U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Box Box started this thread

382 posts, read 535,727 times

Advertisements

Watch These American Cities Segregate, Even As They Diversify - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

I'm posting this because Atlanta is mentioned.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,114,063 times
I really don't know what people expect anymore- do they expect every neighborhood to be a perfectly balanced blend of all races? When I read a comment like the one at the end of the article that says "but bottom line: No, it is not time to pat ourselves on the back yet", even when they just finished showing that there is less segregation than in the past, it really makes me wonder how far they think it will ever go.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM

22,167 posts, read 16,168,399 times
People self-segregate. That's just how it is, every seen a high school lunch room?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM

7,700 posts, read 9,540,558 times
Very interesting article.

Of course we all know this, it's just not something people often talk about.

I found this particularly interesting, it is something I have noticed:

Quote:
It appears as if the once-prevalent all-white neighborhood has gone virtually extinct. But its all-black counterpart has not.
If white person came to me and said he wanted to live in an all white area, where should he go, I would say you can go to some areas that are majority white, but nowhere is really all white.

However, if a black person asked me the same question, I would sent him to Cascade or Lithonia, where he would find a pretty much all black area. Increasingly, you can pick tons of places in Clayton county for the same effect.

I'm sure the reasons are many and complicated. But I have definitely noticed it. Could it be that whites are becoming the least self-segregating race? That's a pretty major 180, isn't it!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Very interesting article.

Of course we all know this, it's just not something people often talk about.

I found this particularly interesting, it is something I have noticed:

If white person came to me and said he wanted to live in an all white area, where should he go, I would say you can go to some areas that are majority white, but nowhere is really all white.

However, if a black person asked me the same question, I would sent him to Cascade or Lithonia, where he would find a pretty much all black area. Increasingly, you can pick tons of places in Clayton county for the same effect.

I'm sure the reasons are many and complicated. But I have definitely noticed it. Could it be that whites are becoming the least self-segregating race? That's a pretty major 180, isn't it!
Clayton County up untill the late 1980's was at least 80% white.Blacks did not segregate in Clayton,white left in mass.I know because my parents moved to the area during that time until about 5years ago.I remember many of the whites there were heavily Republican.Many of my friends whose parents were white moved to places like Jackson,Griffin and Southern Henry County.At the time,those were "all white areas".
Lithonia was mostly white also up untill the late 80's also.
Some whites are just running out of places to go.Cascade or any other "black" area are just as black than Hickory Flat or Canton is white.
Clayton BTW is probably one of the most diverse counties in Georgia.Large groups of Vietnemese,Indian,black and Hispanic.
You must live in the city because your perspective is a little off.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,446,444 times
greatest ally of segregation is the culture of not working for a living.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
i have noticed this in the census maps put out last year. it's a big problem, and i think a lot of it has to do with the lack of services some neighbourhoods get while others get undue attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta