U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Atlanta's Best Days ahead of it?
Yes 40 63.49%
No 23 36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM

87 posts, read 163,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
The 80's, 90's, and early 2000's were Atlanta's heyday. I don't possibly see how things could ever get better than they were back then for that town. Now, Atlanta is constantly in drought, the COL is much higher, job market is worse, illegal immigrants have taken over parts of the metro, they lost the NHL for a SECOND time (like hockey or not, that was a huge embarrassment for a city of such stature), traffic only gets worse with each passing day, and what countryside that remains in north GA will eventually fall to Atlanta's progress.....not to mention Atlanta will always be near the top of the worst crime cities/metros in America. Sorry, but I am a dissenter here.
You have to be seriously un-educated about the previous history of Atlanta or delusional to think crime in Atlanta is awful. Atlanta was the murder capital in the late 79-82, off and on throughout the 80s, and in the early 90s. Less then 100 murders in the city last year. During that time, more than 40 housing projects that were hotbeds of crime have been practically destroyed. Atlanta crime continues to go down and compared to previous decades is heaven. Birmingham has more crime than Atlanta and you know how small b'ham is in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
The 80's, 90's, and early 2000's were Atlanta's heyday. I don't possibly see how things could ever get better than they were back then for that town. Now, Atlanta is constantly in drought, the COL is much higher, job market is worse, illegal immigrants have taken over parts of the metro, they lost the NHL for a SECOND time (like hockey or not, that was a huge embarrassment for a city of such stature), traffic only gets worse with each passing day, and what countryside that remains in north GA will eventually fall to Atlanta's progress.....not to mention Atlanta will always be near the top of the worst crime cities/metros in America. Sorry, but I am a dissenter here.
So you think loosing hockey is worse than a L.A. loosing a football team TWICE?Houston never had hockey.
Illegal immigrants?Do you think Atlanta has a worse problem than Houston,Dallas or even Miami?
Actually the job market has improved steadily since the crash a few years ago.
Please tell me what city where traffic has gotten BETTER as it has in the last 20 years like it has been reported that it has in Atlanta?
All the major cities are having about equal the amount of problems as Atlanta has.
Dissent all you want but I dont see what you have said is any different than most cities.

As some have said already.The Beltline continues to happen as we speak.New Parks ,Paths and a streetcar that will be ready in late 2013 sounds like progress.

An unemployment rate that was almost 11% a few years ago is just at 8.6% now.
There is new construction for new hotels in downtown,midtown and Buckhead
Many companies like NCR are still moving here like NCR.
The same can be said for that people are moving in by far than those moving out.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Quote:
Isn't that weird? I have to do the same thing several times a week! I have never thrown trash out of my car in my life and it's just bizarre to me that this is part of my regular routine. And it's not like I live in a depressed area. Smh

As for the originalquestion, I guess it depends on how you define "best times." From my point of view the best times in Atlanta were summers I spent over here during the 70s before the killings. For me Atlanta changed drastically after that. It went from being a fun place to hang out, go to the zoo, ride the bus to Rich's downtown where my cousin worked and eat the best doughnuts on earth and buy cool cups from Miss Bessie down the street to the "scary big city" where children weren't safe.

If you mean the crazy boom times of the 90s I don't think we as a country are going to see those times again, for a long time, possibly not for twenty years or more. This recession is going to be long and entrenched, much like Japan's "lost decade." So, I guess in that regard yes Atlanta's, and much of the country's best days are behind it, at least for my lifetime.
OMG!!I thought I was the crazy one.I too have witness so many people just casually throw crap out of their car!!We are not only talking about "ghetto" types but presumably educated people too.That is my biggest pet peeve.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Somewhat of a contradictory statement...if Atlanta is in such decline, why would north Georgia fall to its 'progress'?
PS I have yet to show my face in public over the hockey debacle.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Atlanta has clearly been in a period of severe decline for the past dozen years.

That doesn't mean we can pull out of it, but we won't be able to do so without taking action.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Somewhat of a contradictory statement...if Atlanta is in such decline, why would north Georgia fall to its 'progress'?
PS I have yet to show my face in public over the hockey debacle.
southerners (and many east-coasters too) don't play hockey, it's a northern sport. it was bizarre for us to have a professional ice hockey team in the first place. i don't think anybody noticed them when they left!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,526,617 times
Atlanta is still ranked as one of the top 10 cities in the US for jobs and college grads. It still has a comparatively low cost of living, experiences population gains every year, has a number of exciting new downtown attractions planned to lure in even more tourism dollars, and is fast gaining traction as a hot location for movie shoots. What is there not to be optimistic about?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta has clearly been in a period of severe decline for the past dozen years.

That doesn't mean we can pull out of it, but we won't be able to do so without taking action.
I dont agree.how has Atlanta been in serious decline in the past dozen years?
Since 2000 the following has happened:
-Population grew among the 2ndfastest in the nation
-At least 4 major companies moved headquarters here
-We hosted a Superbowl,ty budget
-Atlantic Station
-The Beltline( including things like the Fourth Ward Park)
-A street car currently being built
-The city credit rating has been ugraded.The City has a $117 million surplus at a time when many cities and counties around metro Atlanta face budget gaps.
-The Midtown Mile is a reality
-2013 Final Four
-City stature has risen in world rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or