U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
Reputation: 2167

Advertisements

I agree that it's possible to get to places without a car in those neighborhoods, but after awhile it's a real drag to live like that. I used to live in downtown Decatur and worked in Inman without a car. It worked ok that way because there's a Publix right downtown Decatur. But I literally almost never went anywhere besides work and downtown Decatur. Then I moved, and my office moved, so it was more of the opposite commute (Inman area to East Lake) , and I found it to be a real headache to do normal stuff like buy groceries, so I broke down and got a beater car for the rest of my stay in ATL. I am (used to be?) an avid bicyclist and do not recommend it as a way to commute around here because you always end up needing to be on a road that is simply too dangerous.

However, I don't agree with West Midtown unless you mean living in one of those loft blocks and walking across the street and back. Unless West Midtown means GATech area, it seems like you can maybe get around on foot over there. ( I usually think of the area on Marietta where Octane is to be "West Midtown", but maybe it means something else)

I think ATL could maybe expand bus routes, and make bike lanes on some of the quieter side streets. I don't really think there is much it can do for "walkability" since the distances between areas is just too great. But as an immediate solution for personal transportation, it's better to just have a car... any car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
I am an avid bicyclist and do not recommend it as a way to commute around here because you always end up needing to be on a road that is simply too dangerous.
I bike 2 miles from station to work each way. I find it can be treacherous sometimes, but beats driving. You have to make sacrifices, like walking up to 1 mile or riding a bike to work, if 1 wants to be car-free. This is not the older cities up north. Most of Atlanta was built around the car. In my neighborhood, I can walk to a bodega to get milk and other small grocery items, but I'd rather take the pleasant 1 mile walk to Edgewood Retail District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
Reputation: 2167
I guess where I live now, even the closest bodega is almost a 30 minute walk. I think I could do car-free again if I moved back to downtown Decatur or maybe even Oakhurst Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I guess where I live now, even the closest bodega is almost a 30 minute walk. I think I could do car-free again if I moved back to downtown Decatur or maybe even Oakhurst Village.
Oakhurst has no grocery store. Kirkwood or Edgewood would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
Reputation: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Oakhurst has no grocery store. Kirkwood or Edgewood would be better.
I think I'm resigned to getting a ZipCar for groceries (did the same thing in Brooklyn), so I guess I should say car-ownership-free. I have to admit I don't fully understand the boundaries between Edgewood/Kirkwood/Oakhurst. All that said, my project is sort of winding down and I'll probably end up leaving the area for employment reasons come October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I moved here from Brooklyn and have found that the costs of owning and operating an automobile offset any savings from reduced housing costs. The housing costs for a single renter aren't that cheap, either. That said, I'm not sure it makes sense to argue about suburbs vs. city in Atlanta. Even if you live ITP it's spread out enough, and MARTA is so limited, you need a car to have any sort of reasonable quality of life.
Well, certainly if you didn't have a car and now have to add those costs, then it's reasonable to assume your costs could and probably will go up. There are many people in NYC (I was one of them once upon a time), and most in Atlanta, who still own a car even though they have access to transit.

I am questioning this often repeated but mostly false assumption that suburban residents need to commute a long way to the City of Atlanta, and therefore if they lived within the MARTA service area, they would save money and have less travel to contend with each day.

The reality is that if suburban residents commute, they generally commute within the suburbs, so living closer to Atlanta would get them a reverse commute at best, but still nothing that would be reduced by the current MARTA service, or even extensions of the current MARTA service further north.

Last edited by neil0311; 09-07-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
I think I'm resigned to getting a ZipCar for groceries (did the same thing in Brooklyn), so I guess I should say car-ownership-free. I have to admit I don't fully understand the boundaries between Edgewood/Kirkwood/Oakhurst. All that said, my project is sort of winding down and I'll probably end up leaving the area for employment reasons come October.
Kirkwood/Oakhurst= 1st Ave
Kirkwood/Edgewood= Woodbine, Hosea, and Montgomery St.
Quote:
The reality is that if suburban residents commute, they generally commute within the suburbs, so living closer to Atlanta would get them a reverse commute at best, but still nothing that would be reduced by the current MARTA service, or even extensions of the current MARTA service further north.
What about the people that commute from Cherokee County to Gwinnett. If they lived closer, even Smyrna, it would be a less costly commute. As I said before, most people commuting suburb-to-suburb still travel the top-end perimeter. Nobody on here is assuming everyone works in Atlanta, so you can cut that crap out.
The OP is why MARTA is limited, which comes down to only 2 counties, and hopefully Clayton soon, fund the transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What about the people that commute from Cherokee County to Gwinnett. If they lived closer, even Smyrna, it would be a less costly commute. As I said before, most people commuting suburb-to-suburb still travel the top-end perimeter. Nobody on here is assuming everyone works in Atlanta, so you can cut that crap out.
There's no crap to cut out, so give it a rest. The assumptions being made earlier on in the thread were varied, but some of them were along the lines of "suburban residents fear dark skinned people" and so they oppose transit.

I'm merely repeating that suburban residents have real and varied reasons for why they don't see value in transit, especially MARTA, and why they have and will continue to vote against it. So MARTA may continue to be limited because it doesn't provide the suburbs with what the suburbs need...intra-suburban transit. You may disagree, which you're entitled to do, but that doesn't make it "crap" at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Reputation: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, certainly if you didn't have a car and now have to add those costs, then it's reasonable to assume your costs could and probably will go up. There are many people in NYC (I was one of them once upon a time), and most in Atlanta, who still own a car even though they have access to transit.

I am questioning this often repeated but mostly false assumption that suburban residents need to commute a long way to the City of Atlanta, and therefore if they lived within the MARTA service area, they would save money and have less travel to contend with each day.

The reality is that if suburban residents commute, they generally commute within the suburbs, so living closer to Atlanta would get them a reverse commute at best, but still nothing that would be reduced by the current MARTA service, or even extensions of the current MARTA service further north.
Atlanta doesn't have a lot of super efficiency units like NYC... You could live in NYC or somewhere like Chicago cheaper than ATL for a single renter, those cities are made for that. Now, as a single renter in ATL, I'm sure you get far more space... ATL just doesn't have those tiny options you find in major cities. Add a few people or a couple then ATL should get better also. And indeed one of the biggest pitfalls of somebody moving from a major dense city to Atlanta is possibly adding gas costs, purchasing the car itself, as well as car insurance to their bills and the lower salary across the board.

If you are trying to lead a NYC lifestyle in Atlanta, it is simply not going to work, likewise for trying to lead an Atlanta lifestyle in New York.

For some in Atlanta, I'm sure being able to drive different places for getaways, and the nature around there and weather alone trumps New York... For others, the amenities of NYC will trump anything Atlanta have to offer... depends on how much you value different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 05:49 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta doesn't have a lot of super efficiency units like NYC... You could live in NYC or somewhere like Chicago cheaper than ATL for a single renter, those cities are made for that. Now, as a single renter in ATL, I'm sure you get far more space... ATL just doesn't have those tiny options you find in major cities. Add a few people or a couple then ATL should get better also. And indeed one of the biggest pitfalls of somebody moving from a major dense city to Atlanta is possibly adding gas costs, purchasing the car itself, as well as car insurance to their bills and the lower salary across the board.

If you are trying to lead a NYC lifestyle in Atlanta, it is simply not going to work, likewise for trying to lead an Atlanta lifestyle in New York.

For some in Atlanta, I'm sure being able to drive different places for getaways, and the nature around there and weather alone trumps New York... For others, the amenities of NYC will trump anything Atlanta have to offer... depends on how much you value different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top