U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,416 times

Advertisements

How would you improve our road systems?

I would like to see I-75 diverted around the west-side of downtown starting around Moore's Mills Road, west of Clark Atlanta U., and reintegrated around the Langford Parkway intersection with a special access road to and from the airport (via I-85). The connector will become I-85 only with an optional I-75 exit/junction where it currently branches off. I feel this will ease up some of the traffic on the connector by:
- routing pass-thru traffic around downtown (for the ones who do not take 285 for one reason or another
- will create more on and off points for downtown workers,
- create another set of on/off ramps for I-20,
- and possibly vitalize some of the areas to the NW of downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,586,437 times
I've often thought about a "Big Split" project like Boston's big dig where we do what you said, keep I-75 and I-85 separate.

I wish I was living in Atlanta when in some meeting room somewhere people were saying things like, "Let's see, we have two major interstates, both huge thoroughfares, and they cut through our city. Hmmm, what should we do? I know! Let's join them into ONE BIG ROAD with a gigantic bottleneck instead of having two separate roads!!! What could possibly go wrong?????"

Idiots.

I'm sure it was a lot more complicated than that, but still, they should have been able to tell what would happen.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM

22,226 posts, read 16,266,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandan View Post
How would you improve our road systems?

I would like to see I-75 diverted around the west-side of downtown starting around Moore's Mills Road, west of Clark Atlanta U., and reintegrated around the Langford Parkway intersection with a special access road to and from the airport (via I-85). The connector will become I-85 only with an optional I-75 exit/junction where it currently branches off. I feel this will ease up some of the traffic on the connector by:
- routing pass-thru traffic around downtown (for the ones who do not take 285 for one reason or another
- will create more on and off points for downtown workers,
- create another set of on/off ramps for I-20,
- and possibly vitalize some of the areas to the NW of downtown
Building more roads only leads to more congestion and air pollution because people will change their driving habits to take advantage of the new lanes.
I would build a Commuter Rail system centered on Downtown Atlanta radiating in all directions:
NW to Cartersville with a transfer at Cumberland to a LRT around the Top-end-perimeter. Have a branch from Marietta to Canton on existing rail. Marietta become a major transfer point.
North can only be done by extending Red Line to Windward Pkwy, since no rail exist north.
NE from Gainesville with a transfer at Doraville for the Perimter LRT, Lenox, and Lindbergh Center Stations.
NE from downtown Atlanta to Tucker and Lawrenceville.
East to Stone Mountain, Lithonia, and Conyers. Transfer at Avondale to existing Blue Line.
West to Dougasville and Villa Rica. Transfer at H.E. Holmes to current Blue Line.
SW to Union City, transfer at College Park or East Point.
South to Jonesboro and Griffin, with transfer at College Park or East Point.
Expand current MARTA HRT to Alpharetta, Gwinnett, Marietta, and east I-20. Build LRT on the BeltLine, Clifton Corridor.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,294,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've often thought about a "Big Split" project like Boston's big dig where we do what you said, keep I-75 and I-85 separate.

I wish I was living in Atlanta when in some meeting room somewhere people were saying things like, "Let's see, we have two major interstates, both huge thoroughfares, and they cut through our city. Hmmm, what should we do? I know! Let's join them into ONE BIG ROAD with a gigantic bottleneck instead of having two separate roads!!! What could possibly go wrong?????"

Idiots.

I'm sure it was a lot more complicated than that, but still, they should have been able to tell what would happen.
The original plans assumed Northside Dr. to 75 would become a super-arterial into town and would later be reinforced as the city built up.

That is why the right of way and # of lanes is larger than the other typical streets through out town (ie 10th, 14th, Peachtree, etc...., which are narrow 4-lane streets). It is also why there is a partial cloverleaf at 75 (traffic going north just needs to yield on and off the freeway, rather than turn left across traffic). It is also why the Tech campus has a work around, Tech Pkwy, to keep traffic off the campus.

The original reason the Coke headquarters located where it is, because in the earlier days Northside Dr. and Ponce/North Ave were the major non-freeway routes into town.

It would do well to put in a median and create an access management, and ITS-traffic light linked for the Northside Dr. corridor.

The next plan originally called for US 78 being a freeway all the way into what is now freedom pkwy into downtown and GA 400 was suppose to continue south to I-675 and junction with freedom pkwy/US78. The land for the junction is now the Carter Center.

If this had been done... Downtown Atlanta would be a much more built up place and more wealth would have stayed there, rather than the northern linear growth we have now.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM

743 posts, read 654,682 times
You want to improve 75/85? Tear up the asphalt and connect it with the Chattahoochee. Hasn't Atlanta always needed a nice water feature?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 PM

727 posts, read 1,039,501 times
I say rather than "big dig" lets have a "big ditch" or "big trench" rebuild the connecter so that it is trenched below the ground leval at all times i midtown, add express lanes while you are at it. Then build a linear park with williams street as its eastern edge an georgia tech as its western edge. It would be a world class public space and a symbol for the city.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 AM

22,226 posts, read 16,266,402 times
Quote:
The original plans assumed Northside Dr. to 75 would become a super-arterial into town and would later be reinforced as the city built up.

That is why the right of way and # of lanes is larger than the other typical streets through out town (ie 10th, 14th, Peachtree, etc...., which are narrow 4-lane streets). It is also why there is a partial cloverleaf at 75 (traffic going north just needs to yield on and off the freeway, rather than turn left across traffic). It is also why the Tech campus has a work around, Tech Pkwy, to keep traffic off the campus.

The original reason the Coke headquarters located where it is, because in the earlier days Northside Dr. and Ponce/North Ave were the major non-freeway routes into town.

It would do well to put in a median and create an access management, and ITS-traffic light linked for the Northside Dr. corridor.

The next plan originally called for US 78 being a freeway all the way into what is now freedom pkwy into downtown and GA 400 was suppose to continue south to I-675 and junction with freedom pkwy/US78. The land for the junction is now the Carter Center.

If this had been done... Downtown Atlanta would be a much more built up place and more wealth would have stayed there, rather than the northern linear growth we have now.
The idea of upgrading Northside Drive to a major arterial road is great. I hate the reversible lanes in Buckhead.
But building the freeways to the east of Downtown would have destroyed that area. Those neighborhoods are now some of the wealthiest in the metro, Ansley Park, Midtown, Va-Hi, Moringside, Candler Park. It would have turned the eastside into a blighted area, much like Sweet Auburn. I think the downtown wealth is a trade-off for having vibrant, urban neighborhoods. All those freeways would have down is push people to the suburbs, while the neighborhoods destroyed by the freeways would be urban blight.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM

284 posts, read 457,952 times
Back in the day the connector through downtown was referred to some as "The Canyon" due to the high concrete walls. If we ever did entrench the midtown section (I will move to another city during that construction hell-- dealing with the 17th&14th st bridge build was bad enough when I was on 13th st!), it would be amazing if we could put some murals/live plants down those tall walls topped with linear parks as StAubin said.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM

727 posts, read 1,039,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Back in the day the connector through downtown was referred to some as "The Canyon" due to the high concrete walls. If we ever did entrench the midtown section (I will move to another city during that construction hell-- dealing with the 17th&14th st bridge build was bad enough when I was on 13th st!), it would be amazing if we could put some murals/live plants down those tall walls topped with linear parks as StAubin said.
Rather than beutify it with plants and murals I belive we should cap the connector itself, Similer to the big dig in boston.

As for construction, we would need to upgrade our transit system before we start to reduce the demand on the connecter. Also work around the clock to get it done because it would basically mean closing the entire connecter for a couple o months or even years.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 PM

155 posts, read 341,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
Rather than beutify it with plants and murals I belive we should cap the connector itself, Similer to the big dig in boston.

As for construction, we would need to upgrade our transit system before we start to reduce the demand on the connecter. Also work around the clock to get it done because it would basically mean closing the entire connecter for a couple o months or even years.

You should take a look at what Dallas is doing with Woodall Rodgers. It was a canyon'd expressway too, but now it has a park on top of it.

The Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or