U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,539,483 times

Advertisements

I would love if if MARTA was extended all the way to Duluth and Norcross but I guess thats wishful thinking. I am yet to ride MARTA though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,416,157 times
To be honest, I don't think MARTA needs to extend much farther out than it already does. Atlanta is spread out. The cost for Heavy Rail is high and the frequency is not necessary for many of these suburban areas. Dead horse, I know, but commuter rail fills the Cobb and Gwinnett voids. MARTA should leave its expansion mostly ITP. Fill the void on the east side of town. Build legit heavy rail on the Clifton Corridor. Past that I don't see any reason to expand the system. A high frequency dedicated ROW is not necessary to serve suburban Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM

28,019 posts, read 25,108,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I realize that some people think density is the gold standard, but not everyone agrees. In Atlanta many of the largest companies choose suburban locations. That's where many of the high paying jobs tend to be located as well.
Suburban, but not exurban. The largest job centers are still in reasonably dense areas.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,601,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
To be honest, I don't think MARTA needs to extend much farther out than it already does. Atlanta is spread out. The cost for Heavy Rail is high and the frequency is not necessary for many of these suburban areas. Dead horse, I know, but commuter rail fills the Cobb and Gwinnett voids. MARTA should leave its expansion mostly ITP. Fill the void on the east side of town. Build legit heavy rail on the Clifton Corridor. Past that I don't see any reason to expand the system. A high frequency dedicated ROW is not necessary to serve suburban Atlanta.
it doesn't go enough places in townó the clifton corridor is now going to be a lame-ass streetcar (they said light rail, but it's going to run in the street about 50% of the way).

here's a list off the top of my head of places marta doesn't serve:

-virginia highland
-west midtown
-buckhead outside of the lenox square area which has two stations
-the entirety of southeast atlanta, including grant park, ormewood park, east atlanta, chosewood park and all the SAND communites
-cascade
-poncey-highland

to say marta does not need to expand, is quite silly. also i believe many of the names of the stations should be changed because they don't properly represent the neighbourhoods they're located inó ie: "garnett". garnett street is about 20 feet long and the only people who know about it are intricately familiar with downtown. the station should be called "south downtown".

Old 07-08-2012, 02:41 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,416,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
to say marta does not need to expand, is quite silly.
I was referring to extending marta farther outside the perimeter.

I pretty much directly agreed with you in my comments.

Best possible MARTA additon eva : The West Midtown - North Peachtree line. Starting at MultiModal station / 5points. Stops at the Pemberton Place, Georgia Tech, Atlantic Station, Piedmont Hospital, Downtown Buckhead. This would be crazy expensive, completely underground, but one of the most useful additions MARTA could dream of.
Edit: Made an alternate route that better serves West Midtown and has more opportunity for elevated/ground.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...010026,0.01929

Last edited by tikigod311; 07-08-2012 at 02:59 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:

Best possible MARTA additon eva : The West Midtown - North Peachtree line. Starting at MultiModal station / 5points. Stops at the Pemberton Place, Georgia Tech, Atlantic Station, Piedmont Hospital, Downtown Buckhead. This would be crazy expensive, completely underground, but one of the most useful additions MARTA could dream of.
Edit: Made an alternate route that better serves West Midtown and has more opportunity for elevated/ground.

you just mentioned the clifton corridor so i thought that's all you were advocating.

here's a map i made a while back, i did a similar sort of thing in west midtown, but with one line that runs out to cobb with a west midtown line intersecting it:

Bryant's MARTA ideas - Google Maps

since the brookwood MARTA station is going to be replaced by one either downtown or in atlantic station sometime soon, i think it would be an AWESOME idea to use the existing building as a MARTA station.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM

22,314 posts, read 16,341,517 times
Quote:

That corridor is slated to have Streetcar route connecting to the downtown streetcar loop and a midotwn connection to the BeltLine. If the TIA passes that are will see transit service in 10 years. The midtown connection should be routed to 10th st since it sees more traffic, piedmont park, and higher concentration of jobs. HRT should be extended to Cumberland to up 400, since there is no existing railroad to run commuter rail. The clifton corridor can stay LRT since LRT will allow extension to Avondale, while HRT would have to stop. Also, extend the green line to Tucker, thru Lake Claire, North Decatur(connection with clifton corridor), and Druid Hills.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM

22,314 posts, read 16,341,517 times
Quote:
i think it would be an AWESOME idea to use the existing building as a MARTA station.
Can't there is no rail line running adjacent to it and the ROW is very congested with freight rail.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Can't there is no rail line running adjacent to it and the ROW is very congested with freight rail.
of course it would involve building a new line (check out the map i posted)

Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,153,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharynu View Post
I just looked at the train map. It looks like there is a whole line missing that should go northwest out to East Cobb. A train line that runs northwest and goes to Marietta would be great. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but what is the deal with public transportation? Atlanta is a large metropolitan city. I am possibly moving here from DC. While our metro system is expensive, it runs pretty well to the different suburbs. I am trying to find a good subdivision near Atlanta and my husband would be working downtown. I heard that Marietta schools are really good if you are going to public school. Yet, there is no MARTA out that way.
Yes you are beating a dead horse. A northwest line is clearly needed but it's in a different county so politics set in. The same is true with Gwinnett. The northeast line should extend there too. Luckily, if Milton County ever is formed, a train line already goes up there, but it should go further up to Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta