U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM

2,677 posts, read 5,078,079 times

Advertisements

Yep, not to mention the hundreds of millions being invested in City Hall East, several new highrises going up in Midtown etc. Anyone that was in midtown for the race probably noticed many new businesses either open or getting ready to open along peachtree.

The Beltline is happening and is visable already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The BeltLine will be the biggest urban development project ever in the city. It will forever change the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM

28,153 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The BeltLine will be the biggest urban development project ever in the city. It will forever change the city.
If the TSPLOST doesn't pass, does anyone have any estimates as to when the transit portion of the Beltline would be built? Before the TIA came along weren't they were talking about this being several decades down the road?

It would be cool if you could get 10 of the city's well to do types to stroke a check for $50 million each.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 PM

14,478 posts, read 7,126,825 times
I am still trying to decide whether or not I want to vote for the TSPLOST. I started off against it due to it being a tax and I feel our sales tax is high enough already (I live in the city) but I would consider paying a tax if that money is actually going to do something to improve traffic here, even though I am not all that affected by our traffic woes anymore.

I read over the final report with the list of items approved. I want to know is there a site I can go to in order to see the schedule, like when each project is supposed to happen. I honestly will not vote for this if they do not have a construction schedule set up. I know there are supposed to be improvements made to 2 major arterial roads near my house Hollowell and Lowery but I would like to know when that is supposed to occur. I haven't been able to find any construction schedule (my work actually involves working in construction and creating construction schedules for the government so I know that they usually make schedules at least 12 months before beginning projects, most of the time there is a preliminary schedule before that).

I am worried we are going to pass this tax and then only certain things will get done. I am willing to look past the fact that more rail is not funded the way I would like it to be, I would like to see more public transportation in this plan, a train to Gwinnet would especially be appealing to me even though I don't live there but I have family out that way and it would be wonderful if I didn't have to drive up there every few months and get stuck in traffic on Sunday.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,746,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I read over the final report with the list of items approved. I want to know is there a site I can go to in order to see the schedule, like when each project is supposed to happen. I honestly will not vote for this if they do not have a construction schedule set up. I know there are supposed to be improvements made to 2 major arterial roads near my house Hollowell and Lowery but I would like to know when that is supposed to occur. I haven't been able to find any construction schedule (my work actually involves working in construction and creating construction schedules for the government so I know that they usually make schedules at least 12 months before beginning projects, most of the time there is a preliminary schedule before that).
Untie Atlanta

Click Interactive Project Map.

Plans are broken down into 4 segments, 2013-2015, 2016-2019, 2020-2022 and unknown.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,273,490 times
Answer: yes and no....

They can't set up precise construction examples. Many of the projects depend on typical federal funding equations. (Most major projects country-wide are assisted through the federal transit administration of the federal highway administration, etc...), but in order to get the money you have to do the federally mandated impact studies to show the projects worthiness. Some projects have these complete and some don't. They still have to compete for money. Luckily the congress just signed the highway transportation bill ensuring federal funds to the states for the next couple years and we have a general idea how the federal gov't works and how they hand our the money (it is really formulaic). So... there is a high change of success.

Most projects will be built in 10 years... a few might take a few more years.

Some projects haven't been designed, but the are funded for complete rebuilds. The GA400/285 interchange is one. No one has designed it yet, but the money for a whole new interchange is there. This will take 10 years, because in any of these major projects the research/design phase (even when a project is full funded and being fast tracked) takes 4-6 years. (the public normally doesn't realize this, because they don't see or notice the project was being planned until they hear about upcoming construction) We also have some projects that are close to ready to go and have been forgotten and neglected for some time... alot of the Atlanta city core street upgrades are basic resurfacing and new timed traffic lights with more advanced systems.

However, there is something to help you out. They have a schedule of when projects will be funded.

http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf

The timeline starts on page 182, but something I want to make clear. Some of the biggest projects are at the end. It doesn't mean they are more in risk of being unfunded. It means they need more money and more time to be prepared to be built. The bigger a project is... the longer the engineering takes and the longer it takes to get federal money.

Big projects like a complete interchange reconstruction and a new LRT line will take 10 years to get into place, whereas small street widening projects that don't need federal funding matches or much engineering will be fast-tracked and built up front.

Quote:
I am still trying to decide whether or not I want to vote for the TSPLOST. I started off against it due to it being a tax and I feel our sales tax is high enough already (I live in the city) but I would consider paying a tax if that money is actually going to do something to improve traffic here, even though I am not all that affected by our traffic woes anymore.

I am worried we are going to pass this tax and then only certain things will get done. I am willing to look past the fact that more rail is not funded the way I would like it to be, I would like to see more public transportation in this plan, a train to Gwinnet would especially be appealing to me even though I don't live there but I have family out that way and it would be wonderful if I didn't have to drive up there every few months and get stuck in traffic on Sunday.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,273,490 times
quick answer:

Howell Mill and Lowery are in the 2013-2015 group with more road corridor projects.

Quote:

Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,132,421 times
Quote:
That's the issue many folks are debating- the T-SPLOST was originally meant to be spent on projects that would mitigate congestion, and it's still being touted as such in the advertising. If you look at the actual projects on the list and some of the ways money is being allocated, many of the projects and line items will do nothing to "Un-tie Atlanta".

1. The transit lines are budgeted not only for construction costs, but also for 10 years of operations and maintenance costs. The T-SPLOST was supposed to be for construction- not operations and maintenance. If these projects can't cover their operating and maintenance costs now, what happens when the funding runs out- how will their operations/maintenance be funded?

2. The Beltline is getting significant funding from the T-SPLOST. While I think the Beltline is a great project, the money that it's receiving is basically an economic development grant- not a means of mitigating congestion, which again, was the intent of the T-SPLOST. Projects funded by the T-SPLOST were also to have "regional impact" on congestion- the Beltline will have regional impact economically, but does nothing to mitigate traffic regionally, so why is it being funded by the T-SPLOST?

3. MARTA is getting millions for escalator upgrades and other maintenance items that they should have budgeted for. Again, these projects will not relieve congestion, and therefore don't meet the original intent of the T-SPLOST.

I think there are plenty of people who support the intent of the T-SPLOST, but don't feel that the project list will do enough to alleviate congestion based on the amount of money being spent.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM

7,707 posts, read 9,556,156 times
Bob, you said it really well.

I wouldn't have as big of a problem with the T-SPLOST if it really did a lot to help with traffic. If it funded the beginnings of rail to Gwinnett, instead of just A FREAKING NOTHER study to look at it.

T-SPLOST is a bailout. It's to bail out all the officials who should have been budgeting for all of this stuff but didn't. Now they are saying, "Whoops, we dropped the ball on this....how about you just tax yourselves? Oh, and then give the money to US and we promise we'll be better stewards of it this time!"

T-SPLOST is everybody in Atlanta paying more in taxes so doctors at Emory and researchers at the CDC can have an easier time getting to work some day and so that people who purchased in urban pioneering neighborhoods near the beltline have a better shot at seeing their investments pay off. That's the real reason they are for it, they don't care about transportation, they just want to see something that will increase their property values.

The beltline is just a bunch of parks. Ok, fine, it seems cool...but unless you put some kind of rail all around it like the big picture calls for, what is it going to really do? Just make it so you can ride a bike around an inner perimeter? Hey, it's a neat idea, but taxing a multi-county regional area to fund it is completely inappropriate.

Maybe, MAYBE some of the T-SPLOST money will help with some traffic in some places. But it's not like there are any huge projects here. It's not going to turn the connector from 16 lanes to 32. It's not going to make Peachtree Street limited access through Buckhead and hell, it's not even going to get rid of the frigging toll on 400!

It's just a bailout to try to make our officials less accountable for what they haven't been able to achieve and to try to benefit a small amount of the population.

I think that the major road projects on T-SPLOST are going to happen regardless of whether or not this tax passes. Projects like the beltline and MARTA expansion to Emory will just have to be funded by the people who will benefit from it instead of everybody. If Fulton or Dekalb counties want to try to make their own T-SPLOST when this fails, they can go nuts. Maybe Gwinnett and Cobb can enact their own to get their own mass transit rolling. SPLOSTs have done extremely well in Gwinnett to fund the award winning park system and schools, but T-SPLOST taxes the many and benefits the few.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,183,819 times
NO. Nuff said.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 PM

22,181 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Wtf is everyone's issues with tolls here. Everyother metro has tolls. Any new freeways built will be tolled. The BeltLine will ease congestion in midtown on 10th street, ponce, GA Tech, and crosstown travel . Sounds like traffic congestion reduction to me.
The simple road projects will be completed first so people can see results for their investments. The Clifton Corridor will be the first transit project completed since most design projects are done. Their currently shooting aerial imagery of the route for complete elevation measurements. The BeltLine also has many designore projects completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or