U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times

Advertisements

I was starting to worry a little about our hometown international news channel. What a great source of civic pride CNN has been for the last 32 years, in literally every corner of the globe.

However, despite the ratings it appears that CNN is still extremely profitable. According to Politico, the network is expected to make nearly $600 million in operating profit this year, which, like every year for the past 10 years, is a record high.

So come on, home team. Get your mojo back!

What?s wrong at CNN - Dylan Byers - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was starting to worry a little about our hometown international news channel. What a great source of civic pride CNN has been for the last 32 years, in literally every corner of the globe.

However, despite the ratings it appears that CNN is still extremely profitable. According to Politico, the network is expected to make nearly $600 million in operating profit this year, which, like every year for the past 10 years, is a record high.

So come on, home team. Get your mojo back!

What?s wrong at CNN - Dylan Byers - POLITICO.com
While CNN should be worried about the downward trajectory, they are actually much stronger than the random articles constantly comparing MSNBC, FOX, and CNN give them credit for.

CNN has multiple networks. CNN international, CNN's airport network, etc..

The issue is they can't pander aggressive one-sided programming like Fox and MSNBC can. This puts them in a weak spot for competing head-to-head. This is partly why HLN added some more extreme opinionated networking and got rid of the CNN brand and just called itself HLN. The important thing is they can't tarnish their brand with most people. (and yes I know there will always be some crazy people saying they are too liberal or conservative -- but those same people also complain about widespread conservative and liberal bias beyond a few networks)

Some of the major benefits CNN has is more respect worldwide. They also have more unique viewers... far fewer people watching CNN tune to it 6 hours of the day. (this is not uncommon with Fox and MSNBC!)

So if an advertiser pays for an advertisement that pops up all day long, they will still get their message to a larger group of viewers. It is also a group of viewers that doesn't have alot of free time to watch TV (more likely to not be retired; has a full time job... etc..)

Fox tends to attract alot of recent retirees that watch several hours a day, particularly in the afternoon into the evening. They have more viewers carried over from show to show. Still a valuable property doing well, but they need more viewers as theirs are often less valuable. Don't get me wrong... they still do exceptionally well.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,131,538 times
The New York Times and other newspapers are in greater danger.

Page One - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

I sort of wish Craig's List would go away so online newspapers could make some money from local ads.

But what also concerns me is that we are losing in depth understanding of the news in exchange for the brevity of CNN and others.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Box

382 posts, read 536,495 times
CNN needs to be more like Al-Jazeera.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The New York Times and other newspapers are in greater danger.
Maybe they ought to just go ahead and sell the New York Times to Carlos Slim and get it over with.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,280,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But what also concerns me is that we are losing in depth understanding of the news in exchange for the brevity of CNN and others.
This is what concerns me most.

The NYT will be fine... the issue is what they will have to do to stay strong and profitable. Something will have to be scaled back or change.

I'm increasingly looking towards news magazines for depth. The issue is they are only weekly (or biweekly or monthly).

I'm curious if they can ever be replicated on a local level. A political/economist state/local issue magazine sent out weekly/biweekly. Less frequency...high depth.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,530,540 times
I am glad that in most hangout places in Atlanta its CNN and not FoxNews that the default news channel..

Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I am glad that in most hangout places in Atlanta its CNN and not FoxNews that the default news channel..
Hmmm....I wonder why?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The NYT will be fine... the issue is what they will have to do to stay strong and profitable. Something will have to be scaled back or change.
I saw that documentary. The NYT has been hit hard. They even sold their own building for the money. I'm not as confident in predicting their future will be fine.

Quote:
I'm increasingly looking towards news magazines for depth. The issue is they are only weekly (or biweekly or monthly).
Even those have been hit. Time magazine and Newsweek are nothing like they use to be...much thinner too. People used to talk about what or who was on their covers. Not anymore. Even US News is viewed more as a College Ranking magazine than news.

Quote:
I'm curious if they can ever be replicated on a local level. A political/economist state/local issue magazine sent out weekly/biweekly. Less frequency...high depth.
The pace of the internet and those annoying commercials where people get their information on their phones faster than you can possibly tell them by word of mouth don't augur well.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,357,862 times
CNN just hasn't been the same since Uncle Ted left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta