U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,736,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
This is why people are choosing Birmingham over Atlanta. Look at all those jobs.
What are you talking about? Did I miss the joke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM

3,957 posts, read 3,259,176 times
Atlanta is expanding in other areas such as IT and Entertainment industry. Being the Hollywood of the south is a really good thing.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

In the past couple decades Georgia has managed to lure Kia and Hyundai Heavy Equipment (Daimler was perched to build in Savannah but last minute change due to bad economy) Meanwhile our neighbors have snagged operations from Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Volkswagen, Hyundai automotive, Kia, Nissan and now Airbus.
CAT is adding 1,000,000 SF of manufacturing capacity and well over a thousand jobs to Atlanta.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

28,141 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Alabama makes a strong case. The Atlanta area has languished for the last 15 years whereas our neighboring states have been very aggressive.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM

13,526 posts, read 29,479,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
This is why people are choosing Birmingham over Atlanta. Look at all those jobs.
They're aren't many jobs going to Birmingham lately.

As someone who lives near Mobile, I do wonder how many of these Airbus jobs will go to people from out of state. I remember when Thyssenkrupp opened a few years ago, they had loads of applications from people up in the rust belt states looking for work.

And, there are several factors going into why Airbus came to Mobile. They are going to be able to use existing runways at Brookley Field, and also the proximity of the port makes it easier for them to get goods from overseas.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,940,589 times
Alabama paid ~160M for the plant in incentives we know of. There may have been other draws as well. It's not cheap but likely less than we paid for the Kia plant where we wound up w/ a bunch of Alabamans getting the jobs.

GA has been exceedingly generous in incentives for firms locating here so I'm guessing AL went even deeper into the pockets of its taxpayers. It sounds to me like the Airbus payroll isn't excessively high ($61M/1,000 = 61k avg which means mostly assembly-line + supervisors) so there probably isn't a whole lot of engineering going on. More than likely the vast majority of the work is tariff busting assembly work meant to get Airbus bigger inroads in the US military space as well as w/ our commercial carriers.

We'll just have to corporate welfare our way to the next one.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
fzx

361 posts, read 359,794 times
I do think Alabama is making huge progresses in the past decade regarding its manufacturing appeals. However, the state has some fundamental issues. It is more conservative (in the case, not a good thing) than Georgia and have a worse political environment.

If we compain about the fairness of international terminal vendor awards, theirs are about huge debt taken on to bankrrupt a county and following curruption charges. Both of us have possible unconstitutional immigration laws in place but theirs is a step further. For example, if anyone provides transportation to illegal immigrants, he/she may violate the law.

I think this kind of soft issues will backfire if the state wants to provide a more balanced economy instead of single-mindedly propelling on the manufacturing front.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
It sounds to me like the Airbus payroll isn't excessively high ($61M/1,000 = 61k avg which means mostly assembly-line + supervisors) so there probably isn't a whole lot of engineering going on.
I am assuming you are a Doctor or Lawyer?
61k is a pretty good wage for this region of the country. It isn't 6 figures but a single person can do more then well on that anywhere in Alabama (and Georgia for that matter).

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM

22,170 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Quote:
I think this kind of soft issues will backfire if the state wants to provide a more balanced economy instead of single-mindedly propelling on the manufacturing front.
Not to mention their schools perform worse than ours. NASA has a reduced presence in Huntsville, the only tech-hub in the state.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 PM

13,129 posts, read 15,932,791 times
Y'all, Alabama and Georgia are two completely different places. Trust me, I have lived in both. Alabamans are nice people, but there is a huge gap in the quality of life and standard of living between here and there. Alabama has serious deficiencies in public education (both k12 and at the university level), the most upside down (regressive) tax system in the nation and truly bizarre political climate (corruption run amok). In fact, corruption is so ingrained in the culture of Alabama, I would be surprised if high level people in state government over there weren't getting personal kickbacks from these companies they are attracting. I don't think many people realize how poor and rural most of Alabama is, and how really well off Georgia is by comparison. Yeah, it would be great for Georgia to land something like Airbus. But we remain light years ahead of our neighbors in so many ways. They may close the gap a little and improve compared to their true peer states like Miss, Louisiana and Arkansas, but Alabama (especially Birmingham) won't be "catching up" to Atlanta anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or