U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM

69 posts, read 359,930 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am sick of paying over $100 a month for my full plan with Verizion. I was paying around the same with AT&T too.. is there any other Wireless carriers that get a reliable signal out in Alpharetta and further North i could look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 16,169,494 times
Sprint

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM

2,677 posts, read 5,078,079 times
Virgin Mobile will give you unlimited everything for $55/month. Also check out some of the other non contract carriers, they seem to have the pricing you are looking for.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

69 posts, read 359,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Sprint
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Virgin Mobile will give you unlimited everything for $55/month. Also check out some of the other non contract carriers, they seem to have the pricing you are looking for.
But hows the coverage?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM

7,707 posts, read 9,556,156 times
I recently changed my T-Mobile account to no contract month to month. They have tiers of service depending on what you need. Most of it is unlimited talk and text, just data is what you buy. I pay $60 a month for unlimited talk and text and 2 gigs of data.

The biggest problem is T-Mobile generally doesn't have the coolest phones. Service is reliable in North Fulton and along all major highways in rural areas. The only places I have lost signal is up in the North Georgia mountains where the service is not good, and in certain fortified concrete structures, underground on MARTA, etc.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM

2,677 posts, read 5,078,079 times
Most non contract providers use the main networks..I think in the case of Virgin Mobile they are on the sprint network, I believe the same for Boost Mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtaddshp View Post
But hows the coverage?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,941,805 times
Look around to see if you can get a corporate discount (if you work for a big company). Sprint has a nice one on family plan. I have 5 Android phones w/ unlimited data/text/M2M and 1500 anytime shared (avg only 400-500 across all lines). After discount and including phone insurance, I pay about $54/line including fees/taxes.

I also carry a Verizon Android phone for work and while it gets a bit more signal in some places, the Sprint phone works still works well around Atlanta (better than TMO). The spotty parts are deep inside buildings and above the 10th floor in my condo but I think it's b/c cell towers are aimed down(Verizon blows there too). My work iPad3 is on AT&T and it rarely shows more 2-3 bars in similar places but when it gets on 4G, I've seen 40Mb/s down which is crazy. It may be an outlier though since I'm inside an AT&T office right now.

Also, download carrier compare if you're on iPhone. The Android version doesn't seem to be out yet but it should give you signal/speed reports nearby.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,566,869 times
i use t-mobile. i've been with them ever since they were powertel. the customer service is excellent and i hear they have some pretty cheap data plans.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 16,169,494 times
Only Places I've lost and/or had low single on sprint is up the Georgia mountains, as you wind around you go in/out of coverage. But that happened when I had Verz & ATT also.

With in the greater OTP area I'm allways 3 bars Min mostly in the 4/5 bar area, Deep inside the bunker that is my office building, and underground on MARTA, I drop to 1 bar.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,606,186 times
Straight Talk is a prepaid service you can get via a Walmart store. Many of their non-smart phones use AT&T as the carrier. A small handful use Verizon, but you get your service through Straight Talk. Their plans range from a $30.00 per month plan for non-smart phones that gives you 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and a small amount of data. Also a $45.00 "unlimited" talk/text plan that in theory is unlimited data too (but really at around 2 gigs they get nervous on you). There is also a new $60 per month unlimited international calling plan as well.

All but one of their current smart phones (all Android) use Sprint's proprietary towers (they cannot "roam"), so your coverage area is very limited, the same as it is on Virgin Mobile/Boost, so unless you stick to city and Interstate highway areas, I don't particularly care for these. But they do have one new Android model (Samsung Proclaim - $189.00) that uses Verizon towers, which seems like a better deal - it only appears on their site off and on though, due to the popularity of it; it's currently sold out and on backorder so doesn't even show up on their site at the moment. A second Verizon-towered Android phone is rumored to about to be added to their lineup (LG Enlighten), but it's not on their site yet. All of their smart phones require the $45.00 or higher plans.

The advantages of this type of service is that you can still use AT&T or Verizon service areas depending on the phone you choose, but pay literally half or less than what you'd pay if you went through the major carriers directly. The disadvantage is that you won't have physical stores you can walk into for help, and if you call customer service you will be speaking to an overseas call center. You also have a smaller selection of phones to deal with, and some of them are somewhat outdated if you like the latest and greatest. Still - you can save $$$ if you don't mind the disadvantages.

One other alternative is Consumer Cellular. They are a U.S. based company and I believe all of their phones use AT&T towers. Your customer service is handled by a U.S. call center as well. Their choice of handsets however is extremely sparse (literally only a few phones) and they do not have any unlimited plans, though you'll still save money over a major carrier's direct plans. This might be your choice if you want decent coverage and better than average customer service, but don't care much about the phones themselves.

These are only a couple of choices, and as a side note, neither of them have 4G service yet (3G at best on the smart phone models). There are other alternatives, but they typically limit you to the primary Sprint tower system, or, extremely outdated "dumb" phones, etc. I will mention one last alternative though - and unfortunately it too is at Walmart... T-mobile has a couple of Android smart phones there and one of the packages they offer is a $30.00 per month plan that includes unlimited texting and data, but only 100 minutes of voice/talk. They do have one 4G Android phone under this plan as well. Yet one more thing to add to the confusing list of choices. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or