U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM

7,750 posts, read 9,630,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wtf is everyone's issues with tolls here. Everyother metro has tolls
Oh, they do not.

Nashville has no tolls. Charlotte has no tolls. Miami has no tolls (except for the turnpike, which is only used to get out of Miami, not to get around it).

But whether we have a toll is not the point. If GA 400 was expanded as a toll road, that would be fine. But the toll was only allowed because it was to fund the construction and once that was paid for it was to go away. Guess what? It's been paid for. So now they say they charge a toll to maintain it. But that was never part of the original agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,514,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Oh, they do not.

Nashville has no tolls. Charlotte has no tolls. Miami has no tolls (except for the turnpike, which is only used to get out of Miami, not to get around it).

But whether we have a toll is not the point. If GA 400 was expanded as a toll road, that would be fine. But the toll was only allowed because it was to fund the construction and once that was paid for it was to go away. Guess what? It's been paid for. So now they say they charge a toll to maintain it. But that was never part of the original agreement.
That toll has nothing to do with the transportation referendum. The Transportation Investment Act specifically states that the tax will expire after 10 years or after $8.5 billion in revenues is reached - whichever comes first. There has to be another roundtable process and a referendum for the tax to be renewed.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,373,686 times
Quote:
Miami has no tolls (except for the turnpike, which is only used to get out of Miami, not to get around it).
Don Shula Expressway, HOT Lanes on I-95 and Palmetto Expressway. Nashville and Charlotte aren't even in our league, compare them to Birmingham. Tolls are a way to bring in money and make the users pay for maintenance of the road, what's better than that? Its a consumer fee.
Quote:
But the toll was only allowed because it was to fund the construction and once that was paid for it was to go away. Guess what? It's been paid for. So now they say they charge a toll to maintain it. But that was never part of the original agreement.
They said the same thing about Florida's Turnpike, but they lied. Blame the republican governor, Sonny Purdue.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM

I don't care who to blame, the point is, governments lie about tax revenue and what will be done with it.

That's not even the issue, though.

The Beltline is a series of parks with sidewalks that people can walk and bike along. Even the most grandiose plane for it only has some kind of lame trolley or street car for it, not actual rail. I don't understand how you think this will do a thing to ease traffic congestion.

I'm not saying the beltline isn't a cool idea and it won't be neat, but come on, it's not going to do anything to cut down on the amount of cars on the road.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,373,686 times
Quote:
The Beltline is a series of parks with sidewalks that people can walk and bike along. Even the most grandiose plane for it only has some kind of lame trolley or street car for it, not actual rail. I don't understand how you think this will do a thing to ease traffic congestion.

I'm not saying the beltline isn't a cool idea and it won't be neat, but come on, it's not going to do anything to cut down on the amount of cars on the road.
Hate to tell you, but Streetcar and LRT is rail-based transit. They do very well in other cities, eg: Portland, San Fransisco, LA, Boston, Philly, and all over Europe. The BeltLine will ease congestion on north-south routes, eg: Monore-Boulevard, Piedmont. And along east-west road, eg: 10th, 5th, Ponce, North Ave, DeKalb, Edgewood. It will ferry students to the 2nd and 3rd largest colleges in the state, GSU and GT. It will allow people without cars in westside and SWAT the availibilty to jobs in downtown, midtown, and beyond with connections to current MARTA stations, Peachtree, North Ave or Midtown.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM

47 posts, read 31,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I don't have cable, so all I've seen is a billboard on Peachtree Industrial that says "Untie DeKalb." Or as my son says "Unite Dekalb." i was at a barbecue yesterday and I was the only one there who knew what they were talking about, I was the only one who even knew there was going to be an election. That doesn't bodewell at all. I wasn't the best representative for it. I'm fairly well versed on the part that pertainsto Dekalb, but otherwise I was hopeless. I'm afraidpretty much everyone was opposed to the notion of giving any more money to the politicians around here.
They were black folk right?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM

I respectfully disagree that a beltline streetcar will reduce traffic congestion in any kind of meaningful way.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,495,016 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree that a beltline streetcar will reduce traffic congestion in any kind of meaningful way.
You stated yourself that you don't like walking for more then 2 minutes. So you may not get how others would.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,889,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
They were black folk right?
Nope, diverse, black, white and Latino.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM

6,462 posts, read 7,323,875 times
Quote:
Even the most grandiose plane for it only has some kind of lame trolley or street car for it, not actual rail. I don't understand how you think this will do a thing to ease traffic congestion.

Two things:

first I'm confused... a streetcar or LRT is -actual rail-. The Beltline itself is mostly grade separated, so whatever is put in place will run efficiently and fast.

The part that is a streetcar is that final mile into town (downtown or midtown) from the Beltline corridor. It will be in the street and won't be grade separated, however in most cases this will still be quicker than taking the Beltline to a MARTA station and transfer... It gives people a transfer free option.

As far as fixing traffic... it does ... and doesn't

Too many people on here are blurring the relationship between growth and traffic in the wrong ways.

It won't directly make our existing traffic conditions any better.

What it will do is keep our traffic from -getting worse- as we continue to grow. in 30-40 years we are predicted to have over 8 million people in the region. The Beltline provides a place for people to move to without putting more strain on the roads, so it is actually helping traffic.... in the future.

The reason it needs to be built though is the development it attracts usually only occurs when the area gets attention... It is very dense, so people typically want upgraded transit and parks to make living in the area nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or