U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:10 PM

284 posts, read 456,313 times

Advertisements

-Santa Rosa Island (Gulf Breeze/Pensacola Beach), especially the western part which is mostly a park around Fort Pickens. I love driving the length of it then follow the highway all the way to Ft. Walton Beach/Destin. First time I've ever been on a FL beach and never saw another soul for hours, unless you count the dolphins/jellies/huge sanddollars. I was dreading visiting 'the redneck riviera' while travelling for work but was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the beaches were, and how the downtown area has a vibrant art/dining scene. Pensacola Beach is pretty "commercial" but Santa Rosa itself has plenty of room to get away from the bustle.

-Key West. The drive from Miami to Mile 0 is stunning, a bucket-list road trip that doesn't take long if you land in Fort Lauderdale/Miami and then head south. We stayed in a gorgeous little B&B which featured a rum bar true to its history. I love that you can be ankle-deep in the water and see plenty of exotic colorful creatures. Seeing the sunset dip below the water, leaving a crimson streak on the horizon beneath a black sky, is one of those magical things you just don't see on the east coast.

Miami metro is an amazing city that has a lot of different "scenes" from the high end Bal Harbour area to Calle Ocho to the nightlife of South Beach and the natural beauty of Key Biscayne/Coral Gables area.

I am going to Fernandina Beach for the 1st time soon-- I love GA's barrier islands and I look forward to checking out the old town and Ft. Clinch.

Central Florida is a sort of living hell for me, as is Cocoa/jacksonville/daytona.
i want to see Sanibel, St. Andrew's sound and its barrier islands, and the St. George area. I've never been to Panama City-- always leery of the "spring break scene"-- but I plan to head that way at some point as the parks around there & around Apalachicola sound so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 PM

20,945 posts, read 32,927,532 times
There are so many IMO. my favorites:

Key West
Naples (particularly Old Town)
Sanibel/Captiva/Boca Grande
Longboat Key
Lido Beach/St Armands Circle
South Beach
Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Palm Beach/Manalapan/Highland Beach
Jupiter Inlet Colony
Winter Park (Orlando)
Hyde Park (Tampa)
St Augustine
Atlantic Beach
Fernandina Beach
Riverside (Jacksonville)
Seaside, and really anywhere along A30
Cape San Blas

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM

349 posts, read 758,229 times
Mount Dora

Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,904,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Atlantans, Where is the most beautiful & memorable place you've vacationed at in Florida?
I've not been to Florida since we moved down to Atlanta from the Twin Cities in 2004, and I've only been there half-dozen times.

I think the best place I've been was the timeshare on Sanibel Island ... we were a lot more likely to go fishing in western Ontario when I was growing up than travel to some destination in the south.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

22,167 posts, read 16,168,399 times
1 road, A1A. Hugs the coast from Jacksonville to Key West.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 5,074,466 times
Cape San Blas. Yes, my favorite kind of beaches (not many in the states but they can be found), may not be for everyone but for uncrowded beaches in the states its a great choice and has made Dr. Beach's top 10 list in the past. The state park is awesome.

I say not for everyone because if your looking for highrises, lot of restaurants and activities this is not it, a different kind of vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's what I was going to post. There was nobody around when I was there. Just me, my wife and my dog. We probably saw less than ten other people while we were there.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,558,479 times
The Beaches of South Walton along Highway 30-A. You get the beautiful white sand without the crowds of Destin proper. Great restaurants and laid-back lifestyle.

I also really enjoyed Key West (stayed at the Duval House; fabulous!), but it's a totally different feel.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,809,103 times
Lived in the Fort Lauderdale metro for 3 years before moving to GA, and I am not a fan of the east coast of FL, as compared to the west coast.

We love Sanibel and Captiva, but have also checked out St Pete, Longboat Key, Naples and Clearwater areas. Key West was fun for a day, but not long term.

My husband still wants to return to FL to live. I can't see it, unless we get to the Sanibel area. We also really liked Amelia Island, but for a vacation, not a way of life.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,104,380 times
Navarre

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

28,138 posts, read 24,666,222 times
We used to have a place in Key West. Of course that is more "intown" as opposed to a beach vacation.

For the latter I second the comments about Cape San Blas. Ideal for doing absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta