Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Lotteries are regressive because the poor bear a disproportionate share of the tax burden. Even worse, they stand to lose more and gain less of the benefit. After all, who's more likely to gain entry to Georgia Tech on the Hope scholarship; the kid whose parents work slinging hash at Waffle House down in Clayton County, or the one whose parents are corporate executives out in East Cobb?

When did income have anything to do with college admissions? If anything poor people get more money for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm sorry but your information is wrong, so wrong that I can't even fathom how you came up with that nonsense.

The ATL metro population increased 28% in the last 10 years, while Birmingham metro population only increased 22%.

Further, the city of Atlanta increased by 1% while the city of Birmingham declined by 12%.
Wow, a woping 6% difference.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Please elaborate. What makes them "regressive"?
I have to agree with Roslyn. It has been studied and poorer people spend a higher percentage of their overall income on playing lottery. Someone who is richer doesn't need to play and when they do $1 or $2 to have fun with it is a smaller percentage of their overall income.

It is a voluntary tax, but that doesn't make it progressive or flat.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Wow, a woping 6% difference.
A 6% difference that makes the picture being painted of Birmingham out-competing us to be incorrect.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
When did income have anything to do worth college admissions? If anything poor people get more money for it.
I suspect you'll find at least a loose correlation between kids who go to college and parental income levels, ven when you factor in something like the Hope Scholarship. I suspect it has something to do with better role models, having someone to push them along, or having a loftier goals than just getting the heck out of a crappy neighborhood ... tho I've worked with a few people where just getting away from parents was enough.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM

I never knew why people from Georgia think Alabama is so backwards. Both states are equally as backwards.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
When did income have anything to do worth college admissions? If anything poor people get more money for it.
poor people as a whole group get less money from the Hope...

The middle and upper middle class get more money from the Hope, because they are socially better positioned to.

They have more money, more likely to be expected to go to college, more likely to go to a nicer high school with a higher rate of kids going to colleges, more likely to have parents who went to college, more likely to have the social/friend/family support to prepare the student for college,etc....

End results... People of all socio-economic levels can access Hope money -if- they go to college, but the rate at which people in different socio-economic levels move onto college or have the ability to do so is skewed.

Don't get me wrong I support the Hope scholarship. It is a boon for our universities, intellectual development locally, and translates to more money being attracted to our economy.

but.... we can't hide from the fact that it is a regressive, voluntary tax and the benefits also are regressive.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
we can't hide from the fact that it is a regressive, voluntary tax and the benefits also are regressive.
Is there any proof that being more progressive is better for a state's economy?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is there any proof that being more progressive is better for a state's economy?
Hmmm. Is the state's economy the only measuring stick we should be using?

Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
I lived in the Mobile area and It wan't "poor and rural". Alabama has plenty of good schools and people love the quality of life there compared to GA.
Quote:
I never knew why people from Georgia think Alabama is so backwards. Both states are equally as backwards.
We wish your name was "Onthemove2012" or "Onthemovenow" because as much as you're ready to leave Georgia, you can bet we are 10x more anxious to see you leave. Geez...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta