Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM

86 posts, read 163,985 times

Advertisements

My husband possibly has a job opportunity that would move us to Atlanta. My husband would be looking downtown. We are looking for a nice neighborhood that is safe, family friendly, and with good schools. We have one child entering pre-K and another child who is 2 1/2. Ideally, we would like to be in a Jewish community and live in a neighborhood with a community feel - community pool would be nice.

1. Budget - We are unsure and a little open as we are moving from an area with a higher cost of living
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to downtown
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban preferably or mix of two (suburban/urban). We don't want country or anything too far out.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Easy access to public transportation would be ideal but open. Will be commuting downtown
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Jewish areas. We are reform/conservative not orthodox. We grew up in NJ/MA and then currently live in MD right outside DC.

Since my son is entering pre-k, I need a good school for pre-k. JCC? Preschool in synagogue? Other? I would like a Jewish preschool but plan on going to public school for kindergarten.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,756,416 times
FYI Here is a recent thread that talks about the Jewish Community in the Atlanta area

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ndly-area.html

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

16,650 posts, read 29,375,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
My husband possibly has a job opportunity that would move us to Atlanta. My husband would be looking downtown. We are looking for a nice neighborhood that is safe, family friendly, and with good schools. We have one child entering pre-K and another child who is 2 1/2. Ideally, we would like to be in a Jewish community and live in a neighborhood with a community feel - community pool would be nice.

1. Budget - We are unsure and a little open as we are moving from an area with a higher cost of living
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to downtown
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban preferably or mix of two (suburban/urban). We don't want country or anything too far out.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Easy access to public transportation would be ideal but open. Will be commuting downtown
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Jewish areas. We are reform/conservative not orthodox. We grew up in NJ/MA and then currently live in MD right outside DC.

Since my son is entering pre-k, I need a good school for pre-k. JCC? Preschool in synagogue? Other? I would like a Jewish preschool but plan on going to public school for kindergarten.

Thanks!

Based on your criteria, you should look--

In the Walton High Cluster in East Cobb.

In the Riverwood High Cluster in Sandy Springs.

In the Dunwoody High Cluster in Dunwoody.

Secondary possibilities--

In the Pope High Cluster in East Cobb.

In the North Springs High Cluster in Sandy Springs.

Let me/us know if you need/want more detailed information. I hope this helps some.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-29-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM

I did read that thread and took down notes. Since my children are much younger and I am looking at preschool and elementary school, I wanted to start a fresh thread.

Does Sandy Springs pay Atlanta city taxes? If no, Even if it is in the perimeter? I noticed that half of Sandy Springs is outside the perimeter and half in the perimeter.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I did read that thread and took down notes. Since my children are much younger and I am looking at preschool and elementary school, I wanted to start a fresh thread.

Does Sandy Springs pay Atlanta city taxes? If no, Even if it is in the perimeter? I noticed that half of Sandy Springs is outside the perimeter and half in the perimeter.

I said "cluster" because it will include a fair amount of elementary schools in each. Let me/us know what other kind details you would like.

Sandy Springs is now a separate city and does not pay Atlanta city taxes.

You are right--Sandy Springs is "ATP" (at the perimeter). Partly inside the perimeter, partly out.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,623,914 times
Parts of Sandy Springs are inside the perimeter and no, they are their own city, so no to City of Atlanta taxes.
A lot is going to depend on what type of house you want vs how easy of a commute.

Look in the Heards Ferry Elementary district in Riverwood.

Tons and tons of Jewish families in East Cobb (the Walton District) and really strong public schools.

You need to figure out where you are living first, and then the preschool will follow.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-29-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Thanks. We will probably go down there and do a short term rental so we can visit different neighborhoods and then buy. All this information is helpful and I am starting to get a feel. I like to use the site redfin.com to look for active listings. Unfortunately, since I am looking for private preschools for August/September for both children, I have to call around now. My guess is that a lot could be full.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,623,914 times
Actually, I just corrected my post above -- Heards Ferry is the elementary school to look at.

The Jewish Federation offers a list of preschools

Early Childhood Education Centers

Many preschools may very well have spaces. During the recession, preschools became viewed as an option not a necessity and many have not been full.

These are spread out throughout metro Atlanta, but it should be a starting point.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,767,398 times
Dunwoody or Sandy Springs.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dunwoody or Sandy Springs.

or East Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta