U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,826,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you don't want to live in east cobb if you're concerned about traffic. i don't know why anyone's recommending east cobb, they must have read a different post. you said public transit would be good to be near, you don't like traffic, and you're commuting to downtown. east cobb is probably as far out as you can get and commute, but it'll be a long one. dunwoody is probably a better choice, considering the JCC is right there along with a handful of synagogues to choose from, and there are also a handful of intown neighbourhoods you could live in to be close to shul and have good schools also, such as north druid hills. east cobb is mostly hype, it's very suburban... most folks who don't live there refer to it as "east snob".

I don't live in East Cobb but I know many people who do and while some may think there are snobby parts to it, once you hit a certain price point in any community that happens (See the recent community discussions about redistricting in the Grady cluster, specifically Morningside vs Mary Lin.)

While Dunwoody has the JCC, a great many Jewish families now live in East Cobb. Walton High School, and its feeders, most likely have the largest concentration of Jewish students.

DeKalb County Schools are problematic. No other school system (except perhaps Clayton) is in such dire financial straights as DeKalb -- and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. For families who want to use public school, this has to be a consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,573,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
If we do end up in the Jewish communities of Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, do the professional Jewish families that live there send their kids to the public schools too? Or do most of those Jewish families send their kids to private school? I would prefer to send my children to public school. I am coming from a state and county with very good schools (Montgomery county, md) and I understand that GA school systems are strained.
I'd say it's a mix. A lot of the Jewish families in Dunwoody use the Davis Academy, and a number use the Greenfield Hebrew Academy or The Epstein School. But there are some who use public school as well. Be aware that Dunwoody lies at the intersection of DeKalb and Fulton Counties; those in 30338 are DeKalb and those in 30350 are Fulton. There's a big difference (IMHO) in the quality of the schools between the two counties. Although Austin and Vanderlyn are traditionally considered great schools, they are significantly overcrowded and the DeKalb County system is undergoing a lot of problems (see posts by lastminutemom). However, the Fulton Schools in 30350 (Dunwoody Springs and, less so, Woodland) are minority majority schools. Dunwoody Springs is approximately 16% English-speaking Caucasian. Don't know how much that matters to you, but it's important information to have. ETA: Woodland is actually in 30328, but geographically very close to Dunwoody Springs and 30350.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM

86 posts, read 134,556 times
So, it looks like a no-win situation? No, I don't want to send my kids to a school with 16% English speaking, and i dont want to spend at least $20k per year per child on private school. Ugh.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,573,918 times
Well, there's no obvious solution that meets all your criteria, at least when it comes to North Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. I do believe that those communities are better choices (as opposed to East Cobb) to meet your criteria when it comes to commuting, but something's gotta give, as they say. I live in 30350, and most families in single family homes in that zip tend to use private schools. If you can afford a home in the Riverwood District (Sandy Springs), then take a look at that (either 30328 or 30342).

Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Thank you. What are good websites to use to look at houses on the MLS from afar? I have been using Redfin as I find it to be pretty accurate and updates quickly. I saved some houses to my "favorites" on that site and will go back and check the schools. I think we are aiming for around $500k, lower if possible.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Harry Norman realtors has a great website. Use their property search feature and then choose schools. Have u checked heards ferry?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Thanks. I'll look on Harry Norman too as searching by schools is helpful. Redfin doesn't let you do that. It looks like the homes in Heards Ferry are older and you really need to spend between $550 and $700k to get a decent home. Any other equivalent schools that have a good cluster with all 3 (ES, MS, and HS) that are in the area I am seeking?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 PM

What is your price point? And what type of house (newer, older, how many bedrooms etc)

I want to make another suggestion (kind of out of the box). Why don't you rent for 6 months to a year, in the Dunwoody area. The Jewish Community preschools generally never really fill up (but double check, first), housing prices aren't going to change dramatically here anytime soon, and this will allow you to visit schools when they are in session to get a real feel for them and the differences among them. It will also allow your husband to determine what works in a commute and what doesn't.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM

I correct myself.. Most of those active homes by the ES are close to $1M. One of the reasons I am relocating is to get away from that. Where I live now, $800K gets you a 4 bed colonial that is a fixer upper and under 3000 sq ft. I am leaving a good area for schools, so I am starting to get a little frustrated.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM

lastminutemom, you are very helpful. Thank you. We do plan on renting at first, (my preference not too long) so we can get a feel for the area. My guess is that our budget will be $450-550K (possibly up to 600). We want a newer home with 4-5 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. Luckily, my oldest will be in pre-k this year, so we have the school year to figure things out. Reading through different threads it seemed like Vanalyn and dunwoody hs were good but the Dekalb county situation makes me nervous. Sandy springs seemed like a good school district, but I can't find an affordable home in heards ferry and unsure if there is another close alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or