U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,815 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am a 29 y/o female wanting to move to Atl. I have been visiting since I was 20. From my first visit I wanted to move there. My feelings have not changed.I have visited schools, looked for apartments, filled out job apps, been on a few interviews. And, I have now convinced my boyfriend to move there after one visit. I am weighing the pros and cons. Here's what I know/like:

The "Southern Hospitality"
The climate
Has city access but country charm

I usually stay in the Dunwoody/ Area and when I move that's where I will be pretty much looking to live

Things that I'm uncertain about:

The job market I hear is unbelieveably tough ( However in Chgo its played by politics)

---I have a background in Restaurant Management so finding that same job wont be that hard, Right?

High Crime Areas

Best Schools Private/Public

I realize that I'm leaving a beautiful downtown for a mediocre one, so tell me something that puts ATL up one over the Chi!

Thanks for all responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,114,209 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
The "Southern Hospitality"
+++
There is no such thing as Southern Hospitality!!!!
Numerous posts on the forum about that... overwhelming consensus.

Hotel workers that smile at you and say nice things are getting paid to do that.
When some stranger stops you before you get into the lobby of the hotel and instead offers a bed at their home for free, then we can talk about southern hospitality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
The climate
+++
Better than most. I'll agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
Has city access but country charm
+++
And also country nothing-to-do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
I usually stay in the Dunwoody/ Area and when I move that's where I will be pretty much looking to live
+++
Excellent taste in areas. That is one of the most sought after areas and most expensive.
Housing crisis? What housing crisis?
I wouldn't move there without a lot of savings and nearby high paying job lined up for the both of you and your bf.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
The job market I hear is unbelieveably tough ( However in Chgo its played by politics)
+++
For most lines of work, it's pretty tough. But not all lines of work.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
High Crime Areas
+++
I thought you picked out Dunwoody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
Best Schools Private/Public
+++
I thought you picked out Dunwoody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
I realize that I'm leaving a beautiful downtown for a mediocre one, so tell me something that puts ATL up one over the Chi!
+++
Oh thanks a lot.
I think some of the most notable differences is Atlanta is a LOT smaller city. Even though it's still a huge city (too big for most), and it's very pretty, hilly, green and woodsy. Although I know that Chicago has a few neighborhoods with some wooded natural areas and some streets lined with old trees, the majority of it is flat and plain. Atlanta is much closer to several national forests and state parks and mountainous wilderness areas. We have a better baseball team and more usable days for outdoor activities. Our transit system doesn't compare but our roads are a hell of a lot better than yours. And there are plenty of places here to buy boiled peanuts. Aside from that, I think it's safe to say that chicago reigns supreme in all other categories (including, -from what I've been told-, the cost of living.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
912
 
1,531 posts, read 2,541,266 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
+++
I think it's safe to say that chicago reigns supreme in all other categories (including, -from what I've been told-, the cost of living.)
You've been grossly misinformed.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
 
14,509 posts, read 7,171,088 times
Reputation: 7480
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
+++
There is no such thing as Southern Hospitality!!!!
Numerous posts on the forum about that... overwhelming consensus.

Hotel workers that smile at you and say nice things are getting paid to do that.
When some stranger stops you before you get into the lobby of the hotel and instead offers a bed at their home for free, then we can talk about southern hospitality.



+++
Better than most. I'll agree with that.


+++
And also country nothing-to-do.


+++
Excellent taste in areas. That is one of the most sought after areas and most expensive.
Housing crisis? What housing crisis?
I wouldn't move there without a lot of savings and nearby high paying job lined up for the both of you and your bf.



+++
For most lines of work, it's pretty tough. But not all lines of work.




+++
I thought you picked out Dunwoody?


+++
I thought you picked out Dunwoody?


+++
Oh thanks a lot.
I think some of the most notable differences is Atlanta is a LOT smaller city. Even though it's still a huge city (too big for most), and it's very pretty, hilly, green and woodsy. Although I know that Chicago has a few neighborhoods with some wooded natural areas and some streets lined with old trees, the majority of it is flat and plain. Atlanta is much closer to several national forests and state parks and mountainous wilderness areas. We have a better baseball team and more usable days for outdoor activities. Our transit system doesn't compare but our roads are a hell of a lot better than yours. And there are plenty of places here to buy boiled peanuts. Aside from that, I think it's safe to say that chicago reigns supreme in all other categories (including, -from what I've been told-, the cost of living.)

I pretty much agree with everything above. The only exception is that even though Atlanta metro is "woody" and has a lot of trees, Chicago has more parks than Atlanta and they have the lake, outdoor activities are much closer (most neighborhoods in Chicago have a neighborhood park with playground/rec center etc, at least near my in-laws and they stay in the feared southside, they have much more access to greenspaces there than in Atlanta, where you have to drive somewhere instead of just walk a few blocks, Chicago also has good treescape and is much more well kept, at least better IMO than Atlanta, city proper. Dunwoody is nicer than most parts of Atlanta).

I personally wouldn't move though until you found a job. Even though the cost of living is thought to be cheaper here, the wages are much lower as well and they want you to have more education here IMO for jobs in the midwest. Really the only difference in cost of living that I can tell are taxes, you are taxed more in Chicago, but honestly, you get better services due to that tax money. I agree with the bolded area but that is a personal opinion. I can see why Atlanta would be tempting, especially considering the winters in Chicago. Though you will have to get used to brutal summers here in Atlanta, you won't have to deal with mountains of snow and for many that is a good trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
 
207 posts, read 249,584 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
I am a 29 y/o female wanting to move to Atl. I have been visiting since I was 20. From my first visit I wanted to move there. My feelings have not changed.I have visited schools, looked for apartments, filled out job apps, been on a few interviews. And, I have now convinced my boyfriend to move there after one visit. I am weighing the pros and cons. Here's what I know/like:

The "Southern Hospitality"
The climate
Has city access but country charm

I usually stay in the Dunwoody/ Area and when I move that's where I will be pretty much looking to live

Things that I'm uncertain about:

The job market I hear is unbelieveably tough ( However in Chgo its played by politics)

---I have a background in Restaurant Management so finding that same job wont be that hard, Right?

High Crime Areas

Best Schools Private/Public

I realize that I'm leaving a beautiful downtown for a mediocre one, so tell me something that puts ATL up one over the Chi!

Thanks for all responses
If you're looking to relocate to a city where you can find a job and earn a living, either have 12 months worth of savings and be willing to take a job you are over-qaulified for, or strike Atlanta from your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 AM
 
101 posts, read 274,711 times
Reputation: 38
Atlanta is a cool place. It's a beautiful city but the jobs are tough to come across. If you don't have a job lined up or at least a year savings to live off of then DO NOT move. The job market is tough and like mentioned they require more education and low pay. Atlanta can be great to stay but if you don't have anything lined up then don't come. You can have lots of experience and education but you could still end up waiting a while just to get a job. The Atlanta market isn't good right now but I'm sure it will pick up, I just don't know when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,815 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for all of the replies! I agree with most of you. I know that the job market is competitve and living out of town makes it kind of hard to get a job there. So before I used a local address and phone number and I got a few more interviews than trying my Chicago address. And Cittic10, you are misinformed about the COL. A 1 bedroom 700 sq ft. apartment in the suburbs of Chicago will easily run you $800. Gas prices and taxes are among the highest. I've seen bigger places in pretty good areas (with the exception of the Dunwoody area) for that amount in ATL. So please keep the advice coming. Also my BF works for the railroad, so we are expecting that his job will transfer him, and that will be one burden lifted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,114,209 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairytaleLyfe View Post
And Cittic10, you are misinformed about the COL. A 1 bedroom 700 sq ft. apartment in the suburbs of Chicago will easily run you $800.
What do you think the rent is going to be here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,491,985 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
We have a better baseball team
You may not want to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,491,985 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
You've been grossly misinformed.....
Like how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top