U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Hmm. I'm able to walk in, find what I want within a matter of minutes. Meanwhile, you're lost and confused. And I'M the one who's high? Gotcha.
The AFCL central branch circulation desk area is an embarrassment. The return desk as you walk in is not always manned and if you wait long enough, eventually some staff member will walk over. I don't feel comfortable just placing my books on the desk and walking away. The turnstiles are old and worn and the exit gates are almost falling down as the metal bar sort of droops as you push it aside to exit. They couldn't even desensitize the books so they have to pass your material to you after you pass the gate. They don't have a decent desk to check out material and there are two types of desks stuck together. It's not at all clear where you go to check out. And there isn't a self-checkout station but then again, since they don't desensitize books, that wouldn't work. It's just poorly laid out with poor organization, poor labeling, and poor staffing. They don't even have enough computers to use the OPAC. And the rest of the floors and reference areas are not much better. Carpets are worn out, furniture dirty, and the whole place looks dreary.

Quote:
I've never been inside the bathroom at the downtown library. I generally avoid bathrooms in all old/public buildings. GSU's men's rooms (particularly the 4th floor of library north) is a notorious hot spot for molestation and peeping toms, so it's probably far worse than the public library. Believe me. I used to work there.
Not that I keep track of restroom conditions, but GSU's are considerably better. If I recall, it's been awhile since you worked at GSU. They have much tighter security and the whole library has been renovated from top to bottom. I was a volunteer GED tutor at the AFCL and I had my students meet with me at the GSU library. The GSU library is a far far better environment. And it has a very nice coffee shop to boot. The GSU library is probably nothing like you knew it. The AFCL central branch would do well to be just half as good as GSU's library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what they oughta do is restore and reopen the carnegie library over there down the street from you. beautiful old building in horrid condition.
Which one is that? I only know of the old Carnegie downtown library which was demolished in 1977 to make way for the present central branch. And the one built at Georgia Tech which is now the president's office.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
I was really surprised to learn recently that the Live Oak Library system that serves the Savannah region has 14 locations -- FOURTEEN! -- in Chatham County alone, with a population of just under 300,000 or one branch for about every 20,000 residents. Granted, some of these are quite small and serve very specific niche neighborhoods (inner city) but quite a few are large, modern and provide a full array of services. At least two new ones are planned or under construction. We even have an original 1914 Carnegie Library still in operation! Of course, budget cuts mean many of these branches are never open all at the same time, but still -- they are very convenient to where people live and the staff on duty are always EXCELLENT and PROFESSIONAL!

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-30-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Quote:
Apparently my sarcasm did not come through.
Thank goodness! Boy, is my face red for not realizing.

Another interesting question....what do you think is more valuable, having lots of branches all over the city, or having a major flagship location with tons of resources?

I like having a branch very close to my home. However, I don't really care how good its resources are because I generally look online to see what they have and if it isn't available, I don't mind waiting a couple of days for it to get transferred from another location.

The internet has really made using the library a lot easier. I just tell them what I want, reserve it, then go pick it up at the hold table. No card catalogs, no searching through shelves...it really is amazing.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Which one is that? I only know of the old Carnegie downtown library which was demolished in 1977 to make way for the present central branch. And the one built at Georgia Tech which is now the president's office.
there's one over in english avenue— no one knows about it because it's gotten so damned rough over there. it's at the corner of english avenue and bankhead highway (donald hollowell):

Google Maps

right next to it is the historic english avenue elementary school. it closed in the 90s because of the deterioration of the surrounding area:

Google Maps

Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The AFCL central branch circulation desk area is an embarrassment. The return desk as you walk in is not always manned and if you wait long enough, eventually some staff member will walk over. 1I don't feel comfortable just placing my books on the desk and walking away. 2The turnstiles are old and worn and the exit gates are almost falling down as the metal bar sort of droops as you push it aside to exit. 3They couldn't even desensitize the books so they have to pass your material to you after you pass the gate. They don't have a decent desk to check out material and there are two types of desks stuck together. 4It's not at all clear where you go to check out. And there isn't a self-checkout station but then again, since they don't desensitize books, that wouldn't work.

Not that I keep track of restroom conditions, but GSU's are considerably better. If I recall, it's been awhile since you worked at GSU. They have much tighter security and 5the whole library has been renovated from top to bottom. I was a volunteer GED tutor at the AFCL and I had my students meet with me at the GSU library.
I agree that the downtown library is dated and could use some updating. Now, let's examine the falsehoods and/or whining in your post.

1. You don't leave your books on the table, you put them in the hole and they go into a box where they are safe. OR, you can use the secure book depository outside.
3. Wrong. They desensitize them and hand them to you before you go through the gate.
4. Not only is there a sign that is easy to see, you have to walk right past the checkout desk to enter the library. I really don't know how anyone could miss it.
5. Not true. Some parts of the GSU library are no different today than they were when I worked there in the '90s.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM

36 posts, read 87,031 times
I go to the Peachtree Corners library branch off of Spalding Dr.
Its usually pretty busy in there when I go in about 1-2 times a month to pick up random materials.

The library is still very important to me, it allows for the democratization of information to be spread, and allows those of lower class to access the internet and to be able to read materials they otherwise could not afford. They are trying to evolve by providing ever more services such as basic classes on how to use a computer, various office programs, and other various programs.

Time ran an article on its website recently about this too: Why Libraries Are a Smart Investment for the Country's Future - TIME

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what they oughta do is restore and reopen the carnegie library over there down the street from you. beautiful old building in horrid condition.
Yes, that is a beautiful building and it saddens me that it used to be a library. We don't have a library, school, park, or anything basically in the neighborhood and that is basically unheard of where I'm from. Pretty much every neighborhood has a library and park within walking distance.

Like you said, education is a great equalizer. I see myself as an independent but like you, I believe that education should be of equal quality for all Americans. I see it as what I call "The Great Equalizer." I feel in general that people in Atlanta don't view libraries as houses of knowledge like how I grew up with. A library was a magical place, even for a little nappy headed black girl in the hood. We had librarians who really took an interest in us, go us involved in many classes and activities and had reading contest all year for prizes, not just in the summer. I am someone who loves libraries but I don't see them valued the way my hometown community valued them and it is sad to me that here in Atlanta, a huge, much more prosperous city in comparison, has such a poor library system across the city.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,958,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree that the downtown library is dated and could use some updating. Now, let's examine the falsehoods and/or whining in your post.

1. You don't leave your books on the table, you put them in the hole and they go into a box where they are safe. OR, you can use the secure book depository outside.
3. Wrong. They desensitize them and hand them to you before you go through the gate.
4. Not only is there a sign that is easy to see, you have to walk right past the checkout desk to enter the library. I really don't know how anyone could miss it.
5. Not true. Some parts of the GSU library are no different today than they were when I worked there in the '90s.
I think the Downtown library was updated about a decade ago and looks way better on the inside than it did some years ago. Most of the floors had very nasty brown carpet from what I recall in the early 1990s or so. They since removed most of that and put in some nice flooring, I think it has some other renovations as well. It might need some more updating now, come to think of it.

I do agree the staff is there is generally not friendly and for a first time visitor, the set up is a bit confusing. I think it is good they hold a lot of classes there for people to learn about looking for a job or something similar. They are open until late hours as well.

I haven't been to GSU's library in over a decade, hopefully it does look a lot better. It had a very dated 70s appearance way back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta