U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM

28,186 posts, read 24,748,296 times

Advertisements

Karole Lloyd, the managing partner of Ernst & Young, has an editorial in today's Atlanta Business Chronicle about how the TSPLOST is critical to metro Atlanta being competitive with other major cities. That's really a key issue in my opinion.

There is no standing still in this world -- you either keep up or you fall behind. Unfortunately we've been stagnating for the last 15 years while our competition has blasted ahead. This may well be our last opportunity to get back in the game. It would sure be tragic to see us squander the advantages we've built up over the past century.

However, you don't get to be in the top tier of anything unless you're willing to work for it.

Quote:
The upcoming transportation referendum, also known as the TSPLOST, is a critical opportunity for metro Atlantans to make our voices heard, to show that they are so frustrated with the traffic problem that they want to take action. This vote is critical for the business community, especially at a time when our metro area is growing and we are trying to attract new employees and companies. With this growth, comes the responsibility to improve our region’s infrastructure to keep metro Atlanta competitive with other major U.S. cities.

This vote will allow for major investments in our region’s transportation infrastructure that will help create and support jobs, reduce traffic delays and help us get around more quickly — so we can be more productive at work and spend more time at home. This investment over the next 10 years, funded through a one-cent sales tax, will be the largest investment in our area since the Olympics.

Why the TSPLOST is important for Atlanta?s business community - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
We have to institute an extra penny sales tax to be competitive with cities who never had to pony up an extra penny to fund their transportation?

Hmmm, what are we doing wrong?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM

28,186 posts, read 24,748,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
We have to institute an extra penny sales tax to be competitive with cities who never had to pony up an extra penny to fund their transportation?

Well, for one thing we have a very low gas tax. That's a primary source of transportation funding that other places have that we don't.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,109,128 times
I'll tell you who's behind this BS and all the astroturf campaigns to pass this tax.

All the corporations that stand to gain from the road building and the expanded road capacity.

Just happened to pass by Catapillar's L-ville facility today, the whole front of their building was covered in "untie atlanta" yard signs.

This is not about you and me and working people. This is about more roadbuilding on the backs of the lowest income citizens. Unacceptable. I will vote HELL NO to this unfair tax!!!

Corporations need to GET OUT and STAY OUT of our politics!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,285,724 times
Quote:

Low levels of taxation for spending in transportation elsewhere. (you'll get a picture of why Republicans like Sales taxes in the link I sent you in another thread)

Particularly the gas tax!!

Outside that the other problem is just that we grew fast and we never built out an original cohesive arterial or freeway system.

(im not advocating that we should build a freeway through Virginia Highlands anymore)... but I think it is important to point out we limited ourselves to single corridors and forced businesses to move around the city, rather than in it. Most have gone north to try to stay closer to the more attractive employee sheds.

Then places like Dekalb. Co didn't develop a cohesive arterial road network at all when they first became a developed suburb.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,616,072 times
I'm in favor of infrastructure improvement and have no problem paying increased gas tax or even a sales tax increase. However, this collection of projects does not act to improve congestion in an efficient way. It is being pimped by the businesses as a economic development tax which is fine if that is what it is supposed to be. I understand the need for that, but the way it is being promoted and presented to the public is that it is a traffic/mobility tax, which it clearly isn't. If it really were about mobility and transportation improvements, they wouldn't be pumping $500+ million into deferred MARTA maintenance. Just think how much could be done with an additional $500 million going to REAL traffic issues and not building MARTA new escalators among other problems caused by mismanagement of MARTA. How much good could be done by using the $700 million for the Clifton Corridor on projects that would impact more than the 5,300 new riders that $700 million caters to?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,573,524 times
In one of our other threads, people are talking about what a regressive tax the lottery is.

At least that tax is voluntary.

A T-SPLOST tax would be HUGELY REGRESSIVE and involuntary.

If you need funds, at least have the guts to tax gas, then you're taxing the people who will benefit, or at least taxing people who are adding to the problem. Sales tax is a regressive tax that penalizes everybody, particularly poor people who have to buy things and don't have the means to go buy them in Forsyth county or use the internet to buy their big ticket items.

I just don't get how you can condone letting the stupid politicians slide and issuing yourselves this enormous bailout. That's what it is, a BAILOUT for failed policies!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,821,122 times
I for one don't think increasing the gas tax will do much. I certainly won't be paying any taxes to that to get around then because I wouldn't be using a car. If Atlanta wants to mkve forward they need to start moving to get alternatives to cars to be desirable. Id go so far as say make it undesirable to use a car. Some peolle cling to them.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM

3,749 posts, read 2,359,377 times
Quote:
In one of our other threads, people are talking about what a regressive tax the lottery is.

At least that tax is voluntary.

A T-SPLOST tax would be HUGELY REGRESSIVE and involuntary.

If you need funds, at least have the guts to tax gas, then you're taxing the people who will benefit, or at least taxing people who are adding to the problem. Sales tax is a regressive tax that penalizes everybody, particularly poor people who have to buy things and don't have the means to go buy them in Forsyth county or use the internet to buy their big ticket items.

I just don't get how you can condone letting the stupid politicians slide and issuing yourselves this enormous bailout. That's what it is, a BAILOUT for failed policies!
It's what we have to contend with because most of the politicians in the gold dome have proven they could care less about the health of metro Atlanta or what its specific needs are, despite it being the driver for economic growth in the state, and the voters who send them there (at least the ones outside of Atlanta) are not going to hold that opinion against them.

And even though the politicians will not raise the gas tax, they don't actually want this tax either. They set it up to fail from the start, both by including a bunch of outlying counties in the Atlanta region that are not really part of the core development efforts, and insisting the vote happen in July rather than November.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,820,493 times
It has been set up to fail, but as Metro Atlanta goes, so goes the state, but I don't think the rural legislators are bright enough to understand that. I could go a tirade about the overall poor quality of the members of the GA legislature, but I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or