Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure if all of this is yet appealing to normal everyday young families.

I mean, it might, but the article did pick to feature a man with an ironic beard wearing an ironic hat who works at an ironic brewing company.

Yeah, we know the hipsters like the area, but is it also attracting Paul who is a project manager at Home Depot and his wife Sarah, who works in accounts receivable at Price Waterhouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:28 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
City of Decatur is actually a charter school system.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
You didn't specify city size or poverty level in your original question. And FYI, Decatur City is 25% free lunch, which is a lot higher than most high-performing suburban schools.
I completely agree with all the posters. Turning around ATL intown schools takes work from involved parents and if you don't want to work you should stay in the suburbs.10 years ago Decatur schools were not performing at the levels they are now. I am sure Kirkwood can turn things round in the same way Decatur and Candler Park etc did. They already have made some great changes at Toomer.
In all fairness, the shift in Decatur's demographics has been dramatic. In the last 9 years, Decatur's poverty level has dropped from nearly 40 percent (39 percent in 2003-2004) to 25 percent this year. Other demographic changes in Decatur have impacted the system as well. I was with friends from Decatur yesterday who believe that the continuing problems in DeKalb are negatively impacting the Decatur schools because so many people are moving in. They like their small school system and schools and the benefits that come from the size of their schools and community. (It sure is helping their property values though.)

Committed parents can only do as much as the system allows them to do. For the most part, City of Atlanta bureaucrats have been receptive to the efforts of those parents throughout the system. However, a change in either system leadership, or school leadership, and different outcomes are possible.

In small school systems, which are ideal in my mind, you know your school board members, you run into them at the store, at community events, etc and it is much easier for them to be held accountable.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not so sure if all of this is yet appealing to normal everyday young families.

I mean, it might, but the article did pick to feature a man with an ironic beard wearing an ironic hat who works at an ironic brewing company.

Yeah, we know the hipsters like the area, but is it also attracting Paul who is a project manager at Home Depot and his wife Sarah, who works in accounts receivable at Price Waterhouse?

This post made me lol inside. "Ironic beard".

Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Could they have possibly been any more stereotypical?

The subject of the story is so obviously just a friend of Lori Johnston's.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Intown neighborhoods are loaded with people like that.

I must say I don't get the disdain for people who live intown. What is it about the people in these videos (who are fighting for Coan Middle School) that seems not "normal" to you?

Parents fight to keep Coan Middle School open | www.wsbtv.com

Parents to APS: You're closing all of our schools! - CBS Atlanta 46

Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Nothing. Those people seem normal.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
10 years ago Decatur schools were not performing at the levels they are now.
Speaking as a product of the CoD school system circa 10 years ago, they were still pretty much slaughtering every other intown public school system then.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I can have all of that at a low price in burbs. That's why people have to move out there for good public schools.
How many threads are you going to pollute with this same line of questioning?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:

I don't really know him, but I've met him a few time over the years. That's the way he's been dressing and wearing his facial hair since I first met him in the early 2000s. I'm sure he looks that way just because he wants to keep a 10+ year running gag of irony going, and not because that's the type of hat and facial hair he actually likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta