Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM

369 posts, read 657,296 times

Advertisements

Metro train derails near Washington | The Nation

Metro is the epitome of Washington, lots of money thrown at it but little results, uncompetitive and still full of problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:27 PM

139 posts, read 207,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post

Metro is the epitome of Washington, lots of money thrown at it but little results, uncompetitive and still full of problems.
I believe you've crossed a line of bad taste here. That was a one-time tragedy in which people died. How dare you use this photograph to support your feeble circular logic. Atlanta has reached a new low if its citizens like you find triumph in tragedies like this. How very dare you!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
I believe you've crossed a line of bad taste here. That was a one-time tragedy in which people died. How dare you use this photograph to support your feeble circular logic. Atlanta has reached a new low if its citizens like you find triumph in tragedies like this. How very dare you!
I agree, but with all due respect... You guys came in here with a chip on your shoulder in several threads putting us down in a unwarranted fashion.

I'll gladly call him out on it, but go play your sympathy cards somewhere else.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yes you are beating a dead horse. A northwest line is clearly needed but it's in a different county so politics set in. The same is true with Gwinnett. The northeast line should extend there too. Luckily, if Milton County ever is formed, a train line already goes up there, but it should go further up to Alpharetta.
I've posted this before but the politics of MARTA were complicated from get go. When the first MARTA referendum was held in 1968, it was soundly rejected by all the metro counties and the city of Atlanta, including "pro-transit" Fulton and DeKalb. In the city the vote was 58% against, with only 42% in favor.

Even in the second referendum MARTA barely squeaked by, and it still didn't carry in Fulton County outside the city limits.

Cobb, Gwinnett, Clayton and North Fulton were just beginning to see major growth. They had lots of rural and sparsely populated areas. Gwinnett's density was a mere 165 people per square mile -- 1/10 of what it is today. There was simply no need for rail transit in the suburban counties back then.

Unfortunately metro Atlanta hasn't done much investing in transportation since MARTA and the expressway system were built out.

Hopefully we can muster the will to get moving again.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:

I think, this website just used a stock photo from the 2009 crash since they aren't any pictures of the crash from Friday.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM

369 posts, read 657,296 times
Quote:
How dare you actually... I have every right to because I'm one those people that could have died in that 2009 crash. That article above is actually not about the 2009 crash but ANOTHER CRASH that happened on Friday July 6, 2012 not 2009. I also find it funny how you called it a "one-time tragedy" there have been several accidents before and after the 2009 crash that killed people or put them in serious harms way.

This is why metro doesn't need to receive or get a dedicated funding source, what was all the weekend track work, delays, line closing, adding 30-45min to my trip, CONSTANT FARE INCREASES etc etc if this stuff still happens?

And of course the train has to derail in Prince George's and point east in the D.C. area! Those areas that are "less wealthy". That's where you'll find all the old original cars still in use from the 1970s like the one that crashed in 2009, I never see those cars in use when I'm would go to national airport or points west in va or dc.

The sad part till this day those cars haven't been replaced. You would think new cars would arrive a year after the 2009 crash at most but they're still sticking to their stupid theory that placing a bunch of old cars between two new ones at each end is gonna keep people safe! More like end up like an accordion!

I'd gladly give MARTA dedicated funding over metro.

Last edited by readyset; 07-08-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
MARTA is a lot safer and has a better on-time record than Washington Metro. Our cars are cleaner too. Metro is bigger, but MARTA does more with less.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
I dont know if i can agree about MARTA and timeliness. If your running 15 minutes apart, they should be on time since there is no train within 5-6 miles of each other, yet MARTA still manages plenty of delays, so that 15 mins apart can easily become 20+ during rush hour. I dont see much difference in cleanliness of MARTA vs DC metro, if anything when i go to DC there trains are cleaner. I agree MARTA does the best it can with the little money it gets, but the buses are a joke now since the reroutes of last year in which buses are merged with other routes.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:

Talk about ignorance! Like I said, maybe you should just try to enjoy your new home. Your anger is blinding you!

Heat wave caused Green Line to derail, investigators say | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
How dare you actually... I have every right to because I'm one those people that could have died in that 2009 crash. That article above is actually not about the 2009 crash but ANOTHER CRASH that happened on Friday July 6, 2012 not 2009. I also find it funny how you called it a "one-time tragedy" there have been several accidents before and after the 2009 crash that killed people or put them in serious harms way.

This is why metro doesn't need to receive or get a dedicated funding source, what was all the weekend track work, delays, line closing, adding 30-45min to my trip, CONSTANT FARE INCREASES etc etc if this stuff still happens?

And of course the train has to derail in Prince George's and point east in the D.C. area! Those areas that are "less wealthy". That's where you'll find all the old original cars still in use from the 1970s like the one that crashed in 2009, I never see those cars in use when I'm would go to national airport or points west in va or dc.

The sad part till this day those cars haven't been replaced. You would think new cars would arrive a year after the 2009 crash at most but they're still sticking to their stupid theory that placing a bunch of old cars between two new ones at each end is gonna keep people safe! More like end up like an accordion!

I'd gladly give MARTA dedicated funding over metro.

Could you please post even one article about a metro accident where someone died since that 2009 crash? Thanks! Suicides don't count as accidents by the way. Metro is getting completly overhauled right now and will be in top shape by about 2014. This argument you are having with yourself is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta