U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM

86 posts, read 134,200 times

Advertisements

I will check the school out. I just posted to the school forum about Spalding Drive ES. Do you know the answer? I am anxious to see the 2011 stats come out, so I can see how things have changed even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I will check the school out. I just posted to the school forum about Spalding Drive ES. Do you know the answer? I am anxious to see the 2011 stats come out, so I can see how things have changed even more.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25037419-post458.html

Why so anxious? Are the demographics scaring you?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Trying to analyze demographics, class size and test scores plus the subdivisions in the area.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

75 posts, read 156,006 times
Analysis paralysis here!

Relax. The fascination with "only the best" schools is tiresome, and it's unnecessary. Look, you've gotten plenty of good advice on several areas along with the various and sundry positives and negatives of each. There's no free lunch, and to get something, you've gotta give something. East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and North Dekalb (around Lakeside HS, etc.) all have something to offer and something to give up.

If you're making a decision on the margins -- say, the schools in Benteen Park in Atlanta versus the Walton cluster, then sure, it makes a difference. But forgive me if I'm overstepping -- you're obsessing over statistics. If your children are motivated, have a supportive environment at home that values education, and involvement from both parents, they will do FINE. I promise.

Figure out what is important to YOUR family and then make a decision based on the totality of your situation.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Thank you for all the different insight.

UPDATE - We are coming down for a visit in a couple of weeks and I am going to visit a couple of preschools while my husband is at his work meeting. We rented a car and going to spend the weekend driving around Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and East Cobb. While that won't give us all the answers, it is a start. I keep going back and forth in my head about all 3 areas. So, I think that actually being in Atlanta (when we move) and spending some time in all 3 areas will make things a little clearer for me.

In speaking with one of the preschool directors, she thinks East Cobb schools may be the best for our family. My son receives early intervention services up here, and she thinks Cobb County is pretty good with that.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Princeton Falls.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM

21 posts, read 151,047 times
Consider the Roswell area in North Fulton too ... my family is Jewish and we really like the area. The schools are great, the city of Roswell has great parks and a neat little downtown area, and the houses are nice and newer yet still affordable. It is farther than Dunwoody/Sandy Springs but not as far out as East Cobb, plus there is a rail station not too far from Roswell. It takes us 15 minutes to get to the JCC in Dunwoody (without traffic) and about 15 minutes in the other direction to get to our shul (Etz Chaim in Marietta). S.R. 400 is bad with traffic during rush hours, but so is all other areas.

I grew up in East Cobb and back then there weren't hardly any Jewish families but I hear that has changed.

Dunwoody/Sandy Springs really are nice areas and there's great restaurants and shopping nearby as well, plus we love, love the JCC. Good luck with your decision, you have a lot of great options!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,743 times
I would love to suggest West Cobb, where my reform Congregation Ner Tamid is located. They have a Religious School that starts with Pre K and goes through Grade 12, Confirmation & B'nai Mitzvah.

Establised in 206, currently they meet in various borrowed / rented spaces in West Cobb for Shabbat Services and Religious School, while they look to have their own location by 2013.

The Religious School is currently in Acworth and services are held in Western Marietta twice a month off of Dallas Highway.

For over ten years, I took the express bus from Marietta to Downtown Atlanta, comfy reclining seats, overhead lights, etc. and very friendly folks. There are other express buses in Kennesaw & Powder Springs. You will find homes in West Cobb more reasonable than East Cobb.

Our Congregation is very family friendly and welcome a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
My husband possibly has a job opportunity that would move us to Atlanta. My husband would be looking downtown. We are looking for a nice neighborhood that is safe, family friendly, and with good schools. We have one child entering pre-K and another child who is 2 1/2. Ideally, we would like to be in a Jewish community and live in a neighborhood with a community feel - community pool would be nice.

1. Budget - We are unsure and a little open as we are moving from an area with a higher cost of living
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to downtown
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban preferably or mix of two (suburban/urban). We don't want country or anything too far out.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Easy access to public transportation would be ideal but open. Will be commuting downtown
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Jewish areas. We are reform/conservative not orthodox. We grew up in NJ/MA and then currently live in MD right outside DC.

Since my son is entering pre-k, I need a good school for pre-k. JCC? Preschool in synagogue? Other? I would like a Jewish preschool but plan on going to public school for kindergarten.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,255,546 times
Dunwoody near Tilly Mill road, big jewish center in the area, and nice homes .

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

GwenyP. The Rabbi's father at Etz Chaim was my Rabbi growing up in NJ and was the Rabbi at my Bat Mitzvah. My husband would be working downtown, so we think Roswell may be too far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or