U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,091 times

Advertisements

Hey all! My husband and I plan on relocating to the Atlanta area in the next couple months. We are a mixed race couple and have a 3 year old daughter together and my husband also has a 12 year old son who would be living with us as well. I've done a ton of research on good schools, crime rates, mileage distance from atlanta city, etc., but I'm looking for some non-statistical information from locals. I'm currently considering a bunch of areas, including stone mountain, snellville/lilburn, loganville, marietta, suwannee, buford...

Here are my questions. First off, my step son has some behavioral issues (he has adhd and odd and possibly bipolar disorder) for which we were in the process of obtaining special ed services for him in his old school. Which top rated schools could best address his needs? also, which top rated high schools have the best football teams (my husband is very concerned with fostering his son's natural athletic talent, which would hopefully help him focus any negative energy in a positive place, lol)? Also, coming from NY, we wouldnt want to be anywhere too rural. Other information is as follows:

1. Budget- up to $350k for a home comfortably...
2. House/Condo/Townhome? One Family home, possible in law suite.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). I wouls work from home. My husband would commute, possibly to Atlanta metro area. We have to iron out the details of his new position.
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public school, top rated.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban is fine, definitely not too urban or too rural.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Could be helpful.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Doesnt matter as long as its safe.

Overall, we just want to find a good, safe area that has good schools where we can feel comfortable both as a mixed race family and as NY transplants. Any info you can provide will help, be honest! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,262,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltyassyn View Post
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). I wouls work from home. My husband would commute, possibly to Atlanta metro area. We have to iron out the details of his new position.
To get good advice... this is crucial and also very vague.

Marietta, Suwannee, and Lilburn have very different pros and cons as to where you are commuting to.

They are also all apart of the Atlanta metro area.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,803,698 times
The job first, because in the metro area, there are literally places that you can't get to from another place without spending a tremendous amount of time in a car. (And that is even without rush hour.)

Fulton County alone is 70 miles or so long. Figure out the job location, the rest will follow much more easily. The rest of your criteria can be worked around so your husband can have a decent commute.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

439 posts, read 697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltyassyn View Post
Hey all! My husband and I plan on relocating to the Atlanta area in the next couple months. We are a mixed race couple and have a 3 year old daughter together and my husband also has a 12 year old son who would be living with us as well. I've done a ton of research on good schools, crime rates, mileage distance from atlanta city, etc., but I'm looking for some non-statistical information from locals. I'm currently considering a bunch of areas, including stone mountain, snellville/lilburn, loganville, marietta, suwannee, buford...

Here are my questions. First off, my step son has some behavioral issues (he has adhd and odd and possibly bipolar disorder) for which we were in the process of obtaining special ed services for him in his old school. Which top rated schools could best address his needs? also, which top rated high schools have the best football teams (my husband is very concerned with fostering his son's natural athletic talent, which would hopefully help him focus any negative energy in a positive place, lol)? Also, coming from NY, we wouldnt want to be anywhere too rural. Other information is as follows:

1. Budget- up to $350k for a home comfortably...
2. House/Condo/Townhome? One Family home, possible in law suite.
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public school, top rated.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban is fine, definitely not too urban or too rural.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Could be helpful.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Doesnt matter as long as its safe.

Overall, we just want to find a good, safe area that has good schools where we can feel comfortable both as a mixed race family and as NY transplants. Any info you can provide will help, be honest! Thanks!
Before you seek advice from perfect strangers:

Jobs location may be a better indicative of future home location. When you say mixed race couple what do you mean? Do you look black, white, latino, hindu, asian? Atlanta is not as progressive as they portray to be and that may also determine the location of your home. Public schools are overall weak as some of them do not reflect the demographics of the rest of the country (children educated at Atlanta Public Schools are not educated to compete elsewhere, they get 'stuck'). Be cognizant of that.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM

3,957 posts, read 3,257,336 times
Try Peactree City or somewhere is Fayetteville or Fayette Co. On the south side of Atlanta. Excellent schools and great housing for family enviroment. Alot of Delta airline pilots live in the area.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,960,624 times
I would find out where your husband is working and try to find a place somewhat close to his job as commuting can be rough. Not sure how the public schools are accommodating or not for special needs kids.

A few counties with good public schools are: Cobb and Fayette, some others are good, just mentioning a few so you then can do more research and narrow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or