U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM

9,603 posts, read 10,975,784 times

Advertisements

Did Marta cut service to buses and trains? I thought it was just buses. I ask that because Marta rail ridership is down even though gas prices are up. Anybody have any idea why rail ridership would be falling more than bus ridership? I can understand bus ridership being down, but why would rail ridership drop?

Q2 2012 Marta Rail = 223,800 daily riders -4.14% YTD
Q2 2012 Marta Bus = 190,300 daily riders -1.29% YTD

http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM

28,237 posts, read 24,838,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Did Marta cut service to buses and trains? I thought it was just buses. I ask that because Marta rail ridership is down even though gas prices are up. Anybody have any idea why rail ridership would be falling more than bus ridership? I can understand bus ridership being down, but why would rail ridership drop?

Maybe because the job market is so weak here?

And there could be a shift to more driving.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,307,217 times
Quote:

They reduced the frequency by a good bit making it less convenient and in a few cases more convenient to be on the road for a few extra minutes.

The trains also tend to be more crowded and uncomfortable with the lower frequency.

but the situation is more complicated...

Many of the people who use and rely on MARTA are making a bus to rail connection, so reductions in one service affect the other.

and to make it even more complicated... Rail.. in particular... is greatly affected by the amount of convention traffic, types of conventions, and business travelers we have in a season. Many people forget we are are a huge convention and trade show town and those venues are downtown directly conected to rail and the airport. That alone can cause quarterly fluctuations.

so its kind of tough to tell... but those are the things to look at.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,738,563 times
Have they reduced the schedule? I thought the trains always ran on 15 minute headways until after 7:00pm?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,307,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Have they reduced the schedule? I thought the trains always ran on 15 minute headways until after 7:00pm?
well I guess the cuts are technically 2 years old now, but I think they were previously 10/15 head ways instead of 15/20

with the intown portion of the North-south line was 5 minutes vs 7-8 minutes

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,738,563 times
That's true, up until May '11, I used to call MARTA the "world's worst transit system" then I put my money where my mouth was and actually rode it. So I wasn't really paying attention to schedules or headways or anything like that before then.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,826,592 times
Quote:
That's true, up until May '11, I used to call MARTA the "world's worst transit system" then I put my money where my mouth was and actually rode it. So I wasn't really paying attention to schedules or headways or anything like that before then.
I call the personal vehicle the world's worst transportation system because I've had years of experience driving, and after using MARTA, LYNX, CATS, and WMATA, I realized how much easier, cheaper, and over all more convienant it was.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,429,328 times
Quote:
Atlanta (marta)>>>>>>rail systems in LA, San Diego, Houston,Dallas, everywhere in the south except for Dc and everywhere in the west coast except for San Fran. We are only one of the few cities that have heavy rail connections to our airport. Anybody who say otherwise is either just hating or they never traveled anywhere.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,429,328 times
Quote:

It's not fair to only post the Q2 stats. That's like only posting the murder rate in Chicago during the winter

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM

22,274 posts, read 16,310,747 times
Quote:
Atlanta (marta)>>>>>>rail systems in LA, San Diego, Houston,Dallas, everywhere in the south except for Dc and everywhere in the west coast except for San Fran. We are only one of the few cities that have heavy rail connections to our airport. Anybody who say otherwise is either just hating or they never traveled anywhere.
DC only to Reagan. It was such a pain getting from LaGuardia to the NYC subway.
The only transit systems with direct rail connection to their Int'l Airport is Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, St. Louis, Seattle, & San Francisco. Miami is like NYC, with a People mover from HRT stations to the terminal. MARTA building a station inside the terminal was forward thinking and helped Atlanta be a primer convention city. Tourist enjoy being able to get off a plane and board a subway to their hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta