U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM

7,700 posts, read 9,540,558 times

Advertisements

For the past 16 years, I have contended that Cobb Parkway is the most frustrating road in all of Atlanta, especially the portion in Smyrna.

Never before have I seen such a major road where you can literally sit and watch a light turn from red to green back to red back to green then to red again and you haven't moved at all. What a horrible road.

Yesterday I had a doctor appointment at Emory and I realized something. I think Briarcliff may be almost or even as frustrating as Cobb Parkway, particularly the area around Lavista. It's not like Cobb Parkway where you don't move at all, but you crawl for long periods of time. How in the world can they have such a highly traveled road and it's still just a dinky 2 lane street without a turn lane? It's one of those situations where just one person deciding he wants to turn left can tie up hundreds of people for 10 extra minutes. Frustrating!

I think I'm still going to call Cobb Parkway the most frustrating road just because I know that if you really know the Emory area well, there are many ways that you can avoid Briarcliff. My friend who was an attending physician at Emory NEVER got on Briarcliff, he knew all the backroads that had no traffic. You can do the same with Cobb Parkway, but Spring and Windy Hill are just as annoying and don't save you any real time.

That's why I hate Cobb Parkway so much. There's really no way around it. Roads like Pleasant Hill and Holcomb Bridge can be highly annoying, but if you know your way around, you can easily avoid them with roads that are far less annoying.

Oh, Barrett Parkway. What a disaster that road is. I don't know Kennesaw well enough to know if there are easier ways around it or not. If not, I'd put it up there with Cobb Parkway, but I don't know the area. I do know Smyrna, and Cobb Parkway is horrible and there are no decent ways around it. So it still gets my vote.

What do you think the most frustrating road in all of Atlanta is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM

230 posts, read 394,615 times
Mt. Vernon eastbound in the evenings. No turn lane, queue cutters, going from two lanes to one, to two again and back to one. Freaking bottle necks! Not to mention that most of the people are just cutting through.

Also, Mt. Vernon westbound at the intersection of Roswell Rd. I try and avoid that all costs!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,168,399 times
Quote:
For the past 16 years, I have contended that Cobb Parkway is the most frustrating road in all of Atlanta, especially the portion in Smyrna.
Vote YES on the TIA, July 31st, and in 10 years you could be zooming past traffic on BRT or LRT. There's your solution.
Quote:
Mt. Vernon eastbound in the evenings. No turn lane, queue cutters, going from two lanes to one, to two again and back to one. Freaking bottle necks! Not to mention that most of the people are just cutting through.

Also, Mt. Vernon westbound at the intersection of Roswell Rd. I try and avoid that all costs!
Loving zooming past all those people stuck in traffic on my bike.
Back to OP:
Ashford-Dunwoody road south of Perimeter Center to I-285. Everyone blocks the intersections its just a clusterF.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM

230 posts, read 394,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Vote YES on the TIA, July 31st, and in 10 years you could be zooming past traffic on BRT or LRT. There's your solution.

Loving zooming past all those people stuck in traffic on my bike.
Back to OP:
Ashford-Dunwoody road south of Perimeter Center to I-285. Everyone blocks the intersections its just a clusterF.
The TIA will add a turn lane on Mt. Vernon, so it should alleivate some of the traffic. I know that the TIA will also fund the stretch you are talking about, but I can not recall what they have planned.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,876,352 times
Mt. Vernon, Tillt Mill, Ashford-Dunwoody and Roswell Road. I avoid all three. They're like death by a thousand cuts.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,553,212 times
Roswell Road for that 1 mile stretch outside of I285

Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

727 posts, read 1,036,930 times
North Druid Hills Rd

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM

49 posts, read 57,157 times
Moreland Avenue/Briarcliff Rd around Ponce de Leon Avenue REALLY annoys me....

Old 06-28-2012, 10:30 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,103,336 times
Moreland near I20 is a hated stretch of mine, I avoid it though as I know a lot of backstreets.

I also agree with you on Cobb Pkwy and would add Windy Hill to the mix as well. Both of those roads were my nemesis when I lived in Cobb and were the main reasons why I moved out of Cobb, there are not enough backstreets to avoid major thoroughfares in Cobb and when there are you have to go out of your way and twisty turn around in circles.

Briarcliff Rd is a nightmare. I used to work up there an luckily it was just a temp job as I would never want to work in that area. I didn't know the backstreets over there though and if I did and they didn't take me all over the place with twists and turns, it probably would have been okay.

Ponce is bad in spots, but not too bad IMO.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,096,990 times
I try to drive only in Gwinnett. Well maintained roads, synchronized lights, standard sized lanes on the interstate, no north fulton drivers, I can't remember ever seeing a speed trap either.

Gwinnett is Great!

Most frustrating? Anything in north fulton and forsyth county GA 20. 20 sucks from the minute you cross into forsyth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or