U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

13,514 posts, read 29,464,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
I do think Alabama is making huge progresses in the past decade regarding its manufacturing appeals. However, the state has some fundamental issues. It is more conservative (in the case, not a good thing) than Georgia and have a worse political environment.
Step outside of metro Atlanta and tell me if Georgia is any different. Also, "in this case", it surely didn't matter. Did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Y'all, Alabama and Georgia are two completely different places. Trust me, I have lived in both. Alabamans are nice people, but there is a huge gap in the quality of life and standard of living between here and there. Alabama has serious deficiencies in public education (both k12 and at the university level), the most upside down (regressive) tax system in the nation and truly bizarre political climate (corruption run amok). In fact, corruption is so ingrained in the culture of Alabama, I would be surprised if high level people in state government over there weren't getting personal kickbacks from these companies they are attracting. I don't think many people realize how poor and rural most of Alabama is, and how really well off Georgia is by comparison. Yeah, it would be great for Georgia to land something like Airbus. But we remain light years ahead of our neighbors in so many ways. They may close the gap a little and improve compared to their true peer states like Miss, Louisiana and Arkansas, but Alabama (especially Birmingham) won't be "catching up" to Atlanta anytime soon.
I lived in the Mobile area and It wan't "poor and rural". Alabama has plenty of good schools and people love the quality of life there compared to GA.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Step outside of metro Atlanta and tell me if Georgia is any different. Also, "in this case", it surely didn't matter. Did it?
Basically.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,875,568 times
I'm wondering what all these differences are as well. I've lived in both all my life and can say without a diubt there is very little difference between Alabama and Georgia. They are both dirt poor states deeply entrenched in poverty and backwards as it pertains to race, unions, education, hell pretty much everything that doesn't benefit a corporation. Alabama does have a regressive tax supystem, but I don't see how Georgia is any better, especially when you factor in the lottery which is by any definition is a tax on the poor. The mythos around Atlanta as the "city too busy to hate," is just that, a myth. The metro is just as sharply divided along racial lines as Birmingham. And I say that as someone who lived in Birmingham for ten years. Racial politics reign supreme just as it does there. And as the economic travails of Atlanta continue we will see more and more just how similar the two states are.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Alabama does have a regressive tax supystem, but I don't see how Georgia is any better, especially when you factor in the lottery which is by any definition is a tax on the poor.
So we should not have lotteries because poor people don't have enough will power not to play?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
So we should not have lotteries because poor people don't have enough will power not to play?
Have them or don't have them. Really it's pretty much irrelevant to me. Just don't try to hold yourself up as being more progressive than another state when your system is just as regressive as theirs. At least be honest about it. Georgia is a backwards holdover from another century, just as much as Alabama is. At least Alabama admits it. Georgia is so deep in denial it has crocodiles chomping at its crotch.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

369 posts, read 533,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm wondering what all these differences are as well. I've lived in both all my life and can say without a diubt there is very little difference between Alabama and Georgia. They are both dirt poor states deeply entrenched in poverty and backwards as it pertains to race, unions, education, hell pretty much everything that doesn't benefit a corporation. Alabama does have a regressive tax supystem, but I don't see how Georgia is any better, especially when you factor in the lottery which is by any definition is a tax on the poor. The mythos around Atlanta as the "city too busy to hate," is just that, a myth. The metro is just as sharply divided along racial lines as Birmingham. And I say that as someone who lived in Birmingham for ten years. Racial politics reign supreme just as it does there. And as the economic travails of Atlanta continue we will see more and more just how similar the two states are.
Please elaborate. What makes them "regressive"?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 2,306,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
This is why people are choosing Birmingham over Atlanta.
I'm sorry but your information is wrong, so wrong that I can't even fathom how you came up with that nonsense.

The ATL metro population increased 28% in the last 10 years, while Birmingham metro population only increased 22%.

Further, the city of Atlanta increased by 1% while the city of Birmingham declined by 12%.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Lotteries are regressive because the poor bear a disproportionate share of the tax burden. Even worse, they stand to lose more and gain less of the benefit. After all, who's more likely to gain entry to Georgia Tech on the Hope scholarship; the kid whose parents work slinging hash at Waffle House down in Clayton County, or the one whose parents are corporate executives out in East Cobb?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,115,736 times
Alabama's state government depends mostly on sales taxes than income taxes to raise revenue for its services. And even with the small amount of income taxes Alabama does raise, it disproportionately forces its poor to pay more of them than all other higher income brackets. Back in 1998 Alabama bore the unfortunate distinction of being the only state in the U.S. that would be heartless enough to levy an income tax on a family making the federal govt guideline poverty level salary as low as $4,600.

Former Alabama Governor Bob Riley in his first year in office tried to make the tax rate more progressive. But the constitutional amendment he proposed was defeated soundly at the ballot box with heavy opposition by surprisingly, the Alabama chapter of the Christian Coalition. I guess those folks conveniently forgot about Jesus Christ's extreme advocacy for the poor. DERP!

Even in 2011, according to a study conducted by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Alabama has been recognized as being the state that charges the most income taxes on a family of 4 making the federal govt poverty level salary of $23,018. States earning 2nd and 3rd place on that dreadful list is Hawaii followed by our very own lovely state Georgia.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3620

But to Hawaii's credit however, in exchange for those higher taxes its poor residents have a better access to education and social services from the state, factors that make life much more bearable. Can't say the same for Alabama, unfortunately.

Even deceased U.S. President Ronald Reagan considered the tactics of regressively punishing the poor with disproportionately higher taxes as ignorant and misguided.

Alabama is an all around total craphole of a state when it comes to its treatment of the poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post

Last edited by AcidSnake; 07-03-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or