U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,542,800 times

Advertisements

"My kids are devastated right now and it's really hard to see the positives."

I think you need to do a better job as a parent at putting life into perspective for your children. Being devastated because a parent is relocating for work is an irrational behavior. Change will always happen and this should be used as an opportunity to teach that, making the transition to college, and then work that much more seamless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM

12,959 posts, read 19,947,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

I think you need to do a better job as a parent at putting life into perspective for your children. Being devastated because a parent is relocating for work is an irrational behavior. Change will always happen and this should be used as an opportunity to teach that, making the transition to college, and then work that much more seamless.
Really? I guess you don't remember your teen years. Most teens would feel exactly the same way at leaving their friends and school.

OP, we moved when our eldest was going into his junior year. A couple of things made it easier, including having his coaches and teachers write references for him that we included with his application. It was a bit easier to do, since he was going private to private, but if he's a strong athlete a letter of introduction might be a good idea. Moving in mid year kind of wipes out any chance of playing varsity sports though, since tryouts and conditioning workouts for basketball begin while football is still being played. There are recreational basketball teams in North Fulton through the towns.

We had two other boys entering new schools too. The middle boy had a seamless adjustment into 9th grade, he made friends the very first day. The youngest was entering 8th grade, and it took him longer to find a comfort level here. Since it was the final year of middle school, there weren't many "new kids".
But, he handled it.

Schools in North Fulton (we are in Milton), are very good. But, they are large. The good thing about the size is that there is somebody and something for everyone. The bad is that making sports teams can be tough, and the sheer size can be overwhelming. Private school could alleviate some of that if you could consider it for your eldest.

These days, a family has to do what a family has to do. Good luck. We're all glad we made the move, but it wasn't easy on the kids at the time.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 451 times
I moved to Georgia in 2010 from London, England. A big change for my daughter and I. My daughter went from a school with 500 kids to closer to 2000. Luckily for us she was starting as a Freshman and we moved early August so she started with all the other Freshman and has done fabulously. I think I was more scared than she was.

Like others have said, if you can get here before the start of school it will make things much, much easier on you all.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

Do you have children?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandd1 View Post
He works in North Atlanta. Somedays will be out of the Roswell office, I believe. This is all really sudden and new. We don't think we can make the move before school starts there in August so unfortunately, will probably have to come midyear for the kids. My son is involved in football and basketball. He's gotten shyer as he's gotten older but he usually makes friends pretty easily. My daughter plays volleyball. She's pretty quiet and is very uncomfortable in new situations. It's been a tough day as we told them today. They are both trying to think positive through their tears. I am so proud of them because I know it's tough. I am an elementary school teacher and would like to sub/work eventually but want to make the transition as smooth as possible for them. Thanks again!
Moving in the middle of the year can have advantages because more people will realize your children are new to the area.

What do you mean by North Atlanta? Because around here that could mean Buckhead to Perimeter to Alpharetta to Forsyth county.

I can recommend specific areas when I find out what North Atlanta means. You will find here terms people use to refer to an area can vary greatly.

Your price range is definitely doable.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 3,404 times
Thanks for positive replies. Husband is looking at the Milton and Alpharetta areas. I realize he won't be able to play basketball when we get there but hopefully he will participate in spring football activities. I love the idea of his current coach writing a letter.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,839,294 times
Milton High consistently has one of the top basketball programs in the country -- what kind of player is your son? Unless he is Div I recruitable, it is unlikely he can play for Milton High. That is why it is important, if it is important to you that he play basketball, that you do thorough research into the schools. Football may be a little easier -- though are you going to stay where you are now to let him play this fall?

It isn't just athletics that will be the challenge. Moving mid year means that your kids will simply get slotted into classes where there is space, so their chosen electives might not be available, etc.

I believe kids have to be flexible, but if you have academic minded kids, you need to make this move your priority and do your best to get here as quickly as possible.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-27-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or