to cover up their shirt with a pepsi long on it... or leave. Some people have done that without even thinking about it.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:54 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,565,309 times
if it was an ORIGINAL movie that had the sort of impact as ferris bueller... i'd be okay with it. but a remake? everyone's going to hate it and it won't be as good as the original.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM

269 posts, read 752,390 times
itll be hard to beat the original but some remakes are okay...I really liked Father of the Bride as a remake, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was a remake and was good (better than the latest I think)...and if its bad it will just reaffirm the awesomeness of the original!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or