U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 AM

369 posts, read 533,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well the Clifton Corridor is 8.8 miles of light rail (comparable to the distance of Charlotte's line), and tax funds that, plus the ~$700m for Cobb transit plus ~$550m for the beltline, and the first elements of the Red line expansion, plus all the road improvements etc.

I agree that it doesn't focus enough on transit, but not that we are not getting our money's worth out of the tax. One of the problems is that the transit option to Cobb has to be half-assed with the money available so rail is out. With Atlanta's sprawl it just requires much more money to expand the transit system adequately.
What is the money for a red line expansion? Is it just a study? It's a shame about the Cobb line, but I don't think it's too late for it to be rail the last time I read. I really think that is the most important rail line but I'm anticipating the Clifton corridor line, it sort of came out of left field for me and a pleasant surprise. Although it wont be heavy rail unfortunately, the ligh-rail goes a further distance and at least its not BRT. It will be cool to see this go through Emory and further urbanize the Lindbergh area
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

22,193 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
It is set up to fail because it was poorly conceived and doesn't meet the wants/needs of the region.
Did you attend any of the meetings, give suggestions, participate in anyway that you have a right to claim this? There were several townhall style meetings in every city and/or county that all voters had the opportunity to attend. You local Cobb County representatives are the ones that came up with your counties list, if you want someone to blame, then blame them.
Quote:
What is the money for a red line expansion? Is it just a study?
More planning, design, and ROW acquisition. If federal funds get matched then maybe construction can start.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM

28,160 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Did you attend any of the meetings, give suggestions, participate in anyway that you have a right to claim this? There were several townhall style meetings in every city and/or county that all voters had the opportunity to attend.
No question about that. There was an immense outreach effort during the year long process of developing the project list. No offense to anyone, but frankly, if you didn't participate must have been on another planet or simply asleep at the switch.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No question about that. There was an immense outreach effort during the year long process of developing the project list. No offense to anyone, but frankly, if you didn't participate must have been on another planet or simply asleep at the switch.
Exactly, its like not voting, then complaining about the elected politicians. The list was very transparent, the public was allowed to voice its concerns to the round table officials and give ideas. In the end the end the round table officials picked the list on what would benefit their constituents better. The BeltLine had to be added for any chance of it passing in the City of Atlanta, just as the Sugarloaf extension and 285/85 interchange had to be included for any chance of it passing in Gwinnett.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,878,862 times
I agree that thi tax is regressive as salestaxes generally are. They are also less stable and more vulnerable to recession. However they seem to be the only taxes his region is willing to consider. I fear this mindset will be our doom, with or without the TPLOST. I will vote for it even though I find the regressive nature ofit disgusting, however the cost of doing nothing is even greater.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,878,862 times
Oh and those "Untie" billboards are an epic fail. Nobody knows what they're about, and most aren't interested enough to find out.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Who is the competition and what are they doing?
Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Miami, and DC.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
JPD

11,877 posts, read 14,494,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Oh and those "Untie" billboards are an epic fail. Nobody knows what they're about, and most aren't interested enough to find out.
Agreed. Terrible ad campaign. Better slogan: "Vote yes and let the tourists chip in. Vote no and pay the whole bill yourself."

Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM

4,147 posts, read 5,747,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Agreed. Terrible ad campaign. Better slogan: "Vote yes and let the tourists chip in. Vote no and pay the whole bill yourself."

I visited someone home with Comcast yesterday and I noticed, they have area specific ads for your local county on their system.

The overall ads still suck though. Boring and ineffective imho.

Why no ads with elected officials talking about the importance of the tax?

Last edited by PKCorey; 07-05-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Noticed adds on MARTA, in the station, trains, and buses that talk about the TIA. It specifies the counties involved and the projects relevant to MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or