U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 PM

86 posts, read 134,856 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Very helpfull. I looked at the High Point Elem and the stats weren't so good, so I checked out Heards Ferry. Better. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,580,391 times
For preschools, look at the Schiff Preschool at Temple Emanu-el in Sandy Springs:

SchiffPreschool

and at the Weinstein School at Marcus JCC in Dunwoody:

MJCCA | JCC of Atlanta • MJCCA Preschools: The Future Starts Here

The surrounding areas have significant Jewish populations.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM

26 posts, read 65,334 times
Bsharynu,

You should definitely look in East Cobb. Our Jewish friend who has lived there for a while LOVES the Jewish community there--in fact she moved there specifically for that reason. We are not Jewish but we're in the same situation as you (with slightly older kids). We decided to look for a rental so we could have more time to investigate neighborhoods before we buy. The rentals in East Cobb (Walton High School district especially) go FAST, sometimes within hours. Get an agent or check craigslist hourly! Good luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM

5,108 posts, read 6,118,426 times
East Cobb, Walton District. Many Jewish families within the area. 2 maybe 3 temples from orthodox to reformed. Many non practicing Jewish as well. Hard to do better according to your criteria

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,836,053 times
If you can make the commute work, East Cobb is simply the best choice that meets your criteria, in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 PM

My husband would most likely be working downtown by the courthouses? (I think). I hear Atlanta traffic is horrible, but is it any worse than DC? We are unfamiliar with MARTA and if it is a good way to commute. We are coming from DC, and the metro system is great. If MARTA is a good way to commute and easy to get to the station from the burbs, that is helpful. (I also don't know the cost of MARTA or parking at the stations or can you take a bus to the station or even walk). It looks like our main areas to focus are Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, and Marietta. Someone had mentioned Toco Hills, and another person had mentioned to me Virginia Highlands/Morningside. But, I have no idea where Virginia Highlands/Morningside is and Toco Hills seems maybe too pricey like Buckhead. I think someone had mentioned Virginia Highlands/Morningside as I mentioned there was a possibility my husband would be at CDC, but that is probably not likely.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 PM

12,983 posts, read 21,114,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
If you can make the commute work, East Cobb is simply the best choice that meets your criteria, in my opinion.
East Cobb to Downtown can be an OK commute. If they live in the part of the Walton district near the Wheeler district line, even better--relatively easy access to I-75 (and they will already be far down 75 towards downtown).

If they live in the part of the Walton district near the river/Sandy Springs, they may be able to drive over to some of the MARTA stations over in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Perimeter area--and then take the rail directly south to downtown.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 AM

4,000 posts, read 4,598,325 times
you don't want to live in east cobb if you're concerned about traffic. i don't know why anyone's recommending east cobb, they must have read a different post. you said public transit would be good to be near, you don't like traffic, and you're commuting to downtown. east cobb is probably as far out as you can get and commute, but it'll be a long one. dunwoody is probably a better choice, considering the JCC is right there along with a handful of synagogues to choose from, and there are also a handful of intown neighbourhoods you could live in to be close to shul and have good schools also, such as north druid hills. east cobb is mostly hype, it's very suburban... most folks who don't live there refer to it as "east snob".

Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,864 times
North Druid Hills and Druid Hills in Dekalb County are great neighborhoods and are Jewish Communities that are really nice and have a great community feel.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM

If we do end up in the Jewish communities of Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, do the professional Jewish families that live there send their kids to the public schools too? Or do most of those Jewish families send their kids to private school? I would prefer to send my children to public school. I am coming from a state and county with very good schools (Montgomery county, md) and I understand that GA school systems are strained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or