U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM

7,729 posts, read 9,601,887 times

Advertisements

I just read this article and it made me curious Gwinnett Daily Post | Library board adopts three-year strategic plan

How do you view your local library?

When I lived in Buckhead, I used the Buckhead branch of the Fulton county library quite often to check out books. I always noticed, though, that Fulton county never had a good flagship location. Most cities I previously lived in had a major library, usually downtown, that was a flagship location that had the most resources and you could always find students and other people doing research. Atlanta lacks that, the downtown Fulton county branch is laughable.

Anyway, the question is, do you value your local library?

Personally, I do. I go through various stages in life in terms of whether I actively use my local library or not, but regardless of whether I am actively using it, I strongly support the library as a place of learning and value. I feel like having a strong library system says that you live in a community that values knowledge and increases the value of the area.

I can certainly understand the argument that the internet and other resources have made libraries less valuable and maybe even obsolete. But I think there is still a place for libraries and I think they are worth supporting. I want my tax dollars keeping my local library in business.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,516,796 times
Not a week goes by where we don't go to the local library. We use it mainly to get books for our toddler. This way, she gets new stories every night before bed time. This can simply not be replaced by online resources at this time. Even though we do have a tablet, we all clearly prefer physical book.

We also go to local activities they offer for kids. Our daughter loves it.

My wife gets a book about once or twice a month.

As a researcher, having access to a library is essential to me - although I tend to frequent university libraries rather than public ones simply because they have the pertinent magazines that are generally out of place in a general library. Although I do order articles online, it's generally faster to just go and get the articles you need yourself.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 PM

28,234 posts, read 24,830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I always noticed, though, that Fulton county never had a good flagship location. Most cities I previously lived in had a major library, usually downtown, that was a flagship location that had the most resources and you could always find students and other people doing research. Atlanta lacks that, the downtown Fulton county branch is laughable.
I don't think the downtown library is all that bad. That "brutalist" architecture has always looked like a bridge abutment to me, but the content is quite interesting.

I also like the Auburn Avenue, East Atlanta and Buckhead libraries. The branch in Mechanicsville is very nice too.

In my opinion libraries are extremely important. They are far more than just books, of course, and are sort of community repositories of knowledge.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM

12,947 posts, read 19,914,530 times
We've lived in Milton for almost 7 years. The one thing I've missed the most about our old city was the library. I am thrilled to see we should have one opened in town by 2013.

My mother was a librarian, and my first job was shelving books at our local branch. I am a voracious reader, and look forward to the day I can again borrow instead of buy. I was in a Barnes and Noble in NC this week, and they have really cut down on titles. The shelves were full of games and puzzles, but current books I was searching for were not available.

I will definitely support a local library.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,969,396 times
Overall, I don't think I do value the local library. I should go more often. I go to the local public library about once a month or less often, which is very infrequent in my opinion. I try to go to their book sales where they do fundraising.

Rather than closing down libraries, I think they should be around for a lot longer and perhaps change their purpose as some people always need them (useful resources like free Internet access). I see them in some ways becoming obsolete like brick-and-mortar bookstores, even if I am impartial to them.

I grew up going quite often to the library, however, this was before the Internet was in widespread use at many home.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,148,690 times
Robb Pitts wants a new central library.

Library dreams from Robb Pitts | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

A bond referendum passed to provide the money but it'll need more outside support.

I wouldn't waste the money on a renovation but rather build a new one near Centennial Park. The present location is just sad. I'd rather they build a nice new one with surrounding greenspace and even incorporate the Auburn Avenue branch. The Auburn Avenue library looks sad too.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,129,683 times
Decatur library is THE BEST.

It has convenient parking, it is in walking distance to some pretty good restaurants and bars, and is MARTA accessible. You can't beat that.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,148,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Decatur library is THE BEST.

It has convenient parking, it is in walking distance to some pretty good restaurants and bars, and is MARTA accessible. You can't beat that.
Ok...what about the library itself? You value what you can do away from it.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM

7,729 posts, read 9,601,887 times
I've never heard of a library being of value before because of its proximity to restaurants and bars.

I've never been to a library that didn't have convenient parking.

Many are near MARTA. That post is just odd.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,538,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think the downtown library is all that bad. That "brutalist" architecture has always looked like a bridge abutment to me, but the content is quite interesting.
This is spot on. I go there all the time. I'm not a huge fan of the architecture, but the layout on the inside works well, and they are well stocked with materials. I've been pretty impressed with the first floor gallery space. The library definitely does get used by students and others doing research, contrary to what was stated earlier. I see people doing this every time I go there.

All that said, I'd love to see a new library. Something to rival Seattle's library. And I'd like the current library to be turned into an art gallery or be taken over by GSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta