U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,912,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My comment was totally in light of the banter with another poster, bringing up his views on another post involving Walton HS. Was using this to show him (or her) he was sort of contradicting himself in this post in light of that one. Of course he didn't see his stances as duplicitous.

Arguments on this site rarely sway anyone anyway. We just kind of blab our positions and the other just digs their heels in more firmly.
True. I was just responding to something that struck me as wrong, that's all.

Hopefully some of these threads will get people to consider other positions, too. Changing minds is too much to hope for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,082,100 times
I think Alabama only has the manufacturing sector of the companies - meaning the blue collar jobs, which don't require higher level of education. (I work in the industry so I know). Unfortunately, one of deciding factor that automotive companies pick certain places compares to the others includes how their blue collar workers can accept their cheaper compensation offer. (The cheaper they can pay their contributors, the better).
When I graduated from college in Atlanta (God gotta miss that late night snack in the Varsity! Nothing can go wrong with Onion rings and orange drink!), I found most of the jobs for my field are located NOT in Alabama. So here I am in Philadelphia.
Most of the engineers and the scientists are here, while some of the warehouses are in Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM

492 posts, read 600,350 times
Birmingham is a hotspot now like another poster said. Many people are opting there over ATL and the drinks are cheaper.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 PM

3,967 posts, read 3,261,725 times
Ya'll really make me laugh when you try to compare Birmingham or Charlotte to Atlanta. The only fair Southern cities comparisons for Atlanta would be Miami, Dallas, and Houston. Those are the cities with equal population and Economic strength for a Metropolitan area.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,125,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I think Alabama only has the manufacturing sector of the companies - meaning the blue collar jobs, which don't require higher level of education. (I work in the industry so I know). Unfortunately, one of deciding factor that automotive companies pick certain places compares to the others includes how their blue collar workers can accept their cheaper compensation offer. (The cheaper they can pay their contributors, the better).
If given the opportunity, not one state would turn those companies down, including PA.

Quote:
When I graduated from college in Atlanta (God gotta miss that late night snack in the Varsity! Nothing can go wrong with Onion rings and orange drink!),
A sophisticated palate I can tell. Graduated from GT?

Quote:
I found most of the jobs for my field are located NOT in Alabama. So here I am in Philadelphia. Most of the engineers and the scientists are here, while some of the warehouses are in Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia.
Careful though, they might outsource that stuff to India and China one day. Way cheaper and just as smart if not smarter.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,961,262 times
Quote:
When I graduated from college in Atlanta (God gotta miss that late night snack in the Varsity! Nothing can go wrong with Onion rings and orange drink!), I found most of the jobs for my field are located NOT in Alabama. So here I am in Philadelphia.
Most of the engineers and the scientists are here, while some of the warehouses are in Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia.
Alabama has received some good paying jobs from the federal government as well over recent years which would mostly employ a college-educated workforce. It is probably due to some of the same things above, lower pay, and cheap to build on land. I am sure the Alabama-based Representatives and Senators had a lot to do with the decision-making of federal jobs going to Alabama in various pork-barrel projects and such rather than some of those highly-coveted jobs going to other states in the South.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,528,521 times
The best educated workforce in Alabama are at UAB in Birmingham and NASA Marshall and Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. All government/public institutions. For a dark Red state Alabama sucks on the government teat a lot.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM

3,548 posts, read 2,310,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Birmingham is a hotspot now like another poster said. Many people are opting there over ATL and the drinks are cheaper.
Went to Birmingham once for a concert and was not a fan. Find it hard to believe this (not the drinks are cheaper part, I believe that).

I actually passed a house with a sign saying that they would pay someone to live there, lol.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,433,331 times
Quote:
Okay. Here's my rant in favor of American manufacturing #1000. The manufacturing jobs Alabama is landing are nothing to look down on. International giants the likes of Airbus, Mercedes, Honda, Kia and Hyundai have started significant operations there. Not to mention dozens more reputable supply companies that provide parts to those companies. Like another poster stated most States would love to have those kind of jobs. Yes it's true that manufactures do not pay as much as they used to but neither do a lot of other industries. Many people don't realize that many blue collar jobs are skilled high paying jobs. Working in manufacturing I know many blue collar workers that are very skilled and make more money than most office workers. Manufacturing pays more than most retail and service jobs that usually fill the void left by the decline of manufacturing in America.

It's largely because of this misinformed notion that all manufacturing and blue collar jobs are dirty, low paying, unskilled jobs that America has allowed manufacturing to slip away to other peer nations. Germany, Japan, and the Netherlands to name just a few have become economic powerhouses and benefited greatly when we allowed our steel, ship building, automotive, aerospace and other industries to be taken over by them. And it's had a crippling effect on our economy that we have been for years and will be for years more trying to get over.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Maybe when they have a 4m+ metro will they become a competitor. I don't see anyone having a desire to live in Birmingham...it's not a destination at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or