U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Atlanta's Best Days ahead of it?
Yes 40 63.49%
No 23 36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM

1,861 posts, read 1,814,271 times

Advertisements

In this day and time the majority of people over 35 avoid public transit no matter how nice it is. I think they think they're too good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,584,658 times
Like I've said before, I think Atlanta was a lot more fun on the upswing. Maybe the period from the early 80's through the Olympics and into the early aughts. I guess the climax would most definitely be considered the Olympics and the city should definitely be proud of getting to host them. I just don't think the city can top that time period for overall good vibes, at least not in my lifetime. The city did a disastrous job of planning and responding to the growth that occured from the mid 70's through the 00's. It will take a long time to catch up and it's not even a given that the transportation referendum will pass. If not, the city will be waiting even longer to catch up and a lot of folks and businesses will just throw their hands up in frustration and head to more progressive pastures.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
The city did a disastrous job of planning and responding to the growth that occured from the mid 70's through the 00's.
I assume you mean the metro counties did a poor job of responding to growth. The city of Atlanta proper didn't grow at all from the mid 70s though the 00's -- it actually shrank about 15%.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 AM

3,947 posts, read 3,249,793 times
Georgia States is reviving downtown, crime continues to drop. New construction of many new Apartments on Dekalb Avenue, where I live. In the past year several places to eat, coffee house, comedy club has open. Harold from Chicago opening a place off Edgewood. Atlanta future is bright because of young and older people who wants to live downtown. Heck my mom wants to leave her suburban home and move downtown. Plus the legal and accounting industry is very strong from Downtown to Midtown. A direct connect from the World Busiest Airport to Downtown. The final four 2013 will be in the city. Not to mention the Atlwood or the title of Hollywood of the south. CBS increasing media IT here, Bounce TV, and Aspire both new Atlanta Based network. Korean air starting A 380 service to Korea in Jan 2013. Atlanta's future is bright.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 AM

3,947 posts, read 3,249,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I assume you mean the metro counties did a poor job of responding to growth. The city of Atlanta proper didn't grow at all from the mid 70s though the 00's -- it actually shrank about 15%.
But people are moving back to the core city today, like me, and I love it.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
In this day and time the majority of people over 35 avoid public transit no matter how nice it is. I think they think they're too good.
In Atlanta maybe...but then again the public transit here sucks so I can't really blame em.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,478,644 times
I don't think there is a place on earth that has its best days ahead.

Over populated, environmental issues, terrorism, too many people in it for the nickel vs the well-being of humanity.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,113,545 times
In many ways I think the same. There are waaay too many people on this planet who are parochial-minded and think only for the self and for the short-term. Even on little things such as throwing items in the trash can people don't want to be bothered with.

I find myself frustrated that I have to pick up items on occasions off my front lawn because some folks wanted to be lazy jerks and feel that the whole world is their trash can.

If folks don't even want to be bothered with taking care of the little issues that will help this planet and help humanity continue to survive on it, how will us human beings ever have the capability of handling the big problems, like oil spills in the Arctic wildlife preserve?

Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I don't think there is a place on earth that has its best days ahead.

Over populated, environmental issues, terrorism, too many people in it for the nickel vs the well-being of humanity.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
In many ways I think the same. There are waaay too many people on this planet who are parochial-minded and think only for the self and for the short-term. Even on little things such as throwing items in the trash can people don't want to be bothered with.

I find myself frustrated that I have to pick up items on occasions off my front lawn because some folks wanted to be lazy jerks and feel that the whole world is their trash can.

If folks don't even want to be bothered with taking care of the little issues that will help this planet and help humanity continue to survive on it, how will us human beings ever have the capability of handling the big problems, like oil spills in the Arctic wildlife preserve?

Sigh...
Isn't that weird? I have to do the same thing several times a week! I have never thrown trash out of my car in my life and it's just bizarre to me that this is part of my regular routine. And it's not like I live in a depressed area. Smh

As for the originalquestion, I guess it depends on how you define "best times." From my point of view the best times in Atlanta were summers I spent over here during the 70s before the killings. For me Atlanta changed drastically after that. It went from being a fun place to hang out, go to the zoo, ride the bus to Rich's downtown where my cousin worked and eat the best doughnuts on earth and buy cool cups from Miss Bessie down the street to the "scary big city" where children weren't safe.

If you mean the crazy boom times of the 90s I don't think we as a country are going to see those times again, for a long time, possibly not for twenty years or more. This recession is going to be long and entrenched, much like Japan's "lost decade." So, I guess in that regard yes Atlanta's, and much of the country's best days are behind it, at least for my lifetime.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM

731 posts, read 644,725 times
nm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or