U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,073,877 times

Advertisements

We went a few months ago on a Friday night and enjoyed sitting outside, listening to the live music and eating. On that night it was filled with just about all the tables taken. I thought it was a nice setting but agree that July and August probably won't be their best months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM

906 posts, read 1,441,206 times
There's actually a lot more shade there than people realize. On the lowest tier, there's a huge grassy area surrounded by trees, with a playground on one side and bocce ball courts on the other side. Great picnic area, with some shady spots all along the edges.

And the long wooden tables on the upper tier have umbrellas. It's still going to be painful in July and August, IMO, but it's no different there than it is in the rest of Atlanta.

I also disagree with the claim that there's no "neighborhood" there. A ton of people live within a few blocks near the intersection of Collier and Howell Mill. And there are lots of businesses all along those streets.

Would it be great if there were a MARTA stop nearby? Of course. But that's true for so many parts of this city.

As for parking, there are lots of spots around that grassy area I mentioned. But before you get there, there are two lots behind Willy's. The gravel lot can be used at any time, and the lot right behind Willy's can be used after 6PM on weekdays and all day weekends. I've been there 4-5 times now, and I've never had trouble finding a spot.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM
JPD

11,868 posts, read 14,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
Yeah, we kind of thought the same thing, but I think the purpose is so people can get acquainted with the food trucks. They are usually at street locations throughout the city on other days.
This is what they should be doing, but it's illegal in Atlanta for them to set up on the street. They have to be on private property. Hence, the food truck park. Hopefully the park will demonstrate the popularity of food trucks and will lead to a loosening of the rules that govern food trucks and street food.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,587,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
I find it ironic, but typical of Atlanta, that one must drive to get to the food truck park. It is not near a neighborhood, a MARTA stop, a bike path, or any concentration of people. The concept of a food truck, something that is mobile, is that it should come to you - not the other way around - right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was going to say something similar. I'm glad these trucks can make a profit and employ some people, but the concept of a food truck park is sort of baffling to me.

I live in Cabbagetown and we have a food truck or two every Thursday night. Sometimes there's a food truck set up in Reynoldstown, too. I can easily walk to those, but I would never get in my car and drive to get a meal from a food truck. I'm curious to see the park and the setup, though.
Quote:
This is what they should be doing, but it's illegal in Atlanta for them to set up on the street. They have to be on private property. Hence, the food truck park. Hopefully the park will demonstrate the popularity of food trucks and will lead to a loosening of the rules that govern food trucks and street food.
Yep, I think those regulations preventing food vendors from setting up on the street or sidewalk have got to go if Atlanta is gonna join the big leagues with this thang. Go to a lot of other cities and you have halal and hot dog carts set up in busy spots. I've seen a couple in Atlanta but nowhere near some of the most logical spots like Piedmont Park, Va-Hi, EAV and Little Five. People should be Ignatius Reillying all over those places both day and night but I have a feeling the restaurant folks are doing the best they can to prevent it. If I'm out partying or just hanging out in the park and I'm given the option of snagging a $2 hot dog vs. something more expensive and time consuming I'm probably gonna go for it considering most of the other options in those places tend to be sit-down joints. It's all about quick and convenient a lot of times and there's nothing more quick or convenient than street meat done right. The problem is the scenario is reversed. It's supposed to come to you rather than you go to it. That's why the damn things have wheels.

Another thing that gets me about the Atlanta food truck situation is how "upscale" and fancy they try to be. I guess that gives them an excuse to charge so much. Honestly, DC is the same way in this respect. Point me to the guy in the pull behind cart who calls me "boss" and whips up a mean gyro. You can keep your Korean tacos or whatever the hell hipster foodies are raving about.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,110,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Another thing that gets me about the Atlanta food truck situation is how "upscale" and fancy they try to be. I guess that gives them an excuse to charge so much. Honestly, DC is the same way in this respect. Point me to the guy in the pull behind cart who calls me "boss" and whips up a mean gyro. You can keep your Korean tacos or whatever the hell hipster foodies are raving about.
Extremely valid point. I can't recall the name of the truck thats coming to our office this week (we get an email early in the week with the details), but I saw their menu, and it's ridiculous. They've got a couple of "gourmet" burgers and sandwiches, and they're all $8-10 with no sides. Sorry, but I'm not dropping $15 for a burger/sandwich, a side and a can of soda- especially if I've got to stand in line to get it and then walk back to my office to eat it- even if it is "organic, corn-fed, free range beef with an ancho chile mayo and a blend of Indo-Chinese spices on a gluten-free wheat bun"........

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM

7,876 posts, read 12,894,907 times
Quote:
I find it ironic, but typical of Atlanta, that one must drive to get to the food truck park. It is not near a neighborhood, a MARTA stop, a bike path, or any concentration of people. The concept of a food truck, something that is mobile, is that it should come to you - not the other way around - right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Exactly. On top of being a royal PITA to get in and out of (as is everything along that stretch of Howell Mill) who wants to sit in a stoned lot with no shade, with all that traffic only a few feet away- especially this time of year? They've started bringing a few of the trucks to the motor court at our building downtown (one a day a few days per week), and I've eaten at most of them. It's convenient, and easy to go back to the office to eat- but I wouldn't drive to get to them, and certainly wouldn't sit out there and eat.
Y'all come on out to Austin where it was 109 degrees today!!! Food trucks/parks abound! Think about the energy savings if you can cook food just by holding it out the window!

Food Trucks-park?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,552,290 times
Smyrna is starting Food Truck Tuesday's at Taylor Brawner Park. There are lots of homes within walking distance and of course the childrens play area. They are encouraging people to walk where possible. Hope it is a success, sounds like it has potential!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
JPD

11,868 posts, read 14,471,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Extremely valid point. I can't recall the name of the truck thats coming to our office this week (we get an email early in the week with the details), but I saw their menu, and it's ridiculous. They've got a couple of "gourmet" burgers and sandwiches, and they're all $8-10 with no sides. Sorry, but I'm not dropping $15 for a burger/sandwich, a side and a can of soda- especially if I've got to stand in line to get it and then walk back to my office to eat it- even if it is "organic, corn-fed, free range beef with an ancho chile mayo and a blend of Indo-Chinese spices on a gluten-free wheat bun"........
Totally agree. Most of the time, the prices are ridiculous. $5 for french fries?

You know, food trucks would be a huge step up for all the festivals around town, but somehow the disgusting and overpriced corn dog and gyro vendors are the only ones who ever get the permits for festivals.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,733,220 times
Quote:
I agree that this should have been put in a more central location. I suppose though the cost of finding a space in Downtown or Midtown big enough to accommodate all of the food trucks was too high, and of course the current laws limiting street food in the city prohibit them from setting up on a street somewhere.

But is in correct that you MUST drive to the food truck park. The #12 Howell Mill passes directly in front of the food truck park and can be boarded at Midtown Station.

Oh, yeah, buses, that's for poor people...

Quote:
Yup, that was the exact point of setting up the park. It has already paid off in that a lot of the regulations that existed prior to the food truck explosion have already been taken down. There is still a long way to go though.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,110,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
But is in correct that you MUST drive to the food truck park. The #12 Howell Mill passes directly in front of the food truck park and can be boarded at Midtown Station.

Oh, yeah, buses, that's for poor people...
Not a matter of being "for poor people"- it's a matter of being "not convenient".

So, if you happen to work within walking distance of the Midtown Station, you can walk over there, wait for a bus, spend 20 minutes on the bus to get dropped at Collier and Howell Mill, walk up to the food truck area, stand in line to get your food, eat, walk back to Collier, wait for the bus (which only runs every 30 minutes- hope you didn't miss one by only a few minutes.....), take another 20 minute ride back to Midtown, and then walk back to the office.

Sounds like a real winner, provided you've got about a 2-hour lunch break........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or