U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,578,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Atlanta doesn't have a lot of super efficiency units like NYC... You could live in NYC or somewhere like Chicago cheaper than ATL for a single renter, those cities are made for that. Now, as a single renter in ATL, I'm sure you get far more space... ATL just doesn't have those tiny options you find in major cities. Add a few people or a couple then ATL should get better also. And indeed one of the biggest pitfalls of somebody moving from a major dense city to Atlanta is possibly adding gas costs, purchasing the car itself, as well as car insurance to their bills and the lower salary across the board.

If you are trying to lead a NYC lifestyle in Atlanta, it is simply not going to work, likewise for trying to lead an Atlanta lifestyle in New York.

For some in Atlanta, I'm sure being able to drive different places for getaways, and the nature around there and weather alone trumps New York... For others, the amenities of NYC will trump anything Atlanta have to offer... depends on how much you value different things.
I don't disagree with you, and since I'm not a single person trying to live in an urban area, I'm not really qualified to discuss the details of rents. All I will say is that I am a native NYer and have friends and relatives who still live in the city (although more and more are relocating outside the city). Rentals are (and have been for 30 years) becoming harder and harder to find in NY, with rents generally being much higher than Atlanta. Where rentals are not available, then co-ops and condos are the rule.

What you state about a NY lifestyle is absolutely, 100% on target, and it's the problem with some of the positions that people on this forum take. Atlanta is not NY, from many angles and for many reasons, not the least of which is that those cities grew up and matured 100 years ago, while Atlanta is just hitting stride.

Trying to reinvent Atlanta in the mold of NY or Chicago is the problem. Recognize that Atlanta has a different dynamic where the downtown core is not the center of gravity, and the suburbs are not just bedroom communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,382,489 times
Quote:
Trying to reinvent Atlanta in the mold of NY or Chicago is the problem. Recognize that Atlanta has a different dynamic where the downtown core is not the center of gravity, and the suburbs are not just bedroom communities.
Atlanta is very polycentric, it developed during the cars dominance and that is what most of the development is geared towards. The older, intown neighborhoods are a mix of pre-car dominance that has been adapted for car use, still a lot of on-street parking.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM

28,286 posts, read 24,913,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm merely repeating that suburban residents have real and varied reasons for why they don't see value in transit, especially MARTA, and why they have and will continue to vote against it. So MARTA may continue to be limited because it doesn't provide the suburbs with what the suburbs need...intra-suburban transit.
Transit is difficult because employment is so spread out. That's true in a lot of other cities as well, although we're well known for it. Most people live pretty close to where they work, but folks are going every which way around here. There's no one central destination.

Job locations

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 842 times
I really do not care to see Marta extend, specifically further out 20 east because I don't want the public transportation in my community because I have witnessed how public transportation negatively impacts a community.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,382,489 times
Quote:
I really do not care to see Marta extend, specifically further out 20 east because I don't want the public transportation in my community because I have witnessed how public transportation negatively impacts a community.
Full of crap comment. Please tell how mass transit negatively effect the building boom of Buckhead and Perimeter Center?

Last edited by cqholt; 09-11-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 10:15 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,578,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Transit is difficult because employment is so spread out. That's true in a lot of other cities as well, although we're well known for it. Most people live pretty close to where they work, but folks are going every which way around here. There's no one central destination.
My point exactly. You can't build transit everywhere, and building it to downtown only services a small percentage of people. If you have that money to spend, where do you spend it? For example, if we had $800 million, could you spend it more wisely than the once proposed light rail to Cumberland Mall. I say absolutely yes you can spend it more wisely, and should.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,750,903 times
If Atlanta is so spread out that there's no central focus, how come the roads into Atlanta are clogged to the hilt inbound in the mornings, then outbound in the evenings? If there weren't people trying to get to Atlanta, shouldn't the roads either be clearer, but heavier both directions, or just as clogged in both directions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer65 View Post
So what country with a failed transit plan did you come from? I'm not attacking you, I'm curious to know, because I can't think of any community in the United States that has been completely, negatively affected by transit coming to that community.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 42,775 times
Default Marta

Marta does suck but what's worse is not having a fixed, printed schedule of the arrivals/departures. This includes the buses. I lived in Prague, Czech Republic for 16 years. Prague has, by far, the best public transportation anywhere in the world. But the best thing about it is that you can know the exact time table of the entire system. You can look on line or your mobile to see what time a train or subway or bus arrives or departs. And it's like Swiss timing. Atlanta, and almost every other US city has no schedule posted so you just wait and hope. Come on, they can do it if they put a bit of effort into it. The same bus drives up and down Peachtree everyday. MARTA officials can't figure out the time between stops and formulate a schedule? I guess I got spoiled living in Europe.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,603,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praguer56 View Post
Marta does suck but what's worse is not having a fixed, printed schedule of the arrivals/departures. This includes the buses. I lived in Prague, Czech Republic for 16 years. Prague has, by far, the best public transportation anywhere in the world. But the best thing about it is that you can know the exact time table of the entire system. You can look on line or your mobile to see what time a train or subway or bus arrives or departs. And it's like Swiss timing. Atlanta, and almost every other US city has no schedule posted so you just wait and hope. Come on, they can do it if they put a bit of effort into it. The same bus drives up and down Peachtree everyday. MARTA officials can't figure out the time between stops and formulate a schedule? I guess I got spoiled living in Europe.
Prague may have a more efficient transit system than Atlanta, but there are a host of economic and social issues there that you don't have to deal with in Atlanta and the U.S in general.

There are always tradeoffs.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,750,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praguer56 View Post
They're on MARTA's website and at MARTA bus stops.
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority That link takes you to the red line schedule.
MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority And that's bus route 110 for instance, the same bus that drives up and down Peachtree everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta