U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,350,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
How many threads are you going to pollute with this same line of questioning?
Thank You!

I like how they ignore any suggestions anybody gives them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 AM

2,121 posts, read 2,110,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Yeah, we know the hipsters like the area, but is it also attracting Paul who is a project manager at Home Depot and his wife Sarah, who works in accounts receivable at Price Waterhouse?
I've got a couple handfuls of friends and family that live in the area. None of them have ironic beards, hats, or skinny jeans. Most are white-collar types, with the remainder being made up of a couple teachers and small business owners.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,529,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Thank You!

I like how they ignore any suggestions anybody gives them!
None were given that meet the criteria.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,657,196 times
Check "Hard to Please 1st Time Buyers" then "Suburb or City for Atlanta Duo"

House Hunters Full Episodes : Home & Garden Television

Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,657,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not so sure if all of this is yet appealing to normal everyday young families.

I mean, it might, but the article did pick to feature a man with an ironic beard wearing an ironic hat who works at an ironic brewing company.

Yeah, we know the hipsters like the area, but is it also attracting Paul who is a project manager at Home Depot and his wife Sarah, who works in accounts receivable at Price Waterhouse?
This year's Kirkwood Home Tour featured the home of an accountant for Coca-Cola (among other professionals)...

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

738 posts, read 1,149,825 times
I live in Kirkwood and I'm a white-collar professional, as is DH. He has a beard, but it's not ironic.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM

29,146 posts, read 26,087,769 times
Major changes afoot in intown schools.

Quote:
Over the past few years, demographic shifts have also begun to show up in the Atlanta Public Schools, which are starting to look more like the city as a whole.

Historically, whites in the city of Atlanta have been underrepresented in the school system. In the year 2000, non-hispanic whites represented 31% of the city’s population. However, only 7% of students were white.

Recently, that has started to change. Over the past 10 years, growth in white student share outpaced growth in white population share by 4 to 1, with white student share growing 71% from 2000 to 2010. This appears to be the result of 3 concurrent trends.

North and East Atlanta neighborhoods, which are majority white, have experienced a baby boom with kindergarten enrollment in elementary schools increasing significantly.

Parents are choosing to stay in the public school system for middle school. APS middle schools Inman and Sutton have seen steady increases in the number of white students attending the schools.

In southeast Atlanta, and west Midtown/Buckhead, white parents are choosing to enroll their children in local elementary schools.

Three elementary schools have undergone particularly large demographic changes in the past few years. They are: Toomer Elementary, Bolton Academy, and Parkside Elementary.

More details...

Grading Atlanta • Three Atlanta Schools to Watch

Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 17,376,786 times
Toomer covers the entire 30317 zip code area, that ranked 7th in the nation as the fastest growing white zip code. Changing races should not mean anything, but when it comes to schools, some parents see color and think a majority black school is bad. These changes to Toomer will carry over to Coan and then Jackson as parents in 30317 have shown and pledged backing the local public schools. I think this corner of Atlanta is showing the changes that mirrored Mary-Lin and Inman in the 1990's.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM

100 posts, read 111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Toomer covers the entire 30317 zip code area, that ranked 7th in the nation as the fastest growing white zip code. Changing races should not mean anything, but when it comes to schools, some parents see color and think a majority black school is bad. These changes to Toomer will carry over to Coan and then Jackson as parents in 30317 have shown and pledged backing the local public schools. I think this corner of Atlanta is showing the changes that mirrored Mary-Lin and Inman in the 1990's.
But cqholt, whilst I admire your optimism, 30317 has Drew Charter serving the neighborhoodm which is an issue that those 90's Inman parents never had. Drew has topped the charts for performance and is now fighting for the right to become a K-12 school. Considering it almost exclusively serves Kirkwood and East Lake, don't you think you will have a hard time getting involved Kirkwood parents to choose any other public school option, particularly when it comes to middle school? It seems to be the elephant in the room no one wants to discuss..

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM

13,425 posts, read 21,879,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

Beautiful post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or