U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,394 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a possible move for our family in January. We don't have enough time to get there before school starts in August and husband's relo won't be approved by then. Those of you who moved with teenagers, how hard was it to fit in at a new high school? My son will be a junior and my daughter will be a freshmen. My kids are devastated right now and it's really hard to see the positives. We've moved before but they were in elementary school.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM

7,711 posts, read 9,545,692 times
It depends on the kids.

We moved around a lot when I was a kid. My sister always blended in immediately and got popular at every school she attended.

I always took a lot longer and never got a huge circle of friends, instead having 1 or 2 close friends.

There are lots of intangibles involved, some people are just magnetic and attract others and get popular and others aren't. However, a lot of it also has to do with activities. My sister seemed to always find something to do. Even if she had never done it before, she just dove in and found something. One school she went to had a swim team, so she joined and had tons of swim friends. The next school didn't have that so she got into the drama department and was in all the school plays and had drama friends. The next school had swimming and water polo, so she did that and had water polo friends. The next school didn't have that, so she joined the choir and had artsy singing friends.

I've never been much of a joiner, so I didn't do these extracurricular activities and as a result had a much harder time with moving. I was also a lot shier and more self-conscious, whereas my sister is carefree and always knew she was cool without having a care in the world whether anyone else thought so or not.

I would encourage your kids to take on some kind of activity that they will be able to participate in at the new school. It doesn't really matter what it is, it could be sports, debate team, newspaper, drama, band, whatever. It won't change their core friend making abilities, but it will certainly ease the transition and give then an instant in with kids who have similar interests.

I'd say it will be harder on your daughter. The junior year is a core year for college, so you need to make sure that your son doesn't fall behind academically. However, by the time you are a junior, you are largely over all the popularity garbage. Plus, even if he completely hates the school, your son knows his time there is limited and all he has to do is survive a year and a half. He will also have a driver license, and that opens up the world and makes you feel less trapped in just the worlds of school and home.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandd1 View Post
We are looking at a possible move for our family in January. We don't have enough time to get there before school starts in August and husband's relo won't be approved by then. Those of you who moved with teenagers, how hard was it to fit in at a new high school? My son will be a junior and my daughter will be a freshmen. My kids are devastated right now and it's really hard to see the positives. We've moved before but they were in elementary school.
What part of town are you moving too? Where will your husband be working? Will you be working outside of the home? What is your budget? Do you want public or private schools?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
What part of town are you moving too? Where will your husband be working? Will you be working outside of the home? What is your budget? Do you want public or private schools?
We haven't been to look yet but my husband has been told to look in the Alpharetta and Milton area. Our budget is 320000-400000 but would like to stay around 350,000. Public schools are what we are looking at. Also do not want too large of a high school. Is this doable in that location. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,560,536 times
If you want less than 1500-2000 students in the high school, you're going to have difficulty in the North Fulton schools. They're all fairly large schools. You might need to consider moving north to Forsyth county or over to Buford City Schools.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,805,997 times
Quote:
We haven't been to look yet but my husband has been told to look in the Alpharetta and Milton area. Our budget is 320000-400000 but would like to stay around 350,000. Public schools are what we are looking at. Also do not want too large of a high school. Is this doable in that location. Thanks for the replies.
What part of Atlanta is the job located in?

What kinds of students are your children? What are their interests/hobbies etc?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM

He works in North Atlanta. Somedays will be out of the Roswell office, I believe. This is all really sudden and new. We don't think we can make the move before school starts there in August so unfortunately, will probably have to come midyear for the kids. My son is involved in football and basketball. He's gotten shyer as he's gotten older but he usually makes friends pretty easily. My daughter plays volleyball. She's pretty quiet and is very uncomfortable in new situations. It's been a tough day as we told them today. They are both trying to think positive through their tears. I am so proud of them because I know it's tough. I am an elementary school teacher and would like to sub/work eventually but want to make the transition as smooth as possible for them. Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM

38 posts, read 106,799 times
If there is any way you can move with your kids for the beginning of the school year, I would strongly recommend doing so. Other kids will be new on the first day of school, so your kids won't feel like they are the only ones. You should consider just renting so that you can be there for the start of the school year. Is your husband already working there. Are you open to going ahead of him, if he isn't already there?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM

7,711 posts, read 9,545,692 times
It is definitely much easier to move for the beginning of the year, academically speaking. If you can avoid it, you really don't want to do anything to jeopardize your son's junior year grades, and his new math and science classes could be doing totally different things than his former ones were. At the beginning of a year, everybody pretty much as a clean slate, but the second semester generally builds upon what was learned the first semester.

If you can't leave early and get them here by August, I would recommend letting your husband come ahead and staying behind and letting your kids finish the school year, even if it means you rent a crappy apartment for 6 months. Or maybe you can arrange for him to stay with friends or family to finish out the year.

Moving is tough. I remember when I moved prior to my freshman year of high school, my horrendous English teacher made me complete the summer reading the rest of the kids had all summer to do in the first 6 weeks of school. I still hate that woman so bad that I'm glad her husband discovered he was gay and left her. What a horrible woman, I'd turn gay too if the other choice was a life with her.

The thing is, by the time I was a junior, I had figured out how to navigate the school and knew what classes and teachers to take to get a massively strong GPA. This is key for college admissions. I can't stress enough not to mess with your son's junior year if you can at all possibly avoid it. You're talking about what colleges he will be able to get into which will determine what job he can get later....you're really talking about his entire future.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,805,997 times
Quote:
He works in North Atlanta. Somedays will be out of the Roswell office, I believe. This is all really sudden and new. We don't think we can make the move before school starts there in August so unfortunately, will probably have to come midyear for the kids. My son is involved in football and basketball. He's gotten shyer as he's gotten older but he usually makes friends pretty easily. My daughter plays volleyball. She's pretty quiet and is very uncomfortable in new situations. It's been a tough day as we told them today. They are both trying to think positive through their tears. I am so proud of them because I know it's tough. I am an elementary school teacher and would like to sub/work eventually but want to make the transition as smooth as possible for them. Thanks again!
If your son is actually playing football in school and you can't get here before August, he won't be playing here. Does he play for school or just recreationally?

I would move heaven and earth to either be here when the school year starts or possibly have my husband commute for this coming school year, but that means your son has to change schools for senior year, which really isn't easy.

As a teacher, I am sure you are aware that high school is different from elementary school. If you son is taking, say Spanish III and comes in November, there is no guarantee that the course will be at the same place at his current school. This will especially be true if your school system starts much later than the school you select.

Are your kids strong students? Competitive? Laid back, etc? This will help me, at least, give you a little more insight on high schools that might be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or