U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 18,101 times

Advertisements

We're a couple looking at rentals in and around our target neighborhood of Candler Park. We've seen a few places just a block or two south of Dekalb (near the Edgewood shopping area) that we've really loved.

The proximity to the train (and the Candler Park neighborhood) is great, but should we be concerned about being south of Dekalb, even by a couple blocks? (We feel okay about it, but we've heard that it's much better to be north of Dekalb.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
No that area is good. The closer to memorial the sketcher it gets. I constantly walk or ride a bike through those streets all times of the day. The proximity to the retail district and MARTA station is great. Have you looked in Kirkwood? Spend a day just walking around the area.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 AM

We haven't been to Kirkwood yet, although we might get over there today. I haven't seen many Kirkwood listings that weren't too far south, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 AM

The whole south of DeKalb thing is old and outdated as that was the color line between the whites of Candler Park and the blacks of Reyonldstown and Edgewood. There is a growing number of young professionals living in Edgewood and Kirkwood, both offer convenience to downtown, little 5 points, decatur, and other amenities.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 AM

That is good to know. We've heard a lot about staying north/south/east/west of certain streets. Sometimes it seems to make sense, sometimes it doesn't. We've also noticed that some neighborhoods change from block to block, but this block seemed well-kept and friendly.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch_it_chewie View Post
That is good to know. We've heard a lot about staying north/south/east/west of certain streets. Sometimes it seems to make sense, sometimes it doesn't. We've also noticed that some neighborhoods change from block to block, but this block seemed well-kept and friendly.
Which block if you don't mind me asking? or message me and I can tell you more. I constantly walk, ride bike or bus through those streets everyday.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM

738 posts, read 1,118,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch_it_chewie View Post
Overall, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. I live in Kirkwood and drive through this area every day -- it seems fine. cqholt is right about the DeKalb divider being outdated. It gets a little sketchier south of Hosea Williams, but it's still not too bad until you get to Memorial. North of Hosea, there are some very nice restored homes and it's super convenient in terms of location.

In this area it can change from block-to-block, but is more likely to be street-to-street or house-to-house. If you feel safe in general, it's probably okay. I recommend walking around the specific area you're interested in during the day, in the evening, and at night to get a good idea of whether or how the vibe changes. Keep an eye out for potentially noisy neighbors and drug traffic.

The only thing I'd warn against is getting too close to the Edgewood Court apartments down at the end of Hardee Street. The folks who live in that area report a lot of crime, including kids with guns, car theft, and home vandalism. The Edgewood and Kirkwood communities are working on fixing this, but progress is slow.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Overall, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. I live in Kirkwood and drive through this area every day -- it seems fine. cqholt is right about the DeKalb divider being outdated. It gets a little sketchier south of Hosea Williams, but it's still not too bad until you get to Memorial. North of Hosea, there are some very nice restored homes and it's super convenient in terms of location.

In this area it can change from block-to-block, but is more likely to be street-to-street or house-to-house. If you feel safe in general, it's probably okay. I recommend walking around the specific area you're interested in during the day, in the evening, and at night to get a good idea of whether or how the vibe changes. Keep an eye out for potentially noisy neighbors and drug traffic.

The only thing I'd warn against is getting too close to the Edgewood Court apartments down at the end of Hardee Street. The folks who live in that area report a lot of crime, including kids with guns, car theft, and home vandalism. The Edgewood and Kirkwood communities are working on fixing this, but progress is slow.
Thanks for the info. We got to walk around a bit more today and I think we have a better sense of the area. We're used to city living, so we try to be smart about our surroundings. We were ideally looking for a fairly diverse neighborhood (we live in Queens, NY now, so we're used to a mix of people), a location where we could walk to stores/restaurants, and an apartment within our (nothuge) budget. I think this will work for us.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 PM

If you've lived in Queens then you have nothing to worry about. You understand how to live in an urban area.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 PM

87 posts, read 163,796 times
I agree with the others as my wife and I bought a home in Edgewood last year. Candler Park is a great area and should not have any worries. Like others have said, things can change depending on the street mostly in Edgewood though. Its a great area and location to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or