U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,814,719 times

Advertisements

I would call the Marcus Jewish Community Center (the Dunwoody branch) tomorrow and see if they have space for next year. Dunwoody isn't really full of newer homes, not that are big and spacious and in your price range. You need to rent to really understand metro Atlanta.

The DeKalb school situation is problematic. Get here, get settled and then go visit schools. Let your husband try the commute from various parts of Metro Atlanta.

As CMMom said, there are many trade offs. Only your family can decide what works for them. But by renting, you can really evaluate all your options.

One other thing, if you decide on DeKalb, do not limit yourself to Vanderlyn. All the elementary schools in Dunwoody are good, with different personalities. Dunwoody Elementary is basically brand new, having just completed its first year as a k-5 school and doesn't suffer from the overcrowding that the other schools do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM

86 posts, read 134,350 times
Newer to me is anything in the 1990s or later. When we started looking for homes locally where I live now (before the relo became a factor), the homes were all built in the 70s. I am going to call JCC in the morning. I need a spot for both my pre-k and 2 year old. Thanks. I agree about coming here, getting settled and then finding my home. Yet, my initial "look at all of these beautiful houses that are so much bigger and more modern and less expensive than where I am now" is not really accurate.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM

12,941 posts, read 21,032,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
Newer to me is anything in the 1990s or later. When we started looking for homes locally where I live now (before the relo became a factor), the homes were all built in the 70s. I am going to call JCC in the morning. I need a spot for both my pre-k and 2 year old. Thanks. I agree about coming here, getting settled and then finding my home. Yet, my initial "look at all of these beautiful houses that are so much bigger and more modern and less expensive than where I am now" is not really accurate.
If you consider East Cobb, you will see the less expensive homes in great school districts.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,566,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If you consider East Cobb, you will see the less expensive homes in great school districts.

But again, the tradeoff is in terms of commute for your husband. You're going to have to weigh your priorities and determine what takes precedence.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM

bsharynu,

I don't know how this thread took a semi-doom/gloom turn all of a sudden, but you have many options--and you will find the "less expensive/good school/newer home" option that you can't find in Maryland.

Yes, the DeKalb County situation can be problematic, but, based on your criteria, you still have East Cobb and Sandy Springs. And, like lastminutemom said, the elementary schools in Dunwoody are all good. And--the East Cobb commute to Downtown, though not as good as Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, is OK, not bad--especially since you will be considering the Walton district.

So, here is a more detailed public elementary school list you should consider based on the criteria/desires/needs you expressed as this thread progressed:

Sandy Springs
Heards Ferry Elementary (Riverwood Cluster)
Spalding Drive Elementary (feeds into both the Riverwood Cluster and North Springs Cluster)
Woodland Elementary (feeds into both the North Springs Cluster and Riverwood Cluster)

East Cobb
Timber Ridge Elementary* (Walton Cluster)
East Side Elementary (Walton Cluster)
Mount Bethel Elementary (Walton Cluster)
Murdock Elementary* (Walton Cluster)
Sope Creek Elementary* (Walton Cluster)
Kincaid Elementary* (Walton Cluster)

Dunwoody
Chestnut Elementary (Dunwoody High Cluster)
Kingsley Elementary (Dunwoody High Cluster)
Dunwoody Elementary (Dunwoody High Cluster)
Austin Elementary (Dunwoody High Cluster)
Vanderlyn Elementary (Dunwoody High Cluster)

*Each of these elementary school districts will have some neighborhoods that feed into a different high school cluster: Timber Ridge (Pope), Murdock (Pope), Sope Creek (Wheeler), Kincaid (Sprayberry).

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
But again, the tradeoff is in terms of commute for your husband. You're going to have to weigh your priorities and determine what takes precedence.
Lower/Southern East Cobb still offers an OK commute to Downtown. The Walton and Wheeler districts are "inner suburb" East Cobb.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
So, it looks like a no-win situation? No, I don't want to send my kids to a school with 16% English speaking, and i dont want to spend at least $20k per year per child on private school. Ugh.

Have you looked into homes and neighborhods in the Spalding Drive Charter Elementary school district in Sandy Springs?

Here is some information:

Spalding Drive Charter Elementary

http://portal.fultonschools.org/depa...iveES_1112.pdf

http://portal.fultonschools.org/depa...feeder1112.pdf

I think you may be very interested in the Princeton Falls neighborhood/subdivision (and there are others as well):

Princeton Square and Princeton Falls HOA

Princeton Falls Sandy Springs Atlanta Homes For Sale in Fulton County 30350

*Newer homes.
*Well within your price range.
*Swim/Tennis Community (together with Princeton Square allowing for more kids/families to "mesh" with).
*Great elementary school district in Jewish-friendly Sandy Springs.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM

86 posts, read 134,350 times
Uniforms?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,104,933 times
I don't know didley about the schools but I thought maybe I could contribute by answering some of these unanswered questions...
Quote:
I hear Atlanta traffic is horrible, but is it any worse than DC?

+++
I am a little familiar with DC.
While I do think DC is an easier place to learn your way around (having relatively flat terrain and many straight, uniquely named roads), I think you'll agree that it takes longer to get around DC and the traffic is well... pretty bad.
Atlanta has a horrible reputation when it comes to traffic but I think DC is worse. That said, you're looking at some areas that are amongst the most congested, windy, rinky-dink roads with an increasing number of unnecessary red lights and confusingly similar street names. It's really kind of a draw.
If you're not having to commute at peak times, and once you get the hang of it, you'll probably conclude that Atlanta is a little better in that department. At least for the time being.

Quote:
We are unfamiliar with MARTA and if it is a good way to commute. We are coming from DC, and the metro system is great.

+++
Marta has a great deal of potential and many people use it to commute from the areas that have been mentioned (except for E. Cobb), I don't think you'll find it to be on the same level as the DC metro or any commuter rail that's up that way. So Atlanta wins it for the traffic but DC wins it for the mass transit. What can you do? The culture and attitude up there is different when it comes to planning and transportation. And having more people and really awful traffic probably had something to do with it also.

(((
Quote:
Ideally, we would like to be in a Jewish community
+++
The north druid hills/ toco hills area is the first thing to come to mind. It's not exclusively Jewish but it's as close to feeling like a Jewish community as you're gonna get. They're more religious there than the other areas.

I don't know if Atlanta is quite like Montgomery county... Down here, Jews are concentrated mostly in just a few small pockets. Dunwoody/sandy springs should be next on your list as it's one of those pockets.

If instead, you're looking for a really nice area with better (from what I hear) public schools that's less expensive but with a longer commute and no rail system, yet don't want to be the only jewish family, then Roswell/East Cobb is worth looking in to. But you can forget about this "mix of the two" stuff when asked about urban v/ suburban. It's very very suburban feel.

The Jewish areas have been known to change. Back in the 70's, Buford Highway up near Chamblee used to have a lot of jews. Needless to say, it's changed. More and more Jews are moving into North Fulton. Although that's farther out than you probably want to be.

Buckhead is also a really nice area with some jews but I think you ruled it out due to cost. Again, I can't comment on the schools.

Quote:
and live in a neighborhood with a community feel - community pool would be nice.
+++
We call those subdivisions. You'll find more and more of those the farther out you go.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Uniforms?
Check the school out. Another viable option in Sandy Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or