U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
KWD KWD started this thread
 
4 posts, read 9,902 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Can anyone provide any information on Historic Conley Hills in East Point? My partner and I are looking to move outside of Cobb County. We've driven around and found a few streets that are well maintained and VERY diverse. We love the proximity to downtown and the airport and I always love towns with a "main street." The area has a small town feel, yet close to the city. We love the charm of the homes and the nice lots. Is crime an issue in Conley Hills? We are not too concerned with property values. We just want a nice brick home on a quiet street so we can settle down. Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,961 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWD View Post
Can anyone provide any information on Historic Conley Hills in East Point? My partner and I are looking to move outside of Cobb County. We've driven around and found a few streets that are well maintained and VERY diverse. We love the proximity to downtown and the airport and I always love towns with a "main street." The area has a small town feel, yet close to the city. We love the charm of the homes and the nice lots. Is crime an issue in Conley Hills? We are not too concerned with property values. We just want a nice brick home on a quiet street so we can settle down. Thanks for the input!
my dad grew up across headland on west forrest avenue. i think they used to call conley hills "frog hollow" because there used to be a pond between stanton and cheney streets. in the 80s, the area got to be where there was a lot of crime and had people "cruising" though the neighbourhoods, and my grandparents moved out. since, however, me and my dad have been back together both night and day and never felt unsafe. it's quiet, there are kids playing in the streets, but of course we don't live there. the high school is tri-cities high school which replaced the old russell high school (which was a historic building, wish they hadn't torn it down!). tri-cities high school has an excellent dramatic arts program that has gone on to win awards for their performances.

i would recommend asking more people on here and probably contacting the local neighbourhood associations, or talking to people that live there.

but overall i think i'd go for it if you find a house you like. the neighbourhood gets better everytime i'm down there, and property values are going up as people move in and restore the homes.

if you're in to home restoration, maybe you could even restore my dad's childhood home at 1920 west forrest avenue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
KWD KWD started this thread
 
4 posts, read 9,902 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for your response! We've definitely been doing a ton of research. We drive to the area a couple of times each week to get a feel for it. We eat at the local restaurants (Thumbs Up, Brake Pad which is in College Park, Corner Tavern, American Burger etc.). We also found a little gem in a spot called El Rocio. It's somewhat of a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant that serves margaritas with real limes and not a mix;-)
We've been to the local hardware store and met the very friendly staff. The place gets pretty good business.
In terms of schools, we don't have any children and most likely will not. However, I have heard good things about Tri-Cities Performing Arts program. I also heard that there is a good charter school in the area as well.
We will keep our eyes open for the perfect property. We actually have two streets in mind where we would like to purchase. Hopefully, something will come up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
my dad grew up across headland on west forrest avenue. i think they used to call conley hills "frog hollow" because there used to be a pond between stanton and cheney streets. in the 80s, the area got to be where there was a lot of crime and had people "cruising" though the neighbourhoods, and my grandparents moved out. since, however, me and my dad have been back together both night and day and never felt unsafe. it's quiet, there are kids playing in the streets, but of course we don't live there. the high school is tri-cities high school which replaced the old russell high school (which was a historic building, wish they hadn't torn it down!). tri-cities high school has an excellent dramatic arts program that has gone on to win awards for their performances.

i would recommend asking more people on here and probably contacting the local neighbourhood associations, or talking to people that live there.

but overall i think i'd go for it if you find a house you like. the neighbourhood gets better everytime i'm down there, and property values are going up as people move in and restore the homes.

if you're in to home restoration, maybe you could even restore my dad's childhood home at 1920 west forrest avenue!
Nah, your Dad's neighborhood (where I incidentally grew up too) is still Frog Hollow. The neighborhood is bounded by Norman Berry/Headland Drive, Church street, Semmes Street, Washington Road and is directly adjacent to Downtown East Point. Conley Hills is roughly due west of Frog Hollow and is bounded by Semmes Street, Washington Road, Delowe Drive, and Headland.

That's crazy though. PM your family's last name. I bet we know a lot of the same people.

OP

Either neighborhood is great, but it sounds like Frog Hollow is more your cup of tea. The ammenities of the neighborhood can't be beat, the housing stock (which is chock full of late 19th and early 20th century) is unbeatable for the price, and best of all you are just a short walk away from a MARTA station or a short traffic free drive in to the City.

Here's the neighborhood webpage: http://froghollowneighborhood.org/

And a great Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51982096@N04/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,064 times
Reputation: 10
We (me and partner) just moved to Conley Hills and we love the area! It does have a small town feel and we feel quite comfortable especially with all of the rainbow flags I’ve seen hanging from homes in the area as well as in Semmes Park and Frog Hollow. Kimmeridge and Montrose are probably my favorite streets in Conley Hills...there are lots of nice, well maintained brick homes on both streets and lots of diversity. We love El Rocio – I think of it as our local Nuevo Laredo! I've heard good things about the Farm Mobile…Has anyone checked it out? And it seems like the July 4 celebration in downtown East Point is a pretty big deal - quite a few streets will be shutdown to accommodate the event. We were thinking about attending. Anyone been in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
KWD KWD started this thread
 
4 posts, read 9,902 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the replies. I've driven through Frog Hollow and liked what I've seen as well. The banners are adorable and there seem to be a real sense of community there. I will definitely check out the links.
I saw the billboard for the 4th of July Celebration on 75 N. Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend. I've seen the farm mobile advertised on East Point's Farmer's Market Facebook page but I haven't had the opportunity to check it out. However, I have been to the Velodrome and had a BLAST. I love the major events that are held there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
 
28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Reputation: 9523
One of our kids lived on the other side of the tracks in Jefferson Park and loved it. Nice having all that shopping at Camp Creek Marketplace these days, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM
 
12,906 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nah, your Dad's neighborhood (where I incidentally grew up too) is still Frog Hollow. The neighborhood is bounded by Norman Berry/Headland Drive, Church street, Semmes Street, Washington Road and is directly adjacent to Downtown East Point. Conley Hills is roughly due west of Frog Hollow and is bounded by Semmes Street, Washington Road, Delowe Drive, and Headland.

That's crazy though. PM your family's last name. I bet we know a lot of the same people.

OP

Either neighborhood is great, but it sounds like Frog Hollow is more your cup of tea. The ammenities of the neighborhood can't be beat, the housing stock (which is chock full of late 19th and early 20th century) is unbeatable for the price, and best of all you are just a short walk away from a MARTA station or a short traffic free drive in to the City.

Here's the neighborhood webpage: http://froghollowneighborhood.org/

And a great Flickr set: Flickr: FHNA's Photostream

Love this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,961 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Nah, your Dad's neighborhood (where I incidentally grew up too) is still Frog Hollow. The neighborhood is bounded by Norman Berry/Headland Drive, Church street, Semmes Street, Washington Road and is directly adjacent to Downtown East Point. Conley Hills is roughly due west of Frog Hollow and is bounded by Semmes Street, Washington Road, Delowe Drive, and Headland.

That's crazy though. PM your family's last name. I bet we know a lot of the same people.

OP

Either neighborhood is great, but it sounds like Frog Hollow is more your cup of tea. The ammenities of the neighborhood can't be beat, the housing stock (which is chock full of late 19th and early 20th century) is unbeatable for the price, and best of all you are just a short walk away from a MARTA station or a short traffic free drive in to the City.

Here's the neighborhood webpage: http://froghollowneighborhood.org/

And a great Flickr set: Flickr: FHNA's Photostream
no need for a PM, my last name's bryantó that's my username. he lived on the part of west forrest avenue that is actually on the north side of headland, i hear that's called semmes park now. he grew up there during the 60s. send me a PM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
no need for a PM, my last name's bryantó that's my username. he lived on the part of west forrest avenue that is actually on the north side of headland, i hear that's called semmes park now. he grew up there during the 60s. send me a PM!
OOOh, I had no idea West Forrest continued on the other side of Norman Berry. That neighborhood was kind of a no man's land for us as kids since we didn't known anyone who lived over there and we weren't allowed to cross over Norman Berry. I do know though that Ms. Johnson probably owns a bunch of houses over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top