U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

95 posts, read 154,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why all the focus on downtown? Atlanta has seen its greatest success In the decades after downtown ceased being the central business district. It's still a cool place in many ways but why is it more critical than any other part of Atlanta?
If you want to call it a real city, yeah...otherwise you should just start calling it "north Georgia"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,971,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
If you want to call it a real city, yeah...otherwise you should just start calling it "north Georgia"
The Atlanta metro is far more complex than a central city surrounded by bedroom communities. It's becoming a series of business centers (central and satellites) surrounded by bedroom communities.

What is a "real city"...? And why does that matter?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM

95 posts, read 154,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Atlanta metro is far more complex than a central city surrounded by bedroom communities. It's becoming a series of business centers (central and satellites) surrounded by bedroom communities.
Cool, do you enjoy those business centers? Does that make you happy? That's great for you! Not my cup of tea though.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM

28,239 posts, read 24,848,666 times
Quote:
Cool, do you enjoy those business centers? Does that make you happy? That's great for you! Not my cup of tea though.
That's what cities are all about -- choice.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,971,563 times
Quote:
I work in the Cumberland area, as does my wife, so yes. We derive direct benefit from one of them.

Didn't have much choice, really. That's where our employers chose to locate. Whether or not it's "my cup of tea" is a complete nonissue.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 16,321,109 times
Atlanta has many edge cities. Cumberland, Perimeter are the major centers. Alpharetta & Peachtree Corners are minor but have a concentration of high paying jobs. These cities were created because of our traffic. Employers want to be 45 minute commute from a majority of their target employees.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Many companies have cited traffic as a reason not locate here. It's no secret.
Which ones? Please give me specific examples of major companies that considered Atlanta but went to Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, etc...and made it clear that traffic or other transportation issues were a major part of their decision. Just because a company doesn't choose Atlanta doesn't mean that traffic was the reason.

I'm open to being educated and am not saying it hasn't happened, but I'm not aware of any, and I keep hearing this mantra. So please give me some specific examples where the perceived transportation issues in Atlanta were key criteria for a company not relocating here.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,493,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Which ones? Please give me specific examples of major companies that considered Atlanta but went to Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, etc...and made it clear that traffic or other transportation issues were a major part of their decision. Just because a company doesn't choose Atlanta doesn't mean that traffic was the reason.

I'm open to being educated and am not saying it hasn't happened, but I'm not aware of any, and I keep hearing this mantra. So please give me some specific examples where the perceived transportation issues in Atlanta were key criteria for a company not relocating here.
Chiquita.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM

22,284 posts, read 16,321,109 times
Quote:
All 3 of cities have nearly 0 transit. Charlotte has 1 LRT line, Nashville has 1 commuter rail line, and Birmingham has a joke of a bus system.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Chiquita.
Care to provide more substantial (and substantiated) details that support your claim? All I can find is that in 2005, they contemplated a move to either Atlanta, South Florida, or possibly Charlotte, and they chose to do nothing and stay put in Ohio.

Nowhere was a mention that the decision was based on transportation concerns, and even if there were those concerns for Atlanta, why didn't they move to Charlotte or some other supposed paradise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or