U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 PM

738 posts, read 1,118,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
Hwy 140 West from Mansell to the Cherokee line
Ohhhh yeah. I used to drive that every day, and once it took me two hours. Aren't they widening 140 now though?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 PM

28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
Hwy 140 West from Mansell to the Cherokee line
That gets a vote from me, too.

Starting about 3:00 pm, GA400 southbound from Buckhead is often a parking lot.

North Druid Hills stinks.

Jimmy Carter Boulevard stinks.

Most of I-285 stinks.

I-575 makes me want to lay down and cry.

GA400 north of the Perimeter is a no go.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane078 View Post
Finally, Atlanta Rd in Smyrna going over 285. No designated turn lanes to get to the interstate. WHY.
There are roads all over the Atlanta metro that are missing turn lanes in surprising places. Maybe it's related to the relatively narrow right of way area along certain routes? It really disrupts traffic, though.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM

906 posts, read 1,441,902 times
Agree with others about Cobb Parkway. Even when there's not much traffic, there's just a ridiculous number of badly timed stoplights. It's also an *ugly* place to have to sit in traffic, as it's all strip malls, big box stores, and fast food restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That's odd. I've never really had a problem on Cobb Parkway, but I don't tend to be there during rush hour times.

For me, as I live north of West Midtown, Collier Road to Howell Mill, Chattahoochee to Howell Mill, and Huff to Howell Mill....I guess the real problem is Howell Mill!

But, turning left off of Howell Mill onto Collier yesterday, my wife was second in line, but had to wait through six light cycles, even with an arrow. All because every single time, some self-important jackass pulled out into the intersection on red and blocked all traffic. Coming to Howell Mill from the west on Collier, traffic can back up for 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.

Chattahoochee backs up because the traffic between Chattahoochee and I-75 on Howell Mill is miserable. Lights are horribly timed and backups are constant. When lights turn green, there is often nowhere to go.

Huff looks like it's about to get widened. The big problem here is that most people come down Huff and turn right, but all it takes is one left-turning person, and everything stops. I've also seen this road back up half a mile or more, and have waited upwards of 20 minutes to get to the intersection.

The last road for me is Ivan Allen from Marietta to Peachtree. They've done a little to fix it, but this stretch is miserable in the afternoons.
Howell Mill is awful during the day, though I find it pretty easy to cut around (especially due to my beloved, gross-looking Northside Drive). But I *really* hate people turning left onto Defoors from Howell Mill, as it screws everyone up behind them for a really long time. There needs to be no left-turn allowed there, or a turning lane, or an arrow.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,890,108 times
I agree, Cobb Parkway sucks. So does the Peachtree Rd/Lenox area. Piedmont sucks too. Cops directing traffic makes it even worse.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM

349 posts, read 758,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Ohhhh yeah. I used to drive that every day, and once it took me two hours. Aren't they widening 140 now though?
Yes, on the Cherokee side. I moved to Alpharetta a few years ago and rarely get over there anymore. If that bridge iced over, it took 45 minutes to drive around.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM

349 posts, read 758,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Most of I-285 stinks.

Would you believe I can make it home to Jones Bridge/Old Alabama area in UNDER 45 minutes from the Airport....even done it on Friday rush hour once.

285 east moves at 70+ that time of day!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 PM

444 posts, read 782,694 times
Up until about three years ago, I would have put Stone Mountain Hwy (US 78 East of the mountain) on this list, but since they did away with the reversible lanes, have three full lanes in each direction, and improved the traffic signals, it's not too bad. It can get a little sluggish at times, especially during rush hour, but it's not nearly as bad as it was, or nearly as bad as many of the other major thoroughfares mentioned in this thread.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM

148 posts, read 177,193 times
Whatever that road is that goes through downtown Roswell and the adjacent roads. Spent a weekend up there recently for a friend's wedding and I don't think I've ever sat in that much traffic in my life, and I'm a native Atlantan.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,106,016 times
that would be Canton Street, equally bad is Holcomb Bridge during rush hours.

If going to downtown Roswell, try City Hall or park on the streets in the subdivisions along Coleman Road and walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or