U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,386,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why will "gas, insurance, maintenance, and time" be more costly?
I moved here from Brooklyn and have found that the costs of owning and operating an automobile offset any savings from reduced housing costs. The housing costs for a single renter aren't that cheap, either. That said, I'm not sure it makes sense to argue about suburbs vs. city in Atlanta. Even if you live ITP it's spread out enough, and MARTA is so limited, you need a car to have any sort of reasonable quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I moved here from Brooklyn and have found that the costs of owning and operating an automobile offset any savings from reduced housing costs. The housing costs for a single renter aren't that cheap, either. That said, I'm not sure it makes sense to argue about suburbs vs. city in Atlanta. Even if you live ITP it's spread out enough, and MARTA is so limited, you need a car to have any sort of reasonable quality of life.
Well, honestly you have a choice of different types of areas within the perimeter. You can choose a more spread-out area or you can choose a compact one where MARTA isn't limited. It's up to you. You won't find a NYC-like transit system or lifestyle in Atlanta, but did you expect one?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
Even if you live ITP it's spread out enough, and MARTA is so limited, you need a car to have any sort of reasonable quality of life.
My wife and I have accomplished living car-free in an older streetcar suburb. We just found a single-family house within walking distance to MARTA, bus routes, grocery, and retail stores.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

I didn't expect transit like NYC but didn't expect it to be worse than Minneapolis, MN. I disagree with your premise though, there is nowhere in the entire metro area where your life won't suck if you don't have a car, except maybe right in Midtown or if you lived and worked in downtown Decatur.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I disagree with your premise though, there is nowhere in the entire metro area where your life won't suck if you don't have a car, except maybe right in Midtown or if you lived and worked in downtown Decatur.
It is possible along the east line. If not close to MARTA rail, then there is a bus route.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Where, though? I work on the east line. The buses are too slow. If I plot my commute on google maps, it takes longer to take the bus (1:12) than it does to walk (49 min). And even if I "take the bus" I still have to walk 20 minutes. It takes 12 minutes to drive. It's basically impossible to buy groceries for the week without a car. I have done it, I was here for almost a month without a car in June, it wasn't pleasant.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
It takes 12 minutes to drive. It's basically impossible to buy groceries for the week without a car. I have done it, I was here for almost a month without a car in June, it wasn't pleasant.
Get you one of those granny grocery carts or carry the bags on the bus. Maybe I'm spoiled because I chose to move within walking distance of a station so I always take the train, but if I need to I can walk to Memorial and catch #21. Where at along the east line?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,549,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I didn't expect transit like NYC but didn't expect it to be worse than Minneapolis, MN. I disagree with your premise though, there is nowhere in the entire metro area where your life won't suck if you don't have a car, except maybe right in Midtown or if you lived and worked in downtown Decatur.
I disagree with your premise as well...there are areas in Atlanta that are walkable, convenient to transit, and liveable without owning a car. You may not be very familiar with them all, but they do exist.

Transit in Minneapolis, with it's 12 miles of tracks, is better than in Atlanta? That sounds odd.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Minneapolis has a better bus system. It's still not good compared to a bustling metropolis like Portland, OR, but it's better than Atlanta's. What other neighborhoods in Atlanta are livable without a car? AFAIK, it's Midtown, maybe VaHi/Little 5 Points, and downtown Decatur. One could argue that Inman/Candler/Lake Claire areas are doable but IMO it's not really feasible to get to a real grocery store easily from those neighborhoods without a car.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Midtown, Downtown for sure. Depends on the person and how much they are willing to walk: Edgewood, Kirkwood, Candler Park, Inman Park, Poncey-Highland, West Midtown, and maybe Old 4th Ward. I am willing to walk at least 1 mile in the summer heat, but I am in great shape too. Bikes help extend the range too and groceries can be carried on a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta