U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It wouldn't be racist if the statistics actually show that correlation to be true, assuming your opinion is based purely on those statistics and not some other set of reasons.

Correlation is not causation, I realize, but sometimes patterns exist for legitimate reasons. It ain't because of genetics, usually, but because of economic/lifestyle trends within certain communities.
Caused by horrible policy decisions in the past. We need some historical context here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,896,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Caused by horrible policy decisions in the past. We need some historical context here.
Historical context where? Similar education patterns exist outside of the US as well. Do all of those places share this same generalize history you cite?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM

6,892 posts, read 9,589,236 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be racist if the statistics actually show that correlation to be true, assuming your opinion is based purely on those statistics and not some other set of reasons.

Correlation is not causation, I realize, but sometimes patterns exist for legitimate reasons. It ain't because of genetics, usually, but because of economic/lifestyle trends within certain communities.
My comment was totally in light of the banter with another poster, bringing up his views on another post involving Walton HS. Was using this to show him (or her) he was sort of contradicting himself in this post in light of that one. Of course he didn't see his stances as duplicitous.

Arguments on this site rarely sway anyone anyway. We just kind of blab our positions and the other just digs their heels in more firmly.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Historical context where? Similar education patterns exist outside of the US as well. Do all of those places share this same generalize history you cite?
I'm pretty sure we were talking about the U.S., not other countries. When you mention "economic/lifestyle trends within certain communities," it's not exactly lost on some of us what you're getting at (and I'm not riding you for mentioning it). So when we talk about historical context as far as that phenomenon goes in the U.S., we definitely have to talk about the legacy of school desegregation and busing.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,365 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we were talking about the U.S., not other countries. When you mention "economic/lifestyle trends within certain communities," it's not exactly lost on some of us what you're getting at (and I'm not riding you for mentioning it). So when we talk about historical context as far as that phenomenon goes in the U.S., we definitely have to talk about the legacy of school desegregation and busing.

The point is that black communities all around the world have huge issues outside the mainstream norm. So citing issues in the U.S. doesn't explain why only blacks have them.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My comment was totally in light of the banter with another poster, bringing up his views on another post involving Walton HS. Was using this to show him (or her) he was sort of contradicting himself in this post in light of that one. Of course he didn't see his stances as duplicitous.

Arguments on this site rarely sway anyone anyway. We just kind of blab our positions and the other just digs their heels in more firmly.
It is only contradicting and "duplicitous" if the premise is that I support going to a school because of race. As stated, I only care about test score.

Are YOU trying to imply something different? Make it clear please.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
The point is that black communities all around the world have huge issues outside the mainstream norm. So citing issues in the U.S. doesn't explain why only blacks have them.
The subject of the (sub)conversation was about public education in America (we're talking about Georgia and Alabama here, remember?), not an all-encompassing discussion about issues that plague the whole of the African diaspora which is SO far beyond the scope of this conversation. And each Black community has its own unique cultural contexts in which they are dealing with such situations. To assume that the specific reasons are the same because the melanin content is the same is significantly flawed to the nth degree--unless you're a classical racist.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-11-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The subject of the (sub)conversation was about public education in America (we're talking about Georgia and Alabama here, remember?), not an all-encompassing discussion about issues that plague the whole of the African diaspora which is SO far beyond the scope of this conversation. And each Black community has its own unique cultural contexts in which they are dealing with such situations. To assume that the reasons are the same because the melanin content is the same is significantly flawed to the nth degree.
Rcstiener was trying to figure out why. To him and many other whites it looks like there is always an excuse.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Rcstiener was trying to figure out why. To him and many other whites it looks like there is always an excuse.
He specifically mentioned cultural reasons. My point was that structural reasons precede cultural ones. Culture doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,896,261 times
Quote:
Not always, but I admit that it does sometimes look that way, at least to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or