Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM

33 posts, read 220,716 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to marietta next October. We are married couple with no kid. I read about several area that should be avoided and makes me a bit worry. I'm trying to find affordable, nice and safe apartment home around marietta. Willing to commute 35 minutes or less. Price range around $600 to $700.
the office located in marietta pkwy. If anyone can give any advise such as area, apartment name, commute time, etc, I would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
In general, the higher the price within an area, the better the apartment is going to be. Anything in Marietta for $600-700/month is going to be in a pretty crummy area of town.

You could look at going a little further north and get more for your money. We rented an apartment in Woodstock while our house was being built, and I think their 1BR units were under $700/month. It's Brookemill on Hwy 92 off of 575. Your commute would likely be 30-40 minutes, depending on what time you go to/from work.

Bob

Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM

56 posts, read 63,515 times
Man, apartmentguide.com sucks! All the rental rates are wrong.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM

56 posts, read 63,515 times
So it's not realistic to expect to find a decent 2BR in a nice area in the $700's? Is there that big of an income gap in Atlanta? Do you only have wealthy and poor in Atlanta?? That sucks. I really want to live in Atlanta but no one wants to live around gangbangers and drug dealers. I could stay here in Memphis for that nonesense.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
In general, the higher the price within an area, the better the apartment is going to be. Anything in Marietta for $600-700/month is going to be in a pretty crummy area of town.

You could look at going a little further north and get more for your money. We rented an apartment in Woodstock while our house was being built, and I think their 1BR units were under $700/month. It's Brookemill on Hwy 92 off of 575. Your commute would likely be 30-40 minutes, depending on what time you go to/from work.

Bob
Thanks for your info.
I heard kennesaw/acworth, windy hills and vinings were a safe area. I wonder if I could find apartment in my price range overthere and how long gonna take to drive back to/from work to marrieta pkwy?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 AM

168 posts, read 637,212 times
North/South Marietta Parkway covers a large area. It is hard to say how long, if we don't know where on Marietta Parkway. You may need to adjust your thinking about how long to drive to work. Many people drive an hour. We live just 15 minutes from my husband's job. But by the time he retired, it was taking 45 minutes to get there. Woodstock is a decent place to live, and the drive, while slow, is not "bad" from Woodstock to Marietta.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
North/South Marietta Parkway covers a large area. It is hard to say how long, if we don't know where on Marietta Parkway. You may need to adjust your thinking about how long to drive to work. Many people drive an hour. We live just 15 minutes from my husband's job. But by the time he retired, it was taking 45 minutes to get there. Woodstock is a decent place to live, and the drive, while slow, is not "bad" from Woodstock to Marietta.
I am in marietta today for several days. I came from Texas. This area is beautiful. I like vinings. we plan to go to apartment hunting office to find the best place to live. Kennesaw also not too far from my office (cobbs parkway & marrieta pkwy). Smyrna by I-75 west may also a good alternative. woodstock little bit further north I guess. Any other suggestion? btw, thanks for all your responses. I am greatly appreciated!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 AM

168 posts, read 637,212 times
Default Go north on 41

You should be able to find a rental near your office, or northward up the 75, towards Town Center. Take the 75 Freeway to Barrett Parkway, and check out that area. There are lots of new apartments and condos just off Barrett, including west of Cobb Parkway (41). There's traffic around there, but it's a much nicer place to live than Smyrna. The farther east you go, the more you will pay.

If you drive north on Cobb Parkway (41), you will come to more affordable areas. 41 is crowded during rush hour, but not terrible. There's lots of convenient, new shopping up there too.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:40 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
Bob -

How about all those apt complexes on Franklin Rd.? I lived there 20-yrs ago, so can't comment, however it's right around the corner from his job & the rents were decent.

Has that area gone downhill? Are all those complexes still there?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by london1979 View Post
So it's not realistic to expect to find a decent 2BR in a nice area in the $700's?
That's a pretty low price for a 2BR in any sizable metro area. I was paying that for a 1BR 6-7 years ago in a 2nd-tier suburb of Minneapolis, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta