U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM
 
719 posts, read 1,032,129 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Atlanta lacks ALL of those things, they dont have any of those neighbrhoods mentioned in bold.
Sure about that? No, are you sure?

Your ignorance takes the cake. (Still waiting for you to explain whether you think Los Angeles is a 'truly diverse' city or has 'genuine ethnic neighborhoods'.)

 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
 
183 posts, read 65,135 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Whatever you say it is, its not a actual Chinatown neighborhood.

I am criticizing Atl for not having a Chinatown among MANY other things that i have mentioned within this thread. What ehtnic neighbrhoods do they have? NOT MANY!!!

Where else in the South do you see Chinatowns like philly NYC DC SF etc .. '' Your not going to find them.... and if you are basing things on that in that case there is no diversity over half of the USA.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,477 posts, read 6,503,847 times
Reputation: 3635
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
But, Atlanta does not have Chinatown. Any ou just admitted it. Thanks for FINALLY agreeing.

It proves they lack diversity in their metro and city.
No it doesn't. I proves that Atlanta never segregated it's Asian population into one area by law.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
You keep saying "beef up on your history" or "you are wrong", atlanta has diversity in the metro".

YET, you have not posted one fact. Where are the numbers for the Atlanta metro area ethnicities?

I have posted facts about the city ethnicities. I'm waiting on your stats for the metro to prove me wrong.
Good god!

I've been looking for a nice little table for you, but since you can't wait/find the information on your own:

Asian population in Metro Atlanta as of 2000 census: 135,959 (source)

Latino population in Metro Atlanta about 400,000.

Keep in mind as well that since 2000, there has been a huge increase in the Korean population and about 1.5 million people have moved here. My guess is the total number of Asians and Latinos in Atlanta is well over a million. We wont know for sure until next year.

Outside of that, you can see it every day with your eyes. This is a diverse city and it's pretty hard to find a place in this city where you can go and not see people of different ethnicities. But what does it matter, you know more about Atlanta from "visiting a few times" than native atlantans do....
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
 
150 posts, read 18,132 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Sure about that? No, are you sure?

Your ignorance takes the cake. (Still waiting for you to explain whether you think Los Angeles is a 'truly diverse' city or has 'genuine ethnic neighborhoods'.)
No, yours does. If they have those neighbrhoods then prove me wrong and show me pics of ANY of those neighbrhoods that I said they dont have. You are avoiding that question because you know those neighbrhoods DONT EXIST.

You know that I am right, which is the reason why you preceed to call me ignorant without posting any facts.

Yes, LA is diverse, it has many ehtnic neighborhoods.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
 
150 posts, read 18,132 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Where else in the South do you see Chinatowns like philly NYC DC SF etc .. '' Your not going to find them.... and if you are basing things on that in that case there is no diversity over half of the USA.
let me say this, it's not just the chinatown, it's everything in general. atlanta lacks diverse neighborhoods.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
 
183 posts, read 65,135 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No it doesn't. I proves that Atlanta never segregated it's Asian population into one area by law.




Good god!

I've been looking for a nice little table for you, but since you can't wait/find the information on your own:

Asian population in Metro Atlanta as of 2000 census: 135,959 (source)

Latino population in Metro Atlanta about 400,000.

Keep in mind as well that since 2000, there has been a huge increase in the Korean population and about 1.5 million people have moved here. My guess is the total number of Asians and Latinos in Atlanta is well over a million. We wont know for sure until next year.

Outside of that, you can see it every day with your eyes. This is a diverse city and it's pretty hard to find a place in this city where you can go and not see people of different ethnicities. But what does it matter, you know more about Atlanta from "visiting a few times" than native atlantans do....

Man this guy or girl is crazy. Because all the asians dont live in one spot and all the koreans dont live in one spot Atlanta is not diverse lol lol lol this logic is simple funny. Atlanta is not diverse because all the ethinic people dont wanna live amongst each other they choose to spread themselves all over the metro. DO you think thats what he is saying>??????
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
 
150 posts, read 18,132 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No it doesn't. I proves that Atlanta never segregated it's Asian population into one area by law.




Good god!

I've been looking for a nice little table for you, but since you can't wait/find the information on your own:

Asian population in Metro Atlanta as of 2000 census: 135,959 (source)

Latino population in Metro Atlanta about 400,000.

Keep in mind as well that since 2000, there has been a huge increase in the Korean population and about 1.5 million people have moved here. My guess is the total number of Asians and Latinos in Atlanta is well over a million. We wont know for sure until next year.

Outside of that, you can see it every day with your eyes. This is a diverse city and it's pretty hard to find a place in this city where you can go and not see people of different ethnicities. But what does it matter, you know more about Atlanta from "visiting a few times" than native atlantans do....
I want percentages of the metro area of all races. Like what I showed within the city limits. You proved nothing.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,070,856 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Whatever you say it is, its not a actual Chinatown neighborhood.

I am criticizing Atl for not having a Chinatown among MANY other things that i have mentioned within this thread. What ehtnic neighbrhoods do they have? NOT MANY!!!
You are changing your argument. Your original point was not about ethnic neighborhoods. It was about ethnic diversity, period. Chinatowns and other ethnic enclaves are older urban phenomenons. In newer big cities like Atlanta, where that sort of immigration has happened more recently, they don't head to urban areas which are already established; they head to the suburbs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/us/17census.html
The Map Scroll: Immigrants Moving to the Suburbs
Immigrants choosing suburbs, small towns over big cities (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1405853 - broken link)

In short, that's why there are no urban ethnic enclaves in Atlanta like there are in older urban centers.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
 
183 posts, read 65,135 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
let me say this, it's not just the chinatown, it's everything in general. atlanta lacks diverse neighborhoods.

So because the ethinic people spread themselves all over Atlanta and choose not to live amongst each other that makes Atlanta not diverse. Im not getting it
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,477 posts, read 6,503,847 times
Reputation: 3635
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
No, yours does. If they have those neighbrhoods then prove me wrong and show me pics of ANY of those neighbrhoods that I said they dont have. You are avoiding that question because you know those neighbrhoods DONT EXIST.

You know that I am right, which is the reason why you preceed to call me ignorant without posting any facts.

Yes, LA is diverse, it has many ehtnic neighborhoods.
Why are you so fixated on ethnic neighborhoods as a measure of how diverse a city is?

You aren't getting the big picture, so let me give you an example. Let's say tomorrow a city was built in a rural area and 500,000 people were sent to live there. The ethnic make up was 20% black, 20% white, 20% asian, 20% latino, 20% martian. Given your criteria for how diverse a city is, they were all told that all the blacks had to live in blacktown, all the whites had to live whitetown, all the asians had to live in asiantown, and all the martians had to live in martianville.

Would that same city be less diverse if those people told the planners to go eff themselves and lived where ever they felt like and didn't build any of those places? Under your rules they would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top